“Small but extremely nice hotel! Really value for money!!!”

The Alcove Library Hotel
Ranked #25 of 476 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have stayed In this rather new hotel for 2 nights from 10 to 12 December 2012.

Positives:
1. The hotel is very near the airport.
2. It's surrounding is very peaceful and safe.
3. The room is small but very clean.
4. The bed is very comfortable.
5. The staff are extremely polite and helpful - always wearing great smile; all speak good English!
6. The breakfast was limited but it was great taste - I had the Vietnamese Pho for 2 days!
7. The design of the hotel building is very unique and cosy.

Negatives:
1. It does not have shopping areas around the street - may be I am not familiar as yet.
2. The toilet sliding frosted glass door and panel not suitable to younger kid/s with parents.
3. My room is totally lack of any views as the window cannot be opened at all.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank LML1963

Reviewed December 7, 2012

The lobby of the hotel was nicely decorated with special "library" feel. The room was clean and spacious. We were offered welcome drinks, fruits and chocolate when we just arrived.
The staff in this hotel was extremely helpful. We went to Vietnam for taking pre-wedding photos. The hotel staff not only allowed us to take photos in the lobby and restaurants, but they even offered help during the shooting!
I misunderstood that airport transfer was complimentary, but the hotel was so generous to offer us airport pick-up when we arrived. Thank you again!
The location is great, but the front door may not be easy to find at first.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank kylieyky
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

I would recommend this hotel for anyone who values good quality beds, pillows, etc, that are essential for a good rest. Hotel staff are v helpful and polite. Location off main city centre. We had a wonderful stay here!!

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank TanYangMeng
Reviewed December 5, 2012

A cute boutique hotel; a sweet house with a grand entrance converted into The Alcove. Smoking is prohibited in the building but you can smoke in the garden outside the front of the hotel or upstairs on the roof. The Alcove is pretty close to the airport and the fare is approximately Vietnamese Dong (VD) 80,000.00 (US$ 3.85) which includes the highway toll (VD10,000.00). If you leave the airport when it is not rush hour, you can use regular road and it is cheaper.
Most of the houses in cities in Vietnam do not have windows. Most houses use glass roofs to let the light in. This is a common feature, hence there are no windows in the rooms. You should however, leave the room door open for a bit; to let fresh air in, before you leave the room for the day.
Unfortunately, none of the rooms have hot water in the sink (basin). There is of course, hot water in the shower and you can always improvise by using the hand shower to bring hot water to the sink.
A word of caution; the hotel is in a narrow zig zag lane. On certain nights young boys hang around at the corner. If you are female and traveling alone, I advise you to take a taxi back to the hotel to be on the safe side. You will also find out that taxis are extremely cheap in Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) City.
The Alcove is in District 1. Saigon is made up of many districts. District 1 is closest to anywhere you would like to go as a tourist. District 10 is far away and mostly local residents. Everything is within VD 30,000/40,000 fare range.
On the 5th floor of The Alcove, there is a lovely restaurant called 'Roadhouse Saigon'. The service is beyond excellent. Roadhouse serves a mixture of western style dishes. You will find an excellent burger or a Quesadilla or they will make something to enhance your palate. All items are tasty and they have a reasonably fair wine list. Roadhouse has a decent bar and prices are very reasonable. It's a little bit of America in the middle of District 1 Saigon.
Taxi drivers are inventive thieves. They will find a way to take the long route. If you think you are a victim, do not pay. Get out of the taxi once you arrive at the hotel, and report to the receptionist.They will take the taxi driver to task. You can also threaten to dial 113.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank hzy16c
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I would like to thank the Alcove hotels's staff & management for being so accommodating and friendly during our summer stay in HCMC. The location is fantastic, between the airport and the city. The staff is so helpful. The rooms are very comfortable, with the exception of a missing mini fridge. The rates are incredibly reasonable, value for money wise, and the restraunt rooftop is great for a beer!
Thanks again guys!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Marwan L
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Went to the Library hotel for a stopover (arriving in the evening in HCM, next morning to Mui Ne). The location is great for a stop over since it is close to the airport (10-15 minutes) but the city can still be reached easily in 15-20 minutes by taxi.
The area is quiet, the hotel staff is very friendly, rooms are clean and comfortable. The rooftop restaurant is also nice to relax at the end of the day.
After staying there the first stop-over we decided directly to book the same hotel for the night before we fly back.

Room Tip: Rooms to the street have windows to look out, the rooms to the side (the ones we have seen) have opa...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Thorsten S
Reviewed November 4, 2012

In my last two trips to HCM city, I stayed near the Ben Thanh market and I thought I would never change hotel.... Until this last trip where I stayed at The Alcove Library Hotel. It's just 7-8 minutes away from the airport and about 10 minutes to the city area. I thought the location was a big minus but soon realised that it's so so easy to get a cab to anywhere, the location is NO PROBLEM at all.

The hotel is just beautiful, has a very tranquil feel. It's really a world away from the hustle and bustle and madness of HCM city. The hotel staff are just WONDERFUL. Service with a smile and from the heart. Very attentive. When I asked for some instant coffee in my room, I expected a pack of 3-in-1 coffee and was surprised that I was served a cup of piping hot cappuccino. (I think it came from a packet but what a nice touch to be served hot coffee in my room. Nice!)

Another day, I waited at the lobby for my business partner to pick me up and she was an hour late. The door man asked me if I would like a drink and I got another cup of coffee. I love these little personal touches and guests will get plenty of these touches here. I came back one night with a swollen foot after a fall. The staff offered to send me to the doctor. Later, they came back with medicated oil for me and said - no charge.

It is 5-star hotel service and feel, with 3-star hotel price.

I love the room. The bed is SO COMFORTABLE. I totally love the pillows and comforter. I slept like a baby every single night. I so look forward to bedtime haha!. And I appreciate the turn down service each night - with a piece of chocolate, a flower and a bedtime story. So sweet.

The fifth floor houses the Roadhouse Saigon Restaurant - an American diner. The food is very good. I had an outstanding roast duck salad with mango and a warm spinach salad with mushroom. YUMMY. And the juiciest, most delicious wagyu burger! Complimentary breakfast there every morning too. Another night i took a friend there and we sat outside to have drinks. The balmy night air and the peace and quiet ... gosh, it was wonderful. My Vietnamese friend thanked me for introducing the place to her!

Whether you are on business or on holiday or even on honeymoon, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business