“Feedback”

Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel
Ranked #36 of 476 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed January 1, 2014

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Write a ReviewReviews (1,644)

Reviewed December 31, 2013

After a bad experience at another hotel I made a reservation at the Novotel. I had never stayed at an Accor hotel before, so this was my first experience staying at a Novotel. It's located on a major road and you can easily walk to all the tourist spots. The room was done up quite nicely and was very comfortable. The toiletries provided were great. The breakfast spread was alright. It could be improved. My biggest complain was the staff. Although they were efficient, they weren't exactly friendly. It would help if they were told about the importance of smiling. The concierge wasn't helpful but found some of the porters a lot more helpful with directions. Overall while certainly not the best hotel, there really wasn't much to find fault with.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Dear brianonthego,

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write your comments on your last stay with us. We are most concerned with the satisfaction of all our guests and your feedback will allow us to adjust and better our services and facilities.

I wish & your family a prosperous & happy new year 2014.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed for only one night on Dec 3 unfortunately but will certainly be back. It is a brand new hotel and so everything in the room and lobby looked great but more importantly in Vietnam it all worked.Oh and the breakfast was also great. This hotel is way above the usual Novotel brand in Europe so don't think you are going anything other than a first class hotel, that is well run with staff that are properly trained in customer service another unusual thing in Vietnam . The room has every mod con including a very good "modesty" switch that makes the bathroom glass opaque . What is this new trend of see through bathroom and loos ? We stayed at the Grand Hotel later in December which was truly awful and yearned for the Novotel. Nearby are excellent pho stalls and some great bars as well as cheap clothes shops. The main sites are walkable with maybe a taxi back or v.v. The taxis we took from the Novotel all put their meters on so no problems .

Dear Mike J

Thank for your kind feedback & hope to see you soon in Saigon.

I wish you & your family a prosperous & happy new year 2014.

Best regards,

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We are currently spending our last night here and have thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel rooms are beautiful, we are located in room 603 which is on the corner of the building and has a large floor to ceiling curved window looking straight out onto the intersection.
The room is kept really clean by very friendly cleaning staff. They have a really good sized swimming pool plus a smaller pool for young children which our grandchild enjoyed very much.
My husband enjoyed the steam room.
The breakfast is very good with lots to choose from, there is also an area with toys to keep small children occupied.
The hotel is located in District 3 but still close to everything, you can catch a taxi or walk like we did to Ben Thanh markets. Would definitely return to Saigon and stay here again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Susan H

I am very pleased indeed to hear you really enjoyed your stay with us and will convey your compliment to the Chef.

I wish you & your family a prosperous & happy new year 2014.

Best regards,

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed here for one night in September. The hotel is not in the city center, but taking a cab to anywhere you needed to go in Saigon was less than $2. It's a short walk to the War Remnants museum and a longer, but pleasant walk to the city. It was very clean and comfortable, and all in all a great deal. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelboundDC
NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear travelboundDC,

Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Your review will serve as an encouragement to all of us as we continuously strive to improve our services further.

If you have a chance to come back to Saigon again, please do not hesitate to let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.

Best Regards,

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed here for two nights, the breakfast is good. And there is a place for children to play when the parents having breakfast. The staff are friendly. My daughter love the swimming pool. We will stay in this hotel when we come back to Saigon.

Dear Chunje X,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed it.
Please rest assured that your feedback will be shared with our staff and this will serve as an encouragement to all of us as we continuously strive to improve our services.

Best Regards,

Reviewed December 28, 2013

My overall experience at Novotel Saigon was good. The quality and friendliness of the staff, and the overall atmosphere and amenities at the hotel matched its 4-star rating. I found the staff at the reception desk and the cleaning staff to be commended for their efforts to make me happy as a guest. The fact that a credible taxi company (Vinasun) always had many cabs waiting at the hotel entrance, and the hotel staff wrote down the taxi number for me and handed it to me in a note was pretty unique and convenient. I appreciate it.

I also notice the manager does read TripAdvisor comments and reply -- that's also one of the reasons I decided to give this hotel a try in the first place.

In interest of helping the hotel improve and reach the 5-star level, I'd like to offer the followings:

First, I was taken by surprise at check-in, when the receptionist asked me to show my Accor membership card, and was quite insistent in doing so. I have many credit cards and membership cards, and I don't bring all of them with me. I had entered the card number at reservation, so I didn't see the need of bringing it with me. When I made my reservations at the Renaissance and Sofitel, both also in Saigon, also as an elite client, I wasn't asked for my card. After a long trip, I was expecting to have a room and rest, not to be facing the possibility that my reservation may have to be canceled or changed. Although I understand this may be the hotel chain's policy, I suggest this practice be abolished. Unless you're assuming your customers may have stolen someone else's card, I don't see the reason why for such a check, and why that check could be a crucial part toward the check-in process. I've stayed at other 4- and 5-star hotels in the U.S. at least twice every year, and none of the hotels gave me such a hard time asking for a physical membership card at check-in. I may have been living in America for too long, but Novotel Saigon apparently has been still entrenched in modern Vietnam's backward business practices, i.e. the business owners are always suspicious that their customers could be cheating them out of something. In my opinion, I believe you should be encouraging the Western way of doing business, not the ever-on-the-edge-of-suspicion (đề cao cảnh giác) "socialist" (in a more relaxed definition -- I don't want to say "commie") Vietnamese way. BTW, I did have a photo of my card in my iPhone, but I was too tired, frustrated, and too fed up with this practice, I decided to not show my card to make a point. Fortunately, the receptionist still had a sense of customer service, and decided to stop her inquiry. Otherwise, I suppose this matter could have gotten escalated, and it could have been worse. Still, I would've maintained my position, that I didn't deserve to be placed under such a scrutiny by choosing to be a Novotel customer.

Second, I notice that the king-sized bed room my family was assigned to, albeit an upgrade, was really small. That, I believe, is a trade-off. If you want a bigger room, make your reservation instead at the Sofitel or other 5-star hotels. I don't know if Novotel Saigon can do anything about it, but you should be aware that your king-bed rooms are too small for a family of three. Perhaps you can advise your customers at check-in so that they can pay a little more for a bigger room. Otherwise, that kind of room could not be comfortable for even a small family. Our room had a good view, but I wish I had upgraded to a bigger room.

Besides those two points above, I found the Novotel Saigon was close to be one of the better-managed hotels in Saigon where I've stayed. For people traveling with a family, I would recommend reserving a bigger room than the first choice given a reservation. I also sincerely hope Novotel Saigon management takes my comments to heart and improve their check-in experience so that the next time I stay there, it'll be the perfect experience!

Room Tip: If you travel with a family, the standard room can be too small. Consider an upgrade to a bigger roo...