“Very worthy of its Four Star rating”

Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel
Ranked #36 of 457 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Sydney, Australia
“Very worthy of its Four Star rating”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed here twice in recent weeks. I am a regular user of Novotel hotels, having stayed in them in four different countries and on two different continents. This Saigon Centre Novotel is the newest, being only around a year from launch date. The inclusion of numerous modernities that I've not seen anywhere else - Novotel or otherwise - impressed me. They may be simple little touches, but they all add to the overall experience with a bit of a surprise and *wow* factor. For example, instead of the usual cardboard (or laminate) signs to hang on your door knob to say either "Please clean this room" or "Do not disturb" - signs the tend to fall off or flip over or otherwise just be fiddly - Saigon Centre Novotel has eliminated them and replaced them with light switches. A red light means 'do not disturb'. A blue light means 'clean my room'. That's just one example. There were a dozen clever little new ideas built into this new hotel.

The rooms are clean and spacious. The bathrooms are spacious, comfortable and have some novel privacy features built in. WiFi is free, high speed and very stable.

Staff are fast with any queries and will be to your room almost instantly if you call for any form of assistance. The staff are also very well trained in how & when to smile, so you always have a welcome feeling here.

The restaurant, "The Square" on the second floor is everything I've come to expect from a Novotel. Their buffets never disappoint. Very fresh, plenty of variety, good service.

If I was to raise any negative factors, they would have to include:

a) I was a bit surprised that many of the staff had only the most elementary of English language skills. Others were excellent, but having stayed at other Novotels in non-English language countries - including another in Vietnam - I would have expected Saigon staff overall to have higher English language skills. (That said, I just have to keep reminding myself that *I* am the outsider here, the English-speaking person in a non-English speaking country, so the problem is really more mine than theirs.)

b) The location was a bit inconvenient, though the taxis are cheap enough to quickly get you anywhere to find anything you need. It would be nice, though, if a pharmacy, a convenience store, and such like were in brief walking distance, rather than being either a taxi ride away, or a very long walk on stinking hot summer days. Maybe, though, given that this hotel is new, such services will gradually open closer by as local small business sees the need to service the hotel clients.

c) The lack of a 'tours desk' surprised me. There isn't even a stand with brochures of available tour services, much less any staff operating a tours desk and taking bookings. The lack of such a service seems quite unusual for a Novotel. (I understand that you can ask the Concierge for suggestions, but that's hardly the same thing.)

Overall, though, the positives outweigh those negatives by a hundred to one. The Novotel Saigon Centre comes with my strong recommendation.

Room Tip: If you want sitting facilities in your room, make sure you ask for a room with a two-seater sofa. So...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear HappyTrevor,

Warmest greetings from Novotel Saigon Centre and thank you very much for sharing your recent experience with us here on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stays with us. Please rest assured that I will share your comments with the team and I am sure this will serve as an encouragement to all of us. I am glad you found the internet to be fast and stable as we just recently upgraded our internet.

I also would like to thank you for your constructive feedback as this will allow us to even further improve our services. We have already beginner English classes scheduled to start this month and I hope that this will allow for an improvement of English level of the staff.
We also do have a tour desk which is located at concierge. I do apologise that this has not been pointed out to you by my colleagues and I will follow up on that with them.

Thank you again and if you have the chance to come back, please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance. It would be a pleasure to welcome you again at Novotel Saigon Centre.

Lionel.Moinard@accor.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Australia
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

We have never been to HCMC and didn't know what to expect from the city, people or accommodation.
Well the people are lovely, the city is developing in front of you and the Novotel Saigon is truly fantastic. Rooms are spacious and bright, a great place to come back to after being out in the Vietnamese heat. The buffet breakfast is great and in a room filled with light and the view of Saigons streets.
Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear MM1959,

Thank you very much for your review and for staying with us.

I am absolutely delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Rest assured that I will be sharing your review with the rest of the team and I am certain they will be as pleased as I am to ehar about it.

I do hope to welcome you back again in the not too distant future and if I ever can be of any assistance to you, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Loved this hotel. Checkin was a breeze, we were there early and were upgraded which was unexpected and awesome.
The room was lovely, beds were a litle small but not a problem. The minibar was fully stocked as well as free bottled water daily and free coffee machine with pods!!!!!! very modern!
Hotel was close to all locations and a great frenc bakery nearbye had our business daily.
We weer able to navigate to meeting places for Saigon after dark (highly recommend...do it)
the tunnel tour drop off/pick up and meekong delta drop off and pick up.
My friend fell ill on our last night before we were due to fly to nha trang and the nght staff were so so lovely calling the airline and trying to arange new flights for us as we didn't speak a word of vietnamese. They were so helpful and went above and beyond.
Overall hotel was clean, quiet and close!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank brittanybrittany
Dear brittanybrittany,

Thank you very much for taking some of your valuable time and posting a review here on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you enjoyed your holiday with us and that my colleagues made you feel at home.

I am sorry that you friend fell ill in the last night (I trust your friend has fully recovered by now) but I am glad that our night shift were able to help. Please rest assured that I will be sharing your comments with them and I am sure they will be very pleased to hear them.

Thank you again and if you have a chance to come back to Saigon again, please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back at Novotel Saigon Centre.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The hotel was extremely well appointed. The wifi was excellent and free, The food was good and the service was also very good. I found the personnel very friendly and helpful. The concierge's recommendation of a tour was spot on. We did a river/Delta tour which was very informative. I did do another half day tour to the Vietnam War Museum which I do not recommend as it was very confronting and one sided with the most shocking photographs - but if you have strong stomach then give it a go.
The hotel breakfast is definitely worth a mention as it was the best of any hotel I have even seen. It encompassed everything from eggs, salads, vegetables, cold meats, pastries, soup, noodles and even ice cream! It was a true experience

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Graham A,

Warm greetings from Novotel Saigon Centre and thank you very much for your review.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and it would be a pleasure to welcome you back again.

I provided my email below and please do not hesitate to contact me directly prior to your next stay in Saigon and I would be pleased to be of any assistance to you and welcome you back personally.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Very helpfull,friendly staff,nothing too much trouble.The executive lounge was well equipped,snacks available all day long,two hours of complimentary cocktails and wine every day.Hotel right on the edge of district 1.Easy walking distance to markets and restaurants.Buffet breakfast was excellent,many styles of food to choose from.great pho bo!Staff were very helpfull with checking and confirmation of flights.would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Hairandwine,

Thank you for taking the time to write me your kind comments concerning our executive floor. It is a great pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

With my repeated thanks for your feedback, I am looking forward to welcoming you back at Novotel Saigon Centre soon.

Best regards,
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This hotel is brand new, has wonderful rooms and service. Especially the concierge service was excellent. The breakfast had everything you wish. There was nothing to complain about. Last day we ate a vegetarian burger on the bar, which was really delicious. We would stay there again if we came back. You feel like almost in a 5 star hotel. You can reach the war museum in about 15 minutes from there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kathy_Ba77,

Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Your review will serve as an encouragement to all of us as we continuously strive to improve our services further.

If you have a chance to come back to Saigon again, please do not hesitate to let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.

Best Regards,
Lionel Moinards
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We spent a couple of nights here in room 1611. After a delayed flight & arriving in the early hours we were greeted by friendly staff. The room was spacious with a great view. The bathroom was amazing...loved the glass wall that you could change to a frost look for privacy. The bed was very big & comfortable. Breakfast was included in the rate which was very reasonably priced. We ate in the restaurant & the selection & quality of foods was excellent. Room service was very prompt. We had issues with the wifi but was resolved after we contacted staff about this. Staff in general were always helpful & very friendly. I would highly recommend a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear SusanDun,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please rest assured that I will be sharing your comments with our team, especially the kitchen, and I am sure that this will serve as an encouragement to all of us as we always try to further improve our services.

We do hope to welcome you again soon.

Best Regards,