“Best breakfast in Vietnam”

Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel
Ranked #35 of 448 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Melbourne, Australia
“Best breakfast in Vietnam”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Have just finished a 2 week trip in the country, and spent the last couple of days at Novotel. Stayed in a standard room, and found it more than comfortable, with plenty of room. The 'privacy' glass between the bathroom and bedroom worked a treat. Clean, spacious, and good air con. The only problem with the room was a weak wifi signal. It worked fine in the lobby, restaurant and pool area, but not in the bedroom.

The overall facilities of the hotel were great, especially for the price. It is a modern hotel, and the staff were kind and gracious. There was no problems in communicating with staff. The pool area was nice, and refreshing after a hot day. The pool temperature is a tad cool when you hop in, but you quickly acclimatise. The spa service was good, and not bad value. Plus it was 20% off for hotel guests.

The highlight for me was definitely the buffet breakfast. A large selection of Western and Asian dishes, with an 'Eggs Bar' to cook eggs any way you like (poached egg was perfect!), and a 'Soup Bar,' making noodle soup to order. The rest of the food choices were plentiful and fresh. No stale food here! I pretty much had a 3-course breakfast each day!

The hotel is about a 20 min walk to Ben Thanh market, so not a bad walk. Or, it would be about $1-2, but of traffic is bad, it may be quicker to walk. War Remnants Museum and the Palace are about a 10 minute walk away. There aren't a great deal of bars or restaurants in the area, and I found that I was walking north to Dien Bien Phu to grab something to eat. A 10-minute stroll and you're there. Taxi to the airport was about 20 mins, and cost $5.

Overall, I would happily recommend this hotel and would be happy to stay here again, especially for the price. But if you're looking to be close to the 'action,' it may not be the place for you.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BeamerKJ
NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear BeamerKJ,

Thank you very much for taking some of your valuable time and sharing your recent experience with us here on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked our breakfast. Please rest assured that I will be sharing your comments with the kitchen team and I am sure that they will be very pleased to hear about that.

Concerning our location, while we are not quite located in the city centre, we are within a short walk to most major tourist attraction but just far enough away to be in a quieter part of town. There are a few restaurants and shops hidden away in the neighborhood and our concierge will be happy to point them out to you.

Thank you again and it would be a pleasure to welcome you back again at Novotel Saigon Centre soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I ever can be of any assistance to you.

Lionel.Moinard@accor.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Room is spacious, bed is comfortable, and bathroom is ok. Overall, this is an excellent hotel. What I found a rather dissatisfying is a weak wi-fi signal in my room. I have to go down to the lobby to get a decent signal.
The hotel's location is just ok. If you want to go to ben tanh market, you can get a taxi for 40-50 thousand VND. If you rather walk, it'll take 15-20 minutes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Tesa_Bdg,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for taking some of your valuable time to post a review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. However, I have also taken note of your comment concerning Wi-Fi and we are aware that in some of our rooms, Wi-Fi connection is not as strong as it should be and we are currently working on fixing this.

Thank you again and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I ever can be of any assistance to you. We do hope to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

Abu Dhabi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

At its price point I cannot fault the Novotel Saigon Centre. The room was a good size and serviced well each day. The bathroom had a great walk-in shower with rainwater head. The staff were polite and professional. Free wifi also throughout the hotel.

It is in a good location to explore this fascinating city by foot and/ or the plentiful and inexpensive taxis always outside. One tip - when returning by taxi say Novotel and the name of the street NOT Saigon Centre. There is a Saigon Centre building elsewhere in the city which I was taken to by error.

Recommended.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Philip_Ward,

Warm greetings from Novotel Saigon Centre and thank you very much for your review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and please rest assured that I will be sharing your comments with the team and I am sure this will serve as an encouragement to all of us as we always strive to further improve our services.

If you have the opportunity to come back to Saigon again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back at Novotel Saigon Centre again.

Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

The hotel is beautiful, quiet and pleasant oasis near the city center of noisy and smelly, but yet incredibly interesting Saigon.

Pleasant modern design of the hotel, clean, spacious rooms, nice swimming pool - all attributes that hotel ranks high above most Novotel hotels in Europe. I've been there twice this year and difficult to seek cons - the only negative are unresponsive, lazy local staffs on front desk and executive lounge. It is unbelievable that in this part of Asia, where most local people are very friendly and try to help tourists without any requirement for a benefits. This hotel plays as a top hotel, but forgot to train local staff to realize that they are there only for the guests who came there to spend your money. I often got the impression that the guests and their problems are nuisance (they often said us this is the Novotel Saigon and not Europe, so here is everything else). Our problems promptly and to our complete satisfaction solved the European manager Jan. Beautiful hotel may not always be a certain guarantee maximum satisfaction of clients. It is important to have a quality and trained staff whose sole concern is the satisfaction of their guests. Otherwise, it is a failed chance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear metropolisPRG,

Warm greetings from Novotel Saigon Centre and thank you for taking some of your time and writing a review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. However, I have also taken note of your comments of our Front Desk staff. I am glad that Jan could sort out any issues you had and please rest assured that I will be working together with him and our Front Desk team to further improve on our services and to give further training where necessary.

Thank you again and it would be a pleasure to welcome you again at Novotel Saigon Centre in the not too distant future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Our stay at the Novotel Saigon Centre started on a very positive note. We arrived early around 10:00 am and were able to check in right away. Our room was very clean, spacious with a nice view. The staff at the hotel were without exception polite and helpful. Housekeeping did a good job although on a couple of occasions drinking water and other amenities were forgotten.
Wifi in the room was a disaster. Absolutely impossible to connect on most occasions. Phone calls to the information line (which connects to reception) to inform them of the wifi problem required numerous calls over the course of several hours before wifi service was restored. It was a daily problem. The response time became much better during the last few days of our stay. Perhaps the hotel IT department had a Eureka moment. Eventually we learned that the problem exists on floors 5 and 15. We were told that the hotel is working on fixing the problem however the problem persisted during our entire stay. Bottom line: If wifi in the room is important to you avoid floors 5 and 15.
The breakfast buffet is standard hotel fare. A good selection of Asian and Western food replenished on a regular basis. Coffee refills were quickly attended to. The staff in the restaurant were quick to remove empty plates. However they would also take away any utensils left on the plate but fail to replace them. Then it was a case of getting their attention in order to get a replacement fork or spoon. Oddly this happened over and over as it never dawned on them to voluntarily replace utensils.
Prices for the buffets in Vietnamese Dong are as follows:
Breakfast buffet: 399,000 ++ per person
Lunch buffet 449,000 ++ per person
Dinner buffet 749.000 ++ per person
Note the ++ represents 10.5% tax and 5% service charge.
The price of the dinner buffet is more than a week’s wages for the average Vietnamese worker. Hence much less expensive options are available outside the hotel. Some good choices are the food court at the Diamond Plaza which is within a five minute walk. Also Tokyo Town, which has a very extensive menu, is located near the COOP Mart (supermarket) about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. The hotel staff can provide directions. A Trung Nguyen coffee shop is located near the hotel. Turn right at the front of the hotel and you will see it at the first intersection. Just past the coffee shop is a bakery, handy for picking up some croissants etc., when you tire of the buffet breakfast and save a bundle in the process.
We enjoyed the Ben Tranh market. Bargaining is a must. Position your counter offers in order to target a final price of no more than 50% of the initial asking price. It is usually necessary to start to walk away in order to have the seller agree to your price.
Across the street from the Ben Tranh market is Pho 2000 located above a Coffee Bean shop on the main floor. Inside the restaurant is a picture of Bill Clinton from his visit there many years ago. Prices are very reasonable.
Tours are available from the concierge in the lobby of the hotel, however if you wish to have a tour of the city’s major attractions I recommend contacting Saigon Hotpot which is an organization of university students who provide tours at minimal cost.
Verasun taxis are always available parked outside the hotel. The hotel doorman can help ensure that the taxi driver understands your destination. Verasun taxis are the most common around the city. The Verasun taxis activated the meter and brought us directly to our destination on every occasion.
Our check out did not go smoothly. We were given a bill which included some room charges that were prepaid. When I pointed that out to the receptionist she went back to her monitor and wrote a figure on a scrap piece of paper. I recognized that to be the correct amount but I was not comfortable paying in response to a hand written amount scribbled on a piece of scrap paper. When I asked for a proper bill with the correct amount, the receptionist went back to her monitor and a few clicks later presented me with the correct bill. No idea what that was about but it might be wise to take extra care in scrutinizing your bill when checking out.
Unless the price was irresistible I would choose a different hotel next time in Ho Chi Minh City.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank FrequentTravels123
Dear FrequentTravels123,

Warm greetings from Novotel Saigon Centre and thank you very much for taking some of your valuable time and posting a review here on Tripadvisor.

It is through continuous feedback, from guests such as yourselves, that we are able to objectively review the facilities and services we provide to ensure that they meet our guests' expectations.
The experience you describe causes us deep concern and I wish to apologize for the unfortunate circumstances of your last stay with us. This does not reflect the usual service and quality at Novotel Saigon Centre. Please rest assured that I will be working with concerned departments to resolve those issues and prevent them from happening again. Concerning the Wi-Fi, as mentioned from my colleagues, we are currently hard at work to ensure that there is a strong signal available on all floors.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us and I do hope you will give us a second chance and if you come to Saigon again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance. It would be our pleasure to welcome you again to Novotel Saigon Centre.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

After advice from friends we booked this hotel and took the executive upgrade. This turned out to be exceptional value for money. Superior rooms, breakfast included, access to lounge with free soft drinks all day and complimentary afternoon tea as well as two hours of happy hour with unlimited beer, wine and a selection of cocktails as well as canapes. We enjoyed using the spa and felt the cost of this was very reasonable. The location is great and easy walking distance from most attractions. The Concierge was helpful in arranging a couple of tours for us except the cooking course our daughter signed up for which turned out the Hotel charged double the rate of the course and you could have saved this money if you had been advised to book direct. We had a few minor issues with the pool being far too cold for relaxing in and the breakfast buffet at times was lacking in food and the staff were not always quick in replenishing.

Room Tip: Look for deals that include the executive upgrade.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear June B,

Warm greetings from Novotel Saigon Centre and thank you very much for taking some of your time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

I am glad to read that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us. Please rest assured that I will be sharing your comments with the team.

However, I have also noticed that there were some areas where we could have done better and I would like to thank you for your feedback. It is through feedback such as yours that we are able to review our services. I will share those comments with relevant departments and will work on it to further improve our services.

Thank you again and it would be a pleasure to welcome you back at Novotel Saigon Centre in the not too distant future. If I ever can be of any assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thunder Bay
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

This is my second time at this hotel. I thought I would give it one more try. The service is very mediocre, something I would expect from a 3 star hotel. The lack of a business centre is quite frustrating. But again, this was my second time here, so I expected this. Overall hotel looks nice, but is lacking in strong customer service.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear melissatbay,

Greetings from Novotel Saigon Centre and thank you for your review.

I am sorry that your stays with us did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for that.

I would very much appreciate if you could contact me directly at below email at your convenience and elaborate further on the shortcomings of our services so that I can follow up appropriately.
I hope you give us another chance to serve you better in the near future and if you have a chance to come back to Saigon again, please do let me know and I will ensure that you are well looked after.

Thank you again and I am looking forward to hearing from you.