“GREAT HOTEL”

Ranked #35 of 454 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
worldwide
“GREAT HOTEL”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

New and best value forr money in HCMC, I have stayed in a few hotels and this one was the best value.
Great service, room and location
All that one needs at a good price
Will make it my hotel for HCMC

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Sash0901,

Warm greetings from Novotel Saigon Centre and thank you very much for your review.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and it would be a pleasure to welcome you back again.

I provided my email below and please do not hesitate to contact me directly prior to your next stay in Saigon and I would be pleased to be of any assistance to you and welcome you back personally.

Lionel.Moinard@accor.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 27, 2013

To those who are familiar with Saigon, you will know that the number of international hotels are slowly coming up so this is just again one of those tried and tested brand. Many years ago, Novotel is already in Saigon which is the current Park Royal near the airport. Comparing this new Novotel with the older Novotel, this one of course is much better and newer.

Location wise, Novotel is not near Dong Khoi or Nguyen Hue, the 2 busiest street in Saigon but it is close to Reunification Palace and GPO. It is close to Diamond Plaza though not within walking distance. Personally, I felt that this hotel is kind of located in an akward corner.

Check in was fast but what I was not comfortable with is that being a Le CLub Gold member, they didn't upgrade me but upgraded my colleague who is traveling with me but a non Gold member, very weird way of distinguishing guests.

Roomwise, as I said being new is comfortable and bright and kept up with the standard in all Novotel. I have no complaints of the room and in fact like the comforable sofa in the room. As in most hotels, the cafe was housed in an enclosed area hence making the dining place full of the "food smell", so everytime you finished your meal, your shirt will have that strong "cooking" smell.

The pool is pretty decent and is housed sheltered. Small but good enough to swim in.

Service wise, as this is a new hotel, everyone is waiting to please.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear The_TravellerSg,

I am sorry that your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations; indeed, I do not understand why we would handle your check-in the way we did. I would very much appreciate if you could contact me directly and below mentioned email so that I can investigate this case further.

I do hope that you will give us another chance to serve you better during your next stay in Saigon.
Thank you again and I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Took a while for me to take the time to write this review - we actually stayed last September :)

This hotel is perfectly clean, well organised and breakfast was excellent (they even have a kids club). There is a great pool hall across the road and about 5 minutes back towards the airport there is a little restaurant called Banh Xeo - one of the best places ive experienced on holiday.

The taxis they have waiting out the front are reliable and take you where you want to go even if you cannot explain it correctly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Chris N,

Warm greetings from Novotel Saigon Centre and thank you your review.

I am delighted that you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Please rest assured that I will be sharing your comments with the team and I am sure this will serve as an encouragement to all of us as we always strive to further improve upon our services.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again at Novotel Saigon Centre and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if there is anything I can assist with.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed April 26, 2013

nice room, especially like the plugs connection below the LCD, plug in your PC and you can view movie on the 32" LCD. shower room is good size, maybe a shower curtain or glass door will be nice to block the water splashing all over the floor. pool is nice, gym is small but good enough for a quick 20 mins workout. wifi is a bit weak and got cut off sometimes. need to upgrade to higher speed and stronger signal.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear raymondlee517,

Warmest greetings from Novotel Saigon Centre and thank you very much for your review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Concerning internet, we are aware that some rooms Wi-Fi connection can be weak at times and are currently working on rectifying this issue.
I would appreciate if you could contact me at below email and let me know room you stayed in so that we can resolve this issue and prevent future occurrences.

Thank you again and if you have a chance to come back to Saigon again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Gold Coast
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Arrived at the hotel very early and our room was not ready so the receptionist took us up to a guests lounge on 19th floor where we had coffee , pastries and fruit while we waited for the room to be cleaned. This was all complimentary. Our room was still not ready after 1 hour so they upgraded us free of charge to one of their beautiful suites. NEVER before had we had such excellent service. The staff here are EXCELLENT - friendly and helpful.

We wanted to go to Long Tan yesterday (ANZAC DAY) and so they arranged a private car and driver for us (you would have to be crazy to drive in this traffic). The driver, who did not speak english, was really good , he even took us a different way coming back to the hotel so we could get a feel of the place (and this included a car ferry ride- so good).

The meals here are great - everything you want and more - only trouble is I could come back 30kgs heavier and have my son tell me to go to the gym (as if that is going to happen!) Coffee is excellent and all service by staff is done with a smile .

Gym, pool , spa and spa services are provided but I have not had the time to use these yet.

We have stayed in Saigon several times and at more expensive hotels but this hotel is very good. The rooms were spotless and I fell asleep watching tv about 9pm and woke up at 7am with the tv still going - such a good rest. We did not have any road noise.

I think anyone that complains about this hotel is just hard to please.

Thank you to the staff and especially the concierge.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to room 1408 - beautiful . The glass bathroom opened straight onto the bedroom an...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 275DianneB
Dear Dianne B,

Warm greetings from Novotel Saigon Centre and thank you very much for taking some of your valuable time and writing a review of your recent stay with us.

I am absolutely delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff played a large role in that as they are our best asset.

Please rest assured that I will be sharing your review with our team, especially the concierge who you so kindly mentioned and I am sure that this will serve as an encouragement not only to them but to all of us as we always strive to further improve our services.

If you have a chance to come back to Saigon again, it would be a pleasure if we could welcome you again at Novotel Saigon Centre and do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance to you.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I just stayed here for 10 days thus feel well qualified to give feedback. I also booked 3 other rooms for my business colleagues. We were put on floor 5 which is their lowest floor for bedrooms. The view was unimpressive and the noise from the street was still audible.

The room (502) was average size, modern and the bed was comfortable to sleep however I asked for a king sized bed and was given twin beds instead.

The hotel location is in District 3 near to District 1. Near enough to everything in a taxi. There are plentiful taxis outside the hotel and the doorman will always help in getting a taxi.
Wifi is free and works perfectly.

The bathroom was modern and clean but no bath only a shower. They have a clever glass wall between the bathroom to the bedroom. It can be see through or obscure at the touch of a button.

The swimming pool is on the 4th floor in a sort of courtyard. It get no sunlight at all as its totally surrounded on all 4 sides however it does get all the rain. The only lockers in the changing room are on the 5th floor so not a clever place to put it when they also have changing rooms on the 4th floor. It does mean going up and down the stairs to go to your locker.

I found the hotel lacks character & also atmosphere. The staff were ok but nothing to write home about.

I was not happy with the room clean. The staff did differently each day. Sometimes I got one fresh towel, sometimes two and sometimes none. The beds were made up each day but I noticed 3 days going past with the same bed sheets reused.

At checkin they enrolled me into their Le Club Accorhotel points program. Then when I came to checkout at the end of my 10 day stay I asked how many points did I accrue. The lady said none. I asked why not? She answered that since the booking was done via my travel agent I get zero points! Imagine now how I feel about Novotel Saigon….

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank rm1003
NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear rm1003,

Greetings from Novotel Saigon Centre and thank you very much for taking some of your time to post a review of your recent stay.

I am sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. I just had a look at our records and sent you an email to your personal email address and I very much look forward to hearing from you at your convenience to further discuss the issues you had.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed here for four days at the end of a trip to Vietnam, and was very underwhelmed. I booked this hotel because it is part of the Accor Hotels chain, and I have previously stayed in Sofitel and Novotel hotels in Vietnam and elsewhere and have always been pleased with my stays. However, there were several issues during our stay at the Novotel Saigon Centre that shouldn't have even been issues in the first place, which did make the experience less than pleasant, and was unexpected from a four-star hotel.

For one, the wifi (which was very important for me, given that I was trying to stay in touch with work while gone), was initially spotty at best. At times, I couldn't even load webpages, let alone check my email. Connecting via ethernet may have been better, but I had only brought a tablet with me for travel purposes. The first time I brought this up with the front desk, they said that because there were a lot of people staying there that the wifi would be spotty at times, which is hardly a valid excuse for a hotel at this level. Only after I complained the next day (when I had woken up at 5am to get some work done, and STILL could not access the internet) did they finally send a technician up to see what was wrong (neither my phone or tablet could access the internet, nor could my boyfriend's tablet). Finally, we were given our own router, which worked well, but I can't foresee this being a feasible solution for every room, if others experience the same problem (and from reading the comments, I see that we weren't alone).

Also, housekeeping did not change our sheets nor did they wipe down any surfaces in the room (except for the bathroom)until requested. Some hotels have a little card which they ask you to place on the sheets if you want them changed, but we didn't find any such thing in our room. I understand not changing them every day, for environmental reasons, but when our sheets were still not changed after our second night (it wasn't hard to tell, since my eye makeup was on the pillowcases - the only thing housekeeping did was turn the pillow over - out of sight, out of mind, certainly does not work in this instance) and the table surfaces were still showing rings from water glasses - that's just shoddy housekeeping at that point. Again, this was finally addressed, but again only after I talked to the front desk. (I just saw in the comments of one of the reviews on this site that they only change the sheets every three days - there should be some note of this somewhere in the room literature. This still doesn't explain not cleaning the room surfaces, though.) Pool bar service was also very slow - we didn't return after our first day, since it took forever to get drinks.

On the plus side, checking in and out was quick and easy, and room service was quick. The bed was also very comfortable. Breakfast was included in our room price, but this is not the case for all rooms. The hotel is also located in District 3, but it is very easy to get to the central attractions by foot or cab.

I would have given this review 3.5 stars, but since that's not allowed I rounded up to four, because the problems were eventually addressed. Quite honestly, if we hadn't prepaid for our rooms, I would have seriously considered switching mid-stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear kyrielle,

I am sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies for that.

I am sorry about room cleaning service you experienced. This is certainly not up to our standards and I have already had a meeting with our Executive Housekeeper and I will personally work with the team so that our service can improve and future occurrences can be avoided.

I also would very much appreciate if you could contact me directly at below mentioned email with details of your stay so follow up directly with the team on the other issues you had.

Thank you again, and I do hope that you give us another chance to serve you better in the near future. If you have a chance to come back to Saigon again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.