“Comfortable, reasonably priced, well located”

A&Em Hai Ba Trung Hotel
Ranked #264 of 461 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed December 25, 2013

A & Em Hai Ba Trung is a comfortable, reasonably priced tourist hotel in central HCMC. The rooms are small, but the bed is comfortable, the room is clean, great shower in the bathroom. Service is great and there always was at least one person around who spoke English well. I arrived early, about 830 am and although my room wasn't ready (which is understandable), they had it made up for me within 30 minutes. When I asked about a SIM card for my phone, one of the bellmen went out and got one for me and installed it -- cost less than $10, so even if the bellman or hotel made some money on it, the price was reasonable.
Location is great, within a half block of the big, expensive hotels, easy walking distance of major tourist sites, restaurants, etc.
Good breakfast, plentiful, tasty, Asian and western entrees available.
There are multiple A & EM hotels -- not sure how the others are, but this one is fine.

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms in this hotel have windows, but not sure, maybe not on the lower floors. I...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Although room is abit small.. but it was very comfy and clean. Service was great. When we went back there the 2nd time after our travelling to central vietnam, the hotel at this location didnt have 2 small rooms for us. So they arranged for us to go to their other branch which was not far from this one.

they arrange taxi for us and gave us excellent services until we get our rooms on the 2nd branch.

They have a few branches in the city. I think all of them are located pretty central and near the market. It was a very convenient place to stay for a relatively great price.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank capung
Reviewed October 8, 2013

did expect huge on this hotel since there were loads of good reviews hotel flowing around on internet and the hotel images seemed really nice as well. Yet, to my horror, the room i booked looked exactly like on the photo id seen before, but its incredibly ... small, feel like i was staying in a boutique post box!! Immediately asked for an upgrade (and defly with extra charge) and they gave me an executive deluxe, merely 1 or 2 meter square wider than my previous room. Anyway, its a lot better and fresher with a big window looking down the street. The bed was soft and the pillow was just fab. the bathroom was fine with a lovely jacuzzi bathtub. And the best thing was the wifi, probably one of the fastest speed you would ever have in vietnam.
Never got the chance to have breakfast since they already wrapped things up at 8:30am but a guy i met on elevator said never bother to come down again!

Room Tip: Room on the back of the building would have less noise in the morning.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sweetn0thing
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed two nights and then came back for a third night. The best service we've ever experienced in a small hotel. The staff is amazing - most friendly and helpful.
We only ate at the breakfast buffet but it was very high quality and a nice assortment. As of this date they don't yet have a full working kitchen and other meals are apparently delivered from one of their other nearby hotels.
The rooms are very nice although the bathtub/showers are a little awkward.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Huong Ly N
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Have stayed a few times now, and it's always been excellent.
Haven't experienced the room size problems of others as I love large bathrooms and spa bath, so always go for the VIP A room, check their website and you'll see what I mean.
My traveling partner had a spa bubble bath most nights an just loved it. We even shared the bath one night and could have easily fitted another couple.
The room was cleaned and spotless every day, the service provided by front desk and room staff faultless. H for varying needed was immediately provided.
The view out onto the street and across the city great...
The best of all, the bed.... Superb!!!!
There may be better value for money with a huge bathroom but I'm yet to find it.
I've stayed elsewhere including Park Hyatt in HCMC so have seen others...

Room Tip: Pay more for a VIP or VIP A room...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank triguy56
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Pro's:
- Great location
- Big enough room with ensuite tub (Executive Double Room)
- Free and fast WiFi

Con's:
- Room smelled of tobacco upon entering, stench was gotten rid of later on
- Hot water in room was working only at times, mostly being just a little better than cold
- Room service seems to work on random times, and even then it's slow and the food is cold
- Staff didn't speak that much English at all

Overall for the price of $416 for 7 nights this hotel is barely acceptable, but I'm sure there would be worse options around.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights. It was our first visit to Vietnam. The hotel is very well placed on Hai Ba Trung, a main street of HCMC in District 1. By Australian standards our room was smallish; bigger than a bathroom (see AUSSIETONY's review) so we must have had a different room. Our room was at the rear so we had a view over the rooftops of HCMC. One wardrobe, no drawers. There was space in the bottom of the wardrobe in which bags could have been packed but since there was no-where in which to put the clothes you had unpacked, this was not much help. In the end we played "jump the bag". Clearly locals travel lighter than farangs. Having said that, the room was spotless even if the fit-out was a bit over the top aesthetically. Who was their interior decorator? The air-con was magic, the lighting very seductive :) So seductive I kept losing things. The bed was hands down the best bed we had slept in away from home, ever. The room was properly serviced each day and "made new". The bathroom was new and always spotless. Loved the toilet IN the shower recess guys. The staff were pleasant and helpful and the breakfast was more than adequate. The hotel rate was 1/4 of what you could pay for a western chain hotel room in HCMC. Very good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple