“Big dorms for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Halo Guesthouse

Halo Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ho Chi Minh City
Halo Guesthouse
Ranked #411 of 835 Ho Chi Minh City B&B and Inns
Manila, Philippines
“Big dorms for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed in Halo Guesthouse last year (December 2012) and stayed there for 3 nights or so. Best thing I love about it is that the dorm room in the third floor (IIRC) is big, and there's a huge space in the center. First night I stayed there, I went out to dinner with 3 other guests, only because the space really encourages you to talk to each other.

On the second night, we all had a drink in the room, finishing all the soju that a Chinese girl had brought with her. We had so much fun, and one person I'd met there even visited me in the Philippines several times after that.

The rate of $6 per bed per night is also cheap, considering there's free breakfast. The beds are firm, and the room is cleaned every day.

On the minus side, the bathroom needs to be repaired. The tub is broken and it's dangerous to stand there and take a shower when you can easily slip and hurt yourself. Also, the dining area is very small, and you can hardly move when you're eating.

Like the other guesthouses in the area, they close at midnight, so you have to ring the bell when you get in late.

I recommend this for solo travelers because you can easily meet others when you're staying there. There are cheaper dorms in the area ($3) but this one is so much better.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Innsbruck, Austria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

The room looked like it wasn't cleaned for weeks. Blanket without sheets, dirty towels etc.
And someone tried to get into our room at 1:30 in the night.
We had the most horrible night there. Before staying there ever again I would prefer sleeping on a park bench...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Markus P
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Friendly staff and clean enough, but slightly overpriced for what you get. Double room is small, window faces the wall. During our stay power went off in the morning and the room got extremely hot very fast without aircon. It wasn't fixed until we checked out and left:) good it was our last day there.
We booked a transfer to the airport and it was probably the smallest and oldest car in the city with a horrible smell of gasoline.
For the same price level it's possible to get better rooms in the same street.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed halo guesthouse in Nov 2012.dormitory is 6$ include breakfast.braekfast is bread or noodle and coffee or tea.it is worth 2$.the room is clean,with a/c and hot shower.stuffs are very kind and helpful.I highly recommend.only problem is that it is center located,so it is noisy at night.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hong Kong
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

This family run guesthouse is generally acceptable, not that clean but basic.

But I encountered a bad experience of being defrauded by one of their family member – the youngest brother of the family (called “Toan”). He could not speak English.

One day the USB of my phone did not work, so I had to buy a new one. I asked the second brother where I could buy a new one. The youngest brother heard that and he was so eager to “help” me and took me to Viettel company in Quan 3 with his motorbike.

We arrived Viettel, he and a saleswoman talked with Vietnamese, which I did not understand their conversation. Later Toan told me the USB line cost 250000VND, which is very expensive! As if I buy in my home country only cost around 20000VND for a spare one. And even this one cost 250000VND was not made by Samsung. I told Toan whether there was other shop selling cheaper one, but his reply was “CHEAP FOR YOU”, I felt his reply was quite weird, but I had no choice, so just bought it.

I had cash but I ought to pay by credit card, but Viettel did not accept it. Toan said he could bring me to the money exchange. He ran out from the shop already and I chased to him and showed my cash out, which was two 500000VND notes (but the notes were flown up so I was not sure if there was 1 note or 2 notes), shouting “I had money”. Toan grasped the notes in a second, I even could not open the notes and check how many notes there was. He handed to the store owner outside Viettel and changed five 100000VND. I did not know his intention of breaking down the note as Viettel must have change to me even if I paid by 500000VND. I asked him where was another 500000VND note, he just said he did not know! He took the notes and paid to the saleswoman, I had not touched my notes throughout the process. I asked him for receipt and he said he did not have it.

Later I checked my expenses (I marked down all the expenses I used every day) and there was 500000VND missing! I was 100% sure it was stolen by Toan as if I used 500000VND, I must mark that down, and if I dropped, then I should lose 2 notes rather than 1 as they were flown together! I asked Toan when I went back to the guesthouse but he still denied.

Another day, the old USB worked again, and I brought the new USB to Viettel and tried to get the refund as it was very expensive. The saleswoman told me that the USB only cost 58000VND!!!!!!! The saleswoman printed out the receipt for me.

I took the receipt and asked Toan in front of this elder brother and sister. Toan still insisted he did not charge me more (but only he had conversation to me and told me it cost 250000VND), so ridiculous. And later he told her sister that he only charged me 50000VND for the motorbike cost. I said that I just asked for the place of buying the USB, I did not request him to take me. He handed me 50000VND note but I did not accept. He was so “brave” to ask me going back to Viettel together tomorrow.

Another day morning, I asked him to go. But after a few minute, he gave me back 200000VND. I also asked him about the 500000VND, he still denied. I was 200% sure it was stolen by him. Such a young boy without much income, if he just defrauded me the difference of the prices, then he should just give me 192000VND or ask me to give him 8000VND change. (8000VND already can buy a coke, which should be a lot for a youngster or a thief who counted for every dollar!)

After this incidence, I heard that it was not the first time that this guy to do something bad. I could just say “unlucky me”.

Other than him, other family members were still friendly and helpful. But sometimes, no matter how good you are, the reputation would be worsened because of one failure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank lonely369
Nakano-ku, Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

This guesthouse is located in touristic district in Saigon. Though it's one of the cheapest hostel in Saigon,the room was kept quite clean and we could feel comfortable. Neighboring bar can be annoying at night,but it is only problem I found. They have travel agency as well, the staffs are really charming and friendly. They tried to find bus or tour that suit our budget and taught me any information we asked. Although we finaly decided to use local transport without using tour,they never show complain and saw us off with smile like friends when we was leaving. And we got to know another customers in this hostel,we really enjoyed drinking with then. I would have missed out on some fun I've got in Saigon,without this hostel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sshowtaro
Ho Chi Minh City, null, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

If you want to stay in a famous area that closes to the center of HCMC. It closes to Ben Thanh Market, a famous market in HCMC. Plenty of street food is waiting for you to discover, or restaurant, bar coffee, a thousand interesting things is all around you.
The staff is wonderful, they're very friendly and funny. The rooms are quite good with strong air conditioner, clean. For $6 (dormitory), from $12 to $15 (room with fan or a/c) is a good choice for you who's considering a good guest house at the right hot-spot area with a cheap price. This will be your choice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo