“Not great”

Zoo and Botanical Gardens
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I would steer clear of the zoo if you are an animal lover. This place could be very upsetting to some seeing how the animals are kept. I'm pretty sure the fluffy bunnys weren't in with the snakes to keep them company if you know what I mean. Really nice, well kept gardens though.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,235)

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We were a tad apprehensive about visiting and whilst some of the enclosures are a tad old fashioned, the animals all appeared to be in good condition and well fed. We spent a couple of hours here and enjoyed the walk around the Zoo & Gardens.

1  Thank Simon J
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We love going to the zoo but found this zoo a bit sad and depressing. The animals looked bored and some lay a little too still for my liking ?!?! It's cheap to enter and there are lots of animals - including a large number of rats. If you aren't in HCMC for long maybe do something else instead?

Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

The zoo had loads of animals and has potential. It's very busy inside. The animal facilities can be largely improved. The animals look sad, especially the elephants.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 1, 2014

I love animals! That's why I made it a mission to visit one of the world's oldest zoos when I arrived in HCMC. I have read a lot of reviews about the poor animal living conditions, but that was NOT my experience. I don't think it's fair to compare a developing country like Vietnam to those in North America or Europe, let alone their zoos and facilities. The facilities may not be the best or the most maintained, but I did not see any animals being mistreated during my visit at the zoo. In fact it was quite pleasant and you are allowed to do a lot of things that you WON"T be able to do at other zoos such as feeding goats and elephants (there are people around the zoo selling you vegetables).

The zoo house quite a few variety of animals: from elephants, to giraffes, to crocodiles, to reptiles, to monkeys etc. I did not pay specific attention to the Gardens, but I do remember that there are a number of trees and plants that are labelled along way for those who are interested in their species.

For more information you can go to http://www.saigonzoo.net/

I don't see any "fare information" on their website, but the day I went I was surprised that I only had to pay $8000 VND. That's $0.40 USD!!!!! For a full day's visit! I don't know if there was a special going on that day (it didn't seem like it) or I look Vietnamese despite me speaking only English, but you will never visit a zoo of this quality for a better price! Even if it's 5x the price, I still do think it's worth it. And unlike typical zoos where you are forced to consumer global fast food chains, there are small shops and businesses there that serve some simple Vietnamese delicacies which I thought was a good change!

4  Thank Roybok