“Cathedral worker grabbed & pushed me”

Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral
War Remnants Museum and Cu Chi Tunnels Day Trip from Ho Chi Minh City
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: This French-built cathedral occupies scenic Paris Square in the heart of Ho Chi Minh City.
Reviewed January 3, 2014

First of all, it is only open for 1 hour/day (between 3 & 4). Second of all, you are only allowed to visit the first 10 feet or so. There is a barrier & gate blocking entry but the sign says that you are allowed to go in to pray. Being a CHRISTIAN, I decided to go in, to sit & to pray. But the Vietnamese caretaker, who was holding the door open (I thought she was holding it open for me), GRABBED my arm and PUSHED me back and pointed to the sign about praying. I said yes, I am here to pray. Another woman let me in, but being physically grabbed & pushed had ruined the visit. And in a church of all places. This behavior is appalling. I am a caucasian Westerner who has been barred from entering other religions' houses of worship elsewhere in the Middle East/Asia where the assumption was made that I was Christian, which is fine - that's their prerogative. But I was shocked that someone attempted to do the same for my own religion. I am so sorry that we made a second trip back to the church to see the (poorly maintained) stained glass windows as I was victim & witness to un-Christianlike behavior that I will not soon forget.

2  Thank MruthCo
Write a ReviewReviews (7,033)
All reviews
in 53 reviews
"saigon"
in 575 reviews

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I may have been more impressed with this cathedral had I not already seen the cathedrals of Rome earlier in the year. Notre Dame is very beautiful from the outside, but once inside, there is really not much to see. When we were there it was fairly busy, but not terribly, and the noise inside the cathedral was pretty distracting. There did not seem to be any reverence for the fact that we were inside a church. It is very plain inside, but worth walking into, even if it's just for a minute. Plan to see the Central Post Office in conjunction with Notre Dame, as it is right across the street. You can probably do both sites in about an hour.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

This was the first French colonial architecture site that I visited, because I love old churches and beautiful architectures. I would say that the church's exterior and interior was well preserved because the brick color of the exterior is still radiant after 300 or more years since it was constructed. It's a pity that people are not allowed to go near the church's altar, so I was only able to see it from the entrance. The small chapels on the side were open though and I was fascinated by the numerous stone markers declaring "thanks". It's just walking distance from Ben Tanh Market. and the backpacker's district.

1  Thank 03Wanderlust
Reviewed December 26, 2013

A smaller copy of the French version, it was a nice reprieve from the hustle and bustle of the city. The architecture is beautiful and it's close enough to other major attractions to make a visit worthwhile.