“Good for its money”

Koniko Backpackers Hostel
“Good for its money”
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Clean, tidy, safe and close to good restaurants, central, would recommend to travels looking for adventure on a budget, I would stay here again :-) although I would take ear plugs due to the noise outside at night. Also includes an easy delicious breakfast.

Stayed November 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed in this hostel for 4 nights during my trip through Vietnam.

+ hostel reminds more of a hotel (!)
+ very clean rooms
+ very friendly staff
+ great location and surprisingly not too noisy
+ flat screen tv (60+ channels)
+ hot shower
+ fresh towels and bedding provided every day
+ great value for money

- fridge was broken
- window was damaged and did not close properly
- at night the hostel is completely closed up (after night out this can easily freak you out... Took us a bit to find an entrance!)

Overall highly recommended 9/10. Great

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Oyama, Canada
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights. When we arrived the hotel staff informed us that the cleaning lady was sick so our private room was not available until the following night. They did put us up in the dorms instead, and my partner and I had the whole place (10 beds) to ourselves. We weren't compensated financially for the mishap. There were lots of ants and the dorm was definitely rough around the edges. Nothing too frightening though. The worst part is the noise; but we expected this as it is on the lively bui vien street. It's nonstop loud music all night and loud traffic all day.
The wifi is good. Breakfast was included and not bad.... It's eaten in a fun little rooftop area where you sit on the floor on a cushion. The staff spoke little English but were very friendly. Location is awesome if you like nightlife. Wish they woulda had safes!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nites. Location, cleanliness n being very New from both outlook n interior are major plus points. The receptionists are friendly n helpful. Personally I will rate them to be among top 5 budget hotels in Hcm. It will be my first choice from now on.

• Stayed October 2013
England
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I've just completed a 4 night stay here. I paid extra for a private double room with it's own shower and toilet.
First impressions were great - the receptionists were warm and welcoming. The room was clean. The bathroom was a small wetroom, so the whole room had a shower when you did! There is a flatscreen TV in the room, as well as a small fridge. No hairdryers are available, so bring your own.
The breakfast is a very simple affair - a very small omelette and a baguette. No jam or butter with it. You have to eat it on floor 6, and climbing the stairs in the heat isn't a lot of fun. When you get up there, you have to eat it on the floor with a cushion to sit on! Quaint, but a bit strange! It's either tea of coffee to drink, no juice.
I strongly recommend that you request a low-floor room, as there is no lift.
I stayed for 4 nights, and my room was not cleaned once. I had to empty the bins myself, and take my towel down to get it exchanged. Also, there are a few ants in the room. Not loads, but it's seldom that there isn't an ant on the bedside table or actually on the bed. The window had wallpaper over 2 of the panes (?), put I could crane my neck around the third pane to see the street.
The only worrying thing about this room is that at night, they put 2 motorbikes into reception, shut the front door and put a metal grill over the door. The reception area is the only means of escape in a fire, and it was very cluttered and closed-in if, God forbid, anything should happen.
The other thing is the noise. It is very very noisy, especially between 10-1 every night when the karaoke across the road starts up. This is an ideal place to be if you'll be partying with the rest of them, but you won't be able to sleep if you prefer an earlier night. This street is Vietnam's nod to Khao San Rd.
All in all, the room was cheap as chips and fairly pleasant. Would I stay here again? Probably not, but only because of the fire evacuation hazard.

Room Tip: Low floor, unless you have a thing for stairs!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed there for couple of days...It's at the heart of back packers street(Pham Ngu Lao)... Staff were really kind, they arranged for the day trip even though i informed them in the last moment.. Rooms were clean, easy to reach the bus station (by walk 2-3 mins) and airport(by cab 25 -30 mins). overall it's a very good place to stay..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Even on my first day at Koniko Hostel, I was ready to give it 5 stars: nice, comfortable bed in the single room, large toilet, hot shower, bedroom slippers- all comforts are there, plus the staff are all helpful and not at all obtrusive. Location is good too, central to almost everything. I dont mind the noise from nearby bars at all, it is like enjoying the party while in bed.

So what happened? Well, the hostel manager decided to move all my things and transfer me to another room- without my consent! When I arrived, the hotel manager told me matter-of-factly that I was already transferred to another room and all my belongings have been moved.

I think that was a serious breach of privacy, and that was unacceptable.

Disclaimer: hostel management refunded me my one night stay for the trouble they caused. Yet, I dont think that users of this site should not be warned against such terrible mistake.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends