“Interesting”

Museum of Ho Chi Minh City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This building where some of Ho Chi Minh’s personal effects are on display was once a French customs house.
Reviewed December 25, 2013

This museum sits at 1 Nguyen Tat Thanh, District 4, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, just across the Saigon River. Lots of documented information following his life are shown to make an overview for the tourist.
I think i'ts a good opportunity for studying about Vietnamese cuture and their hero.

1  Thank Tiffany T

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We found this museum extremely well laid out and very well worth the visit. Lots of documented information following his life and many attempts to give you an english translation on the header pages of the flip charts from french and vietnamese. Very easy to follow but we would have greatly benefited from a good engligh speaking guide. Found the whole layout extremely interesting , only wished i could read french and the local language.

Reviewed December 18, 2009

Visited on 16 Dec 2009. Overall, I was disappointed considering how important Ho Chi Minh is to Vietnam. The museum is not very user friendly. It is a three story building (with no elevator or ramps), and each room represents a different phase of his life. Had to figure that out by myself.

Approximately 1/3 of exhibits have an English translation. I learned a few things about his life that I did not know. Third floor had a few rooms full of artwork made entirely of buttons.

If you visit, check your maps very carefully. There is a lot of construction and at least 2 bridges are closed. The easiest walking access is on the side of the road parallel to river. It is a dirt path, full of trash to include used syringes--not good if you are wearing slippers. The enterance is almost closed by construction.

10,000 VND entrance fee. I arrived about 10:30 and got kicked out at 11:30 because they close for lunch time. Literally got yelled at while take photos of the building. Yes, there was a repetitive recording on loudspeakers which must have been my clue that something was up. I believe they reopen at 1pm. Would my ticket stub allow me reentry? I will never know. Only saw 5 others in the museum.

On that side of the river, there is not much to see around the museum. I would not revisit this location or recommend to others.

2  Thank TokyoBob1975
Reviewed January 30, 2009

This museum sits just across the Saigon River from the central area of Ho Chi Minh City and you can see it from the sidewalk that runs alongside the river. Take the bridge that goes over the river and the museum is to your left after you get on the other side. I'm surprised that the place was situated across the river instead of closer to downtown on the opposite side of the river. It is located in an old French colonial building and the grounds are quite attractive. Inside is located old photos, both colored and black & white, and documents, as well as other memorabilia, depicting his life and revolutionary struggle against the French and, later, the Americans. The museum has 3 floors and the top floor is covered with photos of Uncle Ho in various poses with other people. The amazing thing about these photos is that they are made out of buttons and sequins. The people who made these were very talented and put in a lot of time and effort. There is a Ho Chi Minh Museum in just about every major city in the country. This one is worth a visit.

3  Thank globeseeker007
Reviewed October 9, 2008

The thing I liked the most about this museum was the building that it was in. An old French colonial building. Unfortunately I think it has seen better days, as it could do with a renovation/up keep.
Many different exhibits showing photographs and maps of HCMC from a small settlement to the city it is today.
Another room is about the Vietnam war, another showing the different notes and coins used in vietnam.

Also different army remnants like helicopter, jet, tanker in the grounds of the museum.

It was ok, but I think the 2 of us were the only visitors to the museum, I didn't see anyone else.
I maybe wouldn't go out of my way to go and see it, it was good to pass the time when there wasn't much else to do.