“Unclean, terrible service, better hotels in the area”
Review of Spring Hotel

Spring Hotel
Ranked #132 of 466 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We decided to stay here because it was in our Lonely Planet book and it was in a great area. We paid $50 p/night and the hotel is considered "mid-range". Our book described the rooms as dated, which we didn't mind, but our room was not only dated (carpet, old fixtures barely hanging on) but the room smelled very strongly of cigarettes (probably because of the carpet), and the bathroom and shower was full of mold - on the floor, in the cracks of the tile, all in the tub, in the ceiling. I can deal with dated or old, but when a place is dirty and someone doesn't care enough to at least spray some tilex, it doesn't exactly scream the message that they want you to come back. Upon reading other reviews on Tripadvisor, I wonder if they gave us the "bad" room or something.

Then it got worse. We were staying at Spring Hotel for our last night in Veitnam. When we checked in, I asked when check out was (12pm) and told the lady at the front desk that our flight was not until 11:45pm the next day and we wanted to be able to come back before and take showers before we left. She said there was an option to do a half day rental, for half the price. We told her we'd decide the next morning. The next morning, at breakfast I told her we wanted to do the half day rental and she said "OK!" and that was it. The ladies were pleasant and friendly and we went about our day. We came back that evening, took showers, and at 9pm I went to the front desk to ask if they could get a cab for us at 9:30. This woman, a different woman, told me that we were supposed to have been out of our room by 6pm. Clearly confused, i told her that no one told me about 6pm checkout and that I had explained our situation to the earlier staff and they never said anything about a 6pm checkout - they said a "half day" which naturally I took to mean an actual half day, and definitely would have thought they would have mentioned a 6pm checkout after I told her our situation. The woman called the earlier staff on the phone, who claimed they had told me, and hung up and proceeded to accuse me of lying. I very calmly explained to her that that made no sense - and if we would have known it was 6pm checkout we would not have opted to pay for a "half day". She called her manager and the manager still insisted we pay the full day.

A smart hotel would have a) not accused their customers of lying, and b) realize it's not worth the lost business (plus the review I'm writing) to penalize a customer for some miscommunication by their staff. Terrible. My impression now is that they are trying to milk that poor hotel for all they can, cut corners on the cleanliness, overcharge customers, and not try to get repeat business. As I was leaving that night, another customer came up to me and told me they had a similar experience with the hotel staff. I didn't ask details, but just left and tried to forget my last impression on our honeymoon was an unfriendly hotel (opposite of every other place we've stayed in Southeast Aisa)

The one goo thing about this place was the location. However, I saw several other hotels in the area that looked like they would be worth a look and would definitely check these places out next time. I definitely do not recommend Spring hotel if you like things to be clean or do not like to be taken advantage of. I am writing the Lonely Planet folks to ask them to take this place out of their book.

Room Tip: I would ask them to let you check out your room first.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
NGUYEN H, Owner at Spring Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear Mrs Duren,

My name is Nguyen Hoang, owner of The Spring Hotel. First off all, I’d like to apologize for any inconveniences or misunderstandings occurred during your stay at our hotel. I wish I could talk to you in person on that night when you were checking out. Things could have been clearer.

I agree with you that our hotel is not as new as others, but it doesn’t mean we don’t take care of it. We clean, water our plans, and change bed sheets every single day. Our carpet is vacuumed twice a week, and deep-cleaned with carpet cleaner once every four months. We try to do our best to live up to what other good reviews say about our cleanliness.

As for our late checkout misunderstandings, I know The Spring is not the only hotel that charges full-day when a guest requests a late checkout at 9:30pm. In fact, this is a worldwide policy that over 95% of the hotels in the world would charge guests half-day price for late checkout at 6:00pm, or a full-day charge for any late checkout after 7:00pm. I’m sure this is just a misunderstanding between you and our staff. Furthermore, to show you our goodwill, we already gave you a discount of 15% off on your late checkout night. Please check your bill again, we did not charge you full price like you stated in your review.

Once again, I’d like to apologize for any inconveniences or misunderstandings. I hope we’ll have another chance to serve you again at The Spring Hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely,
Nguyen Hoang
The Spring Hotel

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Comfortable room if somewhat small, similarly with the bathroom - also lacking ventilation.
House keeping was top notch - go out into steamy Saigon, and come back to a spotlessly clean room & efficient air-con.
Breakfast was plentiful, and there was always plenty of fruit for starters.
Most staff were helpful & obliging... the older tall doorman, who's name escapes me now, was an absolute gentleman.
A little secret we found out - there is a small roof top garden, a great place to take a bottle of wine or a couple of beers around sunset - very pleasant, or romantic as one of the staff said with a twinkle in his eye!
Very good value for the cost involved.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors as you are closer to the roof top garden.
Reviewed November 20, 2013

The hotel has a perfect location in the city, 10 minutes walk to the main markets and quite central to all locations. The staff are excellent, all very professional,good English speakers and all waiting on staff really nice and friendly. The rooms are fairly priced considering location and style.The hotel has a wonderful lobby with a big grand spiral staircase. The rooms are fairly small but nicely furnished and spotlessly clean. Internet access isn't consistent and can sometimes be a bit sporadic. Tv has a couple of english channels but not extensive. The bathroom is small but again really clean. There was a problem with the water pressure in our room and the shower lost most of its power, we informed the hotel and they sent somebody to have a look but the same thing happened the next time. We stayed two nights, the room has only normal blinds but really does need black out blinds as the sunlight woke us up both mornings. Also the room walls seem quite thin and we could hear next doors morning alarm go off at about six am. The hotel is a good looking property with excellent helpful staff, black out blinds and thicker walks would make it great, one more easier to achieve than the other!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with proper black out binds for when the sun comes up
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Decent value for money. Be aware, there is no kettle or coffee and tea facilities in room so if you require coffee you need to go down to the bar, or the coffee shop diwn the road. Water bottles complimentary. Rooms are very clean and well maintained. Smoking is permitted in rooms so you may smell it in some rooms. Staff are very helpful and friendly. I like a balcony and a kettle but apart from that is a very clean place ti sleep and lots of information available.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Stayed in a suite - big room, clean place. Breakfast was OK. Staff were there, but definitely did not have a real charm. Overall, I'd stay there again if I was in town for a couple of days. It's an area that is very popular with the Japanese tourists, which probably means that it is overpriced.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The hotel is in a great location, within walking distance to the cathedral. The rooms are a little outdated looking, but are clean and very spacious. Our bed was firm and absolutely huge! Breakfast was excellent. Staff were friendly and provided great service. Free Wifi.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This hotel is definitely a find! The location is superb - about 5 minutes walk from the People's Committee Building and all the action along Dong Khoi. My partner and I were in room 205 - which is gigantic! Plenty of space, massive king bed, nice sized bathroom. The staff are very friendly and are happy to assist with any enquiries you have about tours, sights, restaurants etc.The breakfast included in the room rate is also fantastic - very filling and perfect before heading out for the day's adventures. I would have no hesitation in staying here again - well done Spring Hotel and I'll be back!

Room Tip: The end rooms such as 205,305 are much larger than the standard rooms on the floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple