“Good location and value”
Review of Spring Hotel

Spring Hotel
Ranked #133 of 467 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We had a great room with bay window on the front of the hotel. The first room they offered us was a smoking room. When we asked for another room, we got the room we ended up in which was really nice. We walked to a lot of places ... taxis in Vietnam are really cheap ... from the hotel to specific restaurants we wanted to try, it was usually from $1 - $1.50. The breakfast was suitable and we found the staff to be helpful (with one exception).

Room Tip: If you are not a smoker, be sure to get a non-smoking room. The hotel is on a quiet street so o.k...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rosy M

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Hotel is in a great location. Breakfast is enough to keep you going till lunchtime. Internet computers available in the lobby. There is a supermarket on the basement floor and food hall which includes Pho 24, just up the road in the new mall.

I didn't t have much luck with rooms. First night, got a smoking room which I did not want but apparently that was all that was left but they did offer to change my room the next day. Room change was ready by 10am the next day, however it was on the first floor, opposite the bathrooms and next to the hotel office. So a little on the noisey side. I did choose a standard room which probably restricted them as to what room they could give me.

The staff answered my emails for reservation promptly and organized a transfer from the airport which was a little on the expensive side but at least there was someone there to pick me up after 13 hours of flying.

Room Tip: Don't choose the cheapest one and be specific, ie. non smoking if that is what you want.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kim B
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Walking distance to all interesting mid-town locations, even in the eveining ok for returning on foot.
Reception staff very nice and helpful.
Room with backview fairly quiet. Bath and bedding clean.
Breakfast was included, is the usual affair.

Room Tip: Had room in 7th floor, back view, quiet. Wall-to-wall carpeting is irritating in this climate and ce...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I have stayed at the Spring Hotel four times in the past six months. Twice in May 2012 for six nights and twice in October / November 2012 for three nights.

During the first two visits in May the service was extremely good from all the staff - concierge, reception, dining room and cleaners. They seemed happy, accommodating and efficient. However, when I stayed again for two short trips six months later in October and November 2012 the staff had gone from being very attentive to just okay. Unfortunately that seemed to apply right across the board and given I stayed there four times in total, I do not think it would be right just to assume that I was there on a "good day" or a "bad day" which we all have from time-to-time.

On our last night in November (a one night stay at the end of a trip) we were moved from a Suite which allegedly had a plumbing problem to a "Superior Room". I am not sure if there really was a problem or it had just been booked out by someone for longer (which is what I suspect). What the staff did not mention was that this Superior Room was or had once been a Smoking Room and that was pretty obvious within seconds of entering. I am sure that is fine if you are a smoker but I am not and it was pretty unpleasant.

I noticed that on the October and November stays there were Trip Advisor Excellence Awards posted all around the Ground Floor Reception and elevator area. Laminated certificates and stickers showing a four star rating. I cannot help but come to the conclusion that perhaps winning these awards and getting more business as a result means that the staff do not have to try so hard. I remember the same sort of thing sometimes used to happen when places were recommended by Lonely Planet. As soon as a guaranteed stream of customers is onboard, the proprietors think the goal has been reached and stop making much of an effort. Prices go up and standards go down.

I am sure that many people staying there for the first time would think this was a good hotel and in many ways it is. Unfortunately having seen the difference six months can make all I can say is that it is a shame that this has happened. It has gone from an excellent place where I had no hesitation in re-booking for my next trip to an average place where I would not stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jules H
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel within the last week and found it to be a great place to stay. The property is an older building, extremely clean, two large windows, high ceiling, lots of crown molding, nicely painted, good carpet. The staff was excellent.

The first night the bathtub was very slippery. I ask for a mat to put in the tub and it was delivered immediately. The property is well maintained.

I stayed in room 305. Before booking the hotel I did what I always do and checked TripAdvisor. I read the positive and negative reviews. There certinly were far more posititve reviews than negative reviews. I did not see any insects, the hotel was not noisy, air condition worked great, no problem with the elevator being slow, complimentary breakfast was fine and no problem with the bed. I slept like a baby.

I have used TripAdvisor for years and find it extremely helpful, but you must keep in mind when reading the reviews that some people are simply impossible to please. You need to review all the reviews on a proptery and then make an educated decision.

If I would have let the negative reviews frighten me I would have missed out on a great place to stay.

I also point out to a property at the time I make the reservation the negative reviews I have read and explain to them I want a quite room, a room with windows, no smoking room, etc.

Thank you Spring Hotel I had a great stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I was at the Spring Hotel twice,last date oct.3.2012. I really enjoyed it. The hotel was very clean the room was good size, I travel to Europe alot,and you get alot less for your money, There is the Coffee Bean down the street,and had a good small menu,and good cake,that was hard to find in Vn. I was happy to find that. There is a Pizza Hut across from the Coffee Bean., The Hotel was very nice for the price,and the employees were very helpful in booking tours,and onward flights The location was fine..

Room Tip: Don"t carry your purse outside. I took a real small one. There is a safe in the room. I wasn:t...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights before flying back from Vietnam and found a very helpful and friendly hotel in an ideal location to visit the city. The staff were universally helpful and friendly and the room was roomy and good. The location was also perfect (muh better than being in "the backpacker area"). I would certainly recommend staying there

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Colincat
NGUYEN H, Manager at Spring Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thank you very much for your comment, we will try to improve our service & amenities, welcome you come back with us someday.

Good Luck