“Nice hotel, good location, but poor service”
Review of Caravelle Saigon

Caravelle Saigon
Ranked #22 of 476 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed February 4, 2011

We chose this hotel mainly for their pool area. The rooms are nice and big with a huge bed but the decor is a bit dated. Check in was fine but the rest of the service here was nothing spectacular. We were on our honeymoon around Asia and this was the only place that didn't prepare a little something special for us. Ordered an ice cappuccino and it was all foam and no drink. Hung out by the pool and not once did anyone come by (had to chase the server down). Had bfast buffet and needed to use the toilet (this instance called for my own private toilet) so I wanted to bring the rest of my fruit with me to finish in my room but they took it away and were not friendly or accommodating in any way. Decent hotel but I had better service in the smaller boutique hotels in the city. The Caravelle needs to train their staff better to meet western service expectations.

• Stayed: February 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (2,889)

Reviewed February 3, 2011

Great location, rooms and bathroom were a good size and the breakfast was a good selection. Staff were attentive. The open air bar on the 9th floor was nice with good views, but better views are from the Sheraton hotel next door as it's on the top floor and the bar decor and coctail menu is better.

Reviewed January 25, 2011

Very helpful and polite staff. I upgraded to the business floors for very little but which made the world of difference. Having not stopped all day I was very pleasantly surprised to find a fantastic spread in the executive lounge - no need for supper!
The bedrooms are very comfortable as well.
Very welcoming hotel in a fantastic location.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 20, 2011

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights in January 2011after a stay at a beach hotel in phan thiet .we were allocated a city view room on the 19th floor and what a magnificent view we had!! Athough breakfast was the busiest we had experienced for a long time there was no shortage of choice and the staff coped most efficiently. This hotel is the best situated in the whole city within an easy walking distance to all major attractions.Reception and Concierge always welcomed us with a smile and we could not fault them . We would certainly visit this hotel again.
Thank you to all the staff!!

Reviewed January 18, 2011

I have written many hotel reviews for trip advisor, normally there is a niggle or two, but not here!
Great location, super helpful, kind staff, great breakfasts, fine bars.
Most comfortable beds. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever. Jonathan Nettleton

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 16, 2011

My husband and I had a very pleasant 6-day stay at Caravelle. From the moment we were picked up at the airport to the day we were dropped off, by the hotel's limo service.

Checking-in took a lot longer than expected, considering we had a confirmed booking a couple of months before. When we were escorted to our room, we were a little surprised by the size--it's a little small for a 5-star hotel, even for a standard room. It would've been a nice touch for the bellboy to orient us on the use of the room amenities; however, we figured he didn't speak English much. The bathroom sorely needs a makeover. Our toilet was hard to flush and when it did, it made such a ruckus. Even the mirror had permanent stains (like it's peeling off from the back) that was a little disconcerting. I suggest that they add a magnifying mirror in the bathroom. Their blowdryer was a little weak so it took longer for me to get ready. However, the king-size bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in. :)

The hotel is IDEALLY located for everything that you need---restaurants, shopping, culture, and entertainment. Every place we went to were practically walking distance. Being at the center of anywhere you'd want to go is great when the heat and noise pollution start taking it's toll in the middle of the afternoon. So it was wonderful that we could always walk back to the hotel to take a nap and freshen up before going out for dinner.

Breakfast buffet is outstanding. They had a good spread with a few regular breakfast items. I've actually never had any hot roast carvings for breakfast before, so that was a definite plus. All the dishes were seasoned just right. My only complaint was they seemed to like to cook their omelets well-done. I prefer my omelets lemon yellow on the outside and a little wet on the inside. One odd service, water is not served upon request but you'd have to serve yourself from the buffet. That was a little inconvenient because it meant numerous trips to the juice bar using low-ball glasses. Other than that breakfast was perfect.

The use of the gym was a little disappointing. On my 1st night I ran on the treadmill. The young male gym attendant didn't seem to understand that I wanted to know how
make my own 10k program. I had more luck with another female attendant who showed me how. While there were only a couple of people there at around 9pm, I was surprised that they turned off the music and all tv monitors but one, that wasn't even in my view.

Whatever disappointment I had with the gym was made up by the Concierge. The staff were all so helpful, polite, and warm. They volunteered to reserve a table for me and my husband at Lemongrass restaurant which he says is difficult to get on a Saturday night as a walk-in. They were just as helpful to me when I inquired about Vietnamese cooking classes. The man I was talking to even helped me with hailing a cab and giving instructions, while the doorman carefully jotted down the cab's plate number. That made me very happy and very safe.

In my opinion, I consider Caravelle Hotel more like 4-star hotel in a 5-star location. It doesn't have the grand foyer or lobby like other 5-star Asian hotels. But their wonderful staff, outstanding food, and great location more than makes up for a few hitches. My next visit to HCMC, I'll be back at Caravelle.

1  Thank vbs710
Reviewed January 10, 2011

I have stayed at the Caravelle a couple of times and enjoyed each visit. I have found their beds the most comfortable in all Asia. The rooms are quiet and I always get a good nights sleep. Their buffet breakfast has a very large selection and something for everyone.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business