“A 5star hotel that really deserves it's stars”
Review of Caravelle Saigon

Caravelle Saigon
Ranked #21 of 476 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed January 18, 2011

I have written many hotel reviews for trip advisor, normally there is a niggle or two, but not here!
Great location, super helpful, kind staff, great breakfasts, fine bars.
Most comfortable beds. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever. Jonathan Nettleton

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,859)

Reviewed January 16, 2011

My husband and I had a very pleasant 6-day stay at Caravelle. From the moment we were picked up at the airport to the day we were dropped off, by the hotel's limo service.

Checking-in took a lot longer than expected, considering we had a confirmed booking a couple of months before. When we were escorted to our room, we were a little surprised by the size--it's a little small for a 5-star hotel, even for a standard room. It would've been a nice touch for the bellboy to orient us on the use of the room amenities; however, we figured he didn't speak English much. The bathroom sorely needs a makeover. Our toilet was hard to flush and when it did, it made such a ruckus. Even the mirror had permanent stains (like it's peeling off from the back) that was a little disconcerting. I suggest that they add a magnifying mirror in the bathroom. Their blowdryer was a little weak so it took longer for me to get ready. However, the king-size bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in. :)

The hotel is IDEALLY located for everything that you need---restaurants, shopping, culture, and entertainment. Every place we went to were practically walking distance. Being at the center of anywhere you'd want to go is great when the heat and noise pollution start taking it's toll in the middle of the afternoon. So it was wonderful that we could always walk back to the hotel to take a nap and freshen up before going out for dinner.

Breakfast buffet is outstanding. They had a good spread with a few regular breakfast items. I've actually never had any hot roast carvings for breakfast before, so that was a definite plus. All the dishes were seasoned just right. My only complaint was they seemed to like to cook their omelets well-done. I prefer my omelets lemon yellow on the outside and a little wet on the inside. One odd service, water is not served upon request but you'd have to serve yourself from the buffet. That was a little inconvenient because it meant numerous trips to the juice bar using low-ball glasses. Other than that breakfast was perfect.

The use of the gym was a little disappointing. On my 1st night I ran on the treadmill. The young male gym attendant didn't seem to understand that I wanted to know how
make my own 10k program. I had more luck with another female attendant who showed me how. While there were only a couple of people there at around 9pm, I was surprised that they turned off the music and all tv monitors but one, that wasn't even in my view.

Whatever disappointment I had with the gym was made up by the Concierge. The staff were all so helpful, polite, and warm. They volunteered to reserve a table for me and my husband at Lemongrass restaurant which he says is difficult to get on a Saturday night as a walk-in. They were just as helpful to me when I inquired about Vietnamese cooking classes. The man I was talking to even helped me with hailing a cab and giving instructions, while the doorman carefully jotted down the cab's plate number. That made me very happy and very safe.

In my opinion, I consider Caravelle Hotel more like 4-star hotel in a 5-star location. It doesn't have the grand foyer or lobby like other 5-star Asian hotels. But their wonderful staff, outstanding food, and great location more than makes up for a few hitches. My next visit to HCMC, I'll be back at Caravelle.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vbs710
Reviewed January 10, 2011

I have stayed at the Caravelle a couple of times and enjoyed each visit. I have found their beds the most comfortable in all Asia. The rooms are quiet and I always get a good nights sleep. Their buffet breakfast has a very large selection and something for everyone.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 8, 2011

We stayed at the Caravelle for a week with a large family group over late Dec 10, early Jan 11. We had a brilliant time and were very well treated by all staff. While some occasionally displayed the Vietnam Airlines blase attitude to customer service, the vast MAJORITY of Caravelle staff were excellent and tried extremely hard. Internet was free and plenty of complimentary bottled water was provided in our room or upon request. (Not aware if this applies to all rooms or just to our particular rate).

Our airport transfers were handled very professionally, as was our check-in and out. Currency exchange was also easy. The pool is a decent size without being huge and the gym area is good quality without being exceptional, our kids spent plenty of time swimming and eating around the pool and once again the staff in that area provided professional service. If you were a retired couple looking for a quiet dip you might not have enjoyed our presence, however, the pool decking area is a reasonable size.

Of the F&B amenities, the Signature Lounge is worth the extra dollars during a stay and the staff are very helpful - our young children were welcome which was a nice surprise. The other bars/restaurants are very good quality without being exceptional. The Saigon Saigon bar is great, service is good and the views are excellent (check this out whether you stay at the Caravelle or not). Nearby Sheraton and Park Hyatt have nothing as good.

The central location allows you to walk to all major museums and markets, and many good restaurants are either walking distance or at most a ten minute cab ride away.

The rooms are generally good, although be aware that those below about level 11 or 12 can be very NOISY until around 11pm. After that is no problem at all. (I recall reading this on trip advisor beforehand but forgot to ask for a higher room to my peril..) Then again, this is Saigon, and when you have six million people each pressing their car or bike horns EVERY three or four seconds you can't except silence....

I've read other reviews of this hotel referring to non-smoking rooms smelling of smoke, problems with spiked drinks at nearby bars late at night, girls offering services to men etc. etc. And yes, surprisingly enough..!..food, drink and goods for sale at the hotel being far more expensive than at nearby stalls and shops. This is Asia, and Vietnam is very much a developing nation within the region.....if you are going to Vietnam you'd would hopefully be aware of what that entails. If not, I suggest you might go to Vancouver or Melbourne for your holidays. You can drink tap water in those cities, and you can also pay $8 for a beer at a bar next door to one of heir five star hotel just as easily as inside one!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank NewbayFamily
Reviewed January 8, 2011

Clean, modern and efficient hotel in great central location. And with the fantastic rates (check the promotions) this deserves top rating for HCMC. Gym and pool are ok and service is generally good. Did not try the breakfast/restaurant. Recommended? Definitely. Would we stay again? Absolutely! Also on a business trip.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2011

Fantastic hotel - great club room benefits - the beds are the most comfortable I've ever slept in.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2011

Two family groups stayed at the Caravelle Hotel in late December 2010, and we were very impressed with the excellent service and the central location.

The hotel is in District 1, which is the main tourist area, and was close to the Reunification Palace and the Ben Than market. As it's next to the Opera House, we were treated to an impromptu performance on the steps one morning, which we watched from the hotel.

The well-equipped fitness centre and pool are great, and the views from the Saigon Saigon rooftop bar are very good - a nice way to relax with a drink with good friends.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family