“Great place to stay”
Review of Caravelle Saigon

Caravelle Saigon
Ranked #19 of 467 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Stayed at the Caravelle already several times the last years. Till today we never got disappointed. Used Caravelles Airport Transfer. On arrival at the hotel we were directly escorted to our room, where the Check in was done.
We do like the premium deluxe room most - has enough space to sit & relax in the room. Fantastic beds. As mentioned in other reports the bathroom really needs a brush up - but at least it is clean & tidy with a good selection of bathroom amenities.
Still the breakfast buffet at Nineteen is extensive and restocked till the end. Do make a great Vietnamese Coffee on order (hot & iced).
Liked their Cocktails as well in the Lobby Lounge as at Saigon Saigon.
Pool area not that huge - still it never happened that I couldn´t find a place. Nice gym with well maintained equipment.
Very efficient room service.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Saeb27
Write a ReviewReviews (2,817)

Reviewed April 23, 2012

caravelle hotel has one of the best reputations in hcmc, being awarded for excellent service and its membership benefits.

The rooms for us are very nice, very comfortable. The breakfast and buffet in general is so good, so much variety, each and everytime.

We love the cuban band on the rooftop bar. The breeze, the views, the music! Its great. Its also good for families, we often take our young daughter and she dances to their great beats too. Its a real nice place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I have been staying here regularly recently mainly because of the location, and because my work is focused on buildings in the CBD. I know the city very well having lived here for 14 years in the past, and I remember the hotel being built, and the contractors on the building telling me that the M&E systems in the building were "shonky" at best.

I have therefore not been surprised that my rooms are never cool enough and that the engineers coming to the room have not been able to rectify this. But I did think that after some 15 years they might have upgraded.

This afternoon we were informed that the A/C needs "emergency work" which would be done tonight at 11pm; (perfect why not carry out the work just when we all need our sleep, instead of during the day when we can at least go to a coffee shop or something !)

Sure enough, just as I got to bed I started to sweat and now the temperature is up to 27 Celcius in my room, I can't sleep at all. I called the operator and was told that it will not be fixed until 6 am, a great way to start work on a Monday! He offered to send me an electric fan, but instead I got a bowl of fruit and two bottles of cold water, I am rubbing them all over myself gleefully right now trying to cool off, BTW it would be nice if we had some cold water in the fridge to start with, or at least a bucket of ice!

I am very hot, and grumpy and tired, so I might as well have a bit of a rant, we asked for some water by the poolside this afternoon, I was told I had to have Evian or some other expensive mineral water, no choice! They then gave me a bottle of cheap chemical tasting water, warm, I had to ask for a glass (plastic cup), and the water was the same as the stuff they give you,free of charge to clean your teeth with, but by the pool it's $4.50 +++, then , just to rub salt into the wounds they bought a huge bottle of drinking water to put in the changing room water cooler right past our table, also for some reason they won't even let me credit my points to their loyalty programme this trip even though it is my third stay in little over a month they won't explain why, I might well be reconsidering my "loyalty" from now on.

It's now 2.20 am and I can hear water sloshing around in the ductwork somewhere, hopefully it will cool down soon.....

The breakfast is good!

Room Tip: Ask for one with A/C........
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank SaigonSimon
LBorthwick, Manager at Caravelle Saigon, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2012

Dear SaigonSimon,

Thanks for your feedback.

In regards to the overall airconditioning system in the hotel the rumours that you have overheard are merely that, rumors. The hotel has three air conditioning chillers, the latest one is state of the art, only installed just over one year ago. One of these chillers alone is enough to cool the hotel at medium occupancy.

Please accept my apologies regarding the air conditioning being shut done on the night you stayed. This was unavoidable emergency work so we ask your understanding. Regarding your suggestion to shut down during the day, considering the outside temperature during daylight hours here in Saigon is currently 36 degrees where at night down to approximately 25 degrees we feel that the correct decision was made to ensure the comfort of our guests. Luckily yours was only one of two complaints we received and my own room here in the hotel never rose above 24 degrees.

Our current practice which is in line with other five star hotels in the city is currently to charge for drinks beside the pool (the Sheraton next door charges $6 for a water). I will discuss your comments with our management team to decide if any change is necessary.

SaigonSimon if you are travelling back to Saigon please email me on hotel@caravellehotel.com as I would like to apologise in person.

Kind Regards,
Linton Borthwick
Executive Assistant Manager.

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Great hotel located in the middle of the French quarter. Rooms were clean and comfortable, bathroom very clean, if not a little dated. Fantastic breakfast buffet (if not a little pricey, relative to local food). Excellent gym facilities too. Would happily recommend and stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I first visited the Caravelle Hotel in 2000, I think not too long after it opened. At that time I was very impressed with the hotel, even more because I was staying there five weeks they upgraded me to a one bedroom suite.

12 years down the track it was good to revisit a hotel which I had enjoyed previously. Isn’t it great when you can say the hotel is still a very good hotel! From the moment of check-in to the time of check-out there is nothing negative to say about this hotel. You can’t deny that the hotel is looking a little bid aged since its opening days but you can tell it still being well looked after. I took a quick look around the pool and gym which both are in very good condition.

Having reserved one of the “signature rooms” our check-in was moved to a separate lounge area on the 9th floor, which also provides a more subdued place to enjoy breakfast and evening drinks for guests. The check-in process was seamless and the service remained friendly throughout our stay. My only minor note is for those who like a strong shower; I found the shower in the room somewhat weak. Other than that, the Caravell is a good hotel, a tad old, but still in very good condition. Location is also a big plus for choosing this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RWWNSW
Reviewed April 20, 2012

The Caravelle was the best hotel experience we've ever had. The staff were all friendly and helpful, everyone from the cleaners to the managers smiled and greeted us. The location was another huge bonus - it is the best location in town.

I would heartily recommend anyone contemplating the Signature Lounge upgrade to go ahead and do it. I was a bit afraid that it would be an overrated experience or feel like a cruise ship retirement home but far from it - the complimentary cocktails and high quality canapes were a delight. We would go back every evening for a drink or to before dinner and would snack on their delicious foods - the French cheeses were amazing. The breakfast was also very good. Most importantly, we got to know the staff there and they were all exceptional.

The hotel itself was clean, everything worked, the rooms were fully loaded with amenities. I would also like to commend the room service staff for immediately notifying security when I had accidentally left the safe open. There were hundreds of dollars, credit cards, iPad etc but everything was there - just another sign of honesty and integrity from staff. The rooms were cleaned twice a day and the staff were genuinely helpful and it didn't feel like they were doing things simply for a tip. There were some occassions where we didn't give a tip at the bar and they were still friendly - some hotels I've stayed in, staff are often pestering for a tip and then show long faces if you don't give them one. I can only assume the hotel looks after its staff unlike many in developing countries.

The hotel has a rich history and it was special staying somewhere which had a significant role during the Vietnam-American war, the hotel was proud of its history. It didn't feel like staying in some soulless hotel - it felt genuine. I have recommended this hotel to family and friends and will stay there in the future without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mazstar1980
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Excellent hotel position overlooking the Opera House and surrounded by great restaurants, shops and attractions. We had 2 rooms for our family of 5 which had great views and facilities. The beds were amongst the most comfortable we have ever found in hotels- even the extra roll in bed had a deep comfy mattress. Pool was lovely, clean but mostly shaded. Son enjoyed the gym. The range of food for breakfast was staggering and very tasty. Also we had a late flight on checkout day and the hotel were very happy for us to vacate the room at 2pm, hold our luggage and let us use the pool etc till we departed at 9pm. Free wifi always a big bonus.

Room Tip: Non smoking rooms on many floors, excellent views on the 21st floor!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family