“Great Location, good condition”

Palace Hotel Saigon
Ranked #160 of 468 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed September 12, 2012

The hotel may look old in style from outside, however as it has been refurbished, the rooms condition are in good shape. Hotel staffs are fairly friendly and helpful. The location is very good, walking distance to some tourist highlights, markets and malls.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank tpengl

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed there for 2 nights on a trip to Vietnam....the only thing I recommend is the location. All the rest is crap. Room given had corridor view and had a terrible smell but since I was too tired I didn't ask to change...my bad. Rooms are very small. Service is lousy at best. Friend asked some ice and they wanted to charge us for it as well.
Breakfast was one of the worst I have experienced during the whole trip in Vietnam.
Pool is an Ice Box....couldn't even get into the water it was so cold.
I would definitely not recommend this hotel. There's far better places out there

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Laurent D
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed at the Palace Hotel for work and a little vacation for about two weeks. I am glad I did not read the reviews before booking! I found the staff all very courteous and accommodating, weather it was at the front desk, buffet, cafe on the first floor, the spa (very nice), or the taxi service guy. I booked through Agoda and I stayed in a Signiture Suite (they have two, I had the smaller one) which was plenty big for me. Room and bath room were modern and clean. Like most hotels free wifi and water each day. The breakfast, inclusive in my deal, was great for the extra $4 USD I spent on it. Good selection of fresh fruit, omelet bar, western and Asian food. For the $$, quality of room, buffet and location, good deal.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Tadman68
Reviewed August 23, 2012

we had 4 nights at this hotel and was not overly impressed, mind you the location was really good. Staff were not very friendly, rooms were very little even for vietnam standards, to the point you had hardly any where to put luggage!! We went to the roof top bar, which was hardly ever ever staffed and when you got some one they did not seem happy that you were there. I love swimming, but looked at the tiny pool which was freezing!!! and decided i wouldn even attempt to swim in it. Food was very very expensive and they charged for servietts!!! i found breakfast to be very average, and i am not hard to please,but soft stale cornflakes really is not appertising. They said this hotel was 3.5 to 4 star i would put it at 2.5 3 tops! would stay again only for the fact its in great location, would not eat here though and would make sure i had to spend as little time as possible in my room.

Room Tip: there has to be better vlue hotels around but location is great
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2012

As our first point of call in Vietnam the Palace Hotel did not give me a very good impression. Rude staff and smokey dingy corridors. The room was ok, clean and comfortable but nothing special. You have to be careful with the shower as it runs along the side of the bath and floods the whole bathroom. Overall, I probably wouldn't return.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

We arrived at the Palace hotel at about 9pm. Check in was quite a lenghty proccess and the staff were not friendly, talking amongst themselves while we stood there. We were taken to our rooms up the lift which is quite scary and if you don't get out quick enough the door will slam shut on you even if you are half way out, slamming into your arm! You will notice the smell of the corridors straightaway - musty and smoky. The rooms are very basic but quite clean and neat. We could notice the smell in our room as soon as we entered but thought it would go away. After we got back from dinner and returned to our room, you could see a haze over the bed and the smell was unmistakenable - cigarette smoke! It was so strong and we could not sleep in the room. My husband is a smoker and it was affecting him too. We asked to be moved rooms which was fairly easy although they seemed to be taken aback by our request. Once on a non-smoking floor the stay was much more pleasant. Be aware that you will flood the bathroom when you the turn the shower on as it runs over the edge.

You will notice that all of the corridors have no-smoking signs right above the ashtrays!

The buffett breakfast is fine and there was plenty of different choices available. We booked a tour through the tour desk and it was the worst tour ever. The tour guide got drunk and was quite disrespectful to the women on the tour.

I asked the front desk to help re-confirm our internal flights. They did not want to do this for me and handed me the phone - even though they had called the vietnamese speaking line. I handed it back to them and they confirmed the flights but I dont think they were very happy about it.

The staff were not nice at all and as a first impression of Vietnam, we wanted to go home straight away!

I would not recommend staying at the Palace Hotel as I am sure you can get better accomodation with nicer staff elsewhere for the same price.

Room Tip: Ask for the non-smoking floor.
1  Thank Michellebelle86
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Palace Hotel Saigon is anything but a Palace let me assure you! They claim to be 4 star, they can only say this because they offer 24hr service, not that I would describe what they offer here as anything close to service.
If you like a great location, old dated reception with no Air Con, rude staff that grunt and never smile, cold breakfast, leaking bath, wind howling through your room all hours of the day and night...then this is the hotel you've been looking for!
When we arrived I was horrified at the condition of the front desk and furniture, the staff were not happy to see us, in fact they made us feel like we were an inconvenience.
I was hoping that our room would make up for the poor first impression of reception, however the room was about the same. Very small and dated, good view of the bustle of Saigon once we were able to open the balcony door. This very same door was on the windward side of the hotel and wind howled through there all night.
The Air Con was also noisy despite the fact that it was quite new.
We arrived mid afternoon and decided to speak with the Travel Desk about a fishing trip that my husband had his heart set on, the staff member there just told us quite sternly that there wasn't anything available and made no attempt to investigate this claim further. We then called into another travel desk further down the street who was very helpful and found us numerous trips to choose from.
Back to our room, there were no tissues available, no tea, no iron available anywhere in the hotel, the shower leaked all around the bath and onto the floor.
The pool area is very old and the bar was unattended for the 20mins that we waited to be served.
Breakfast was disgusting, very poor selection and all the hot food was cold, the burners underneath each serving dish was out.
I would not recommend this hotel, it was cheap but claims to be 4 star, there are many other hotels close by that are also 4star and in much better condition. Don't let the photos fool you, this hotel looks nothing like this!!

3  Thank Denise J