“Old world hotel in good location”
Review of Metropole Hotel

and 1 more site!
Metropole Hotel
Ranked #181 of 458 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Perth
“Old world hotel in good location”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Stayed here with family in December through Xmas season. The hotel is a bit faded elegance but has a taste of old Vietnam. Rooms were ok but the river view we had booked became only a glimpse from the side street- I have stayed in much better hotels was a tad disappointed with this one but the service was friendly on the whole. Spa. Experience was just so so and they did put pressure on for a healthy tip.. Sofitel in Hanoi was a better choice all round.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank City/Countrycousin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
beijing
Reviewed December 10, 2011

The spa is a disgrace to the otherwise perfect hotel. I am shocked at the bad experience that I just had. The masseurs was very unhappy when she noticed that I only had my doorcard in my hand. I thought about telling her that I would go back to my room to get my purse, but in the end I did not. When I asked her to dim the light, she did not even bother to reply. Half a way through the 60-minute treatment, there was still no music, I asked whether she was going to put on the music, she answered that the music player was broken. However, before I was hurled out of the room, I noticed that she put the iPod back to player, it is actually working. All I got for the US$75 was constant rub on my feet and I was hurled out of the room after 50 minutes. It is really a bad experience.

Room Tip: The room in the Metropole wing is actually quite noisy.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank huili112005
Manila
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Families and couples, beware of the spa. You won't believe that this seemingly decent hotel has a spa where masseurs would be willing to offer more than just a massage. Massage price was reasonable but when you start feeling uncomfortable with what you thought was legit massage, tell them you have to go. The masseuse would hand you a piece of paper to write how much you are tipping her in Viet Dong. Give her the lowest price and do not be pressured. We did not report this to management as no one seemed really genuinely interested in your business as a customer.

The room we got was ok, had to transfer from a dark twin bed room to a well-lit double bed room by the road. Breakfast was buffet with lots of choices. Pool was great and poolside bar served fantastic coffee.

This was actually in June 2010. First time I went to HCM was Mar 2008 and we had a better stay in Happy Inn along Bui Vien.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Jason C
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 16, 2011

We stayed at the Metropole in September this year. It is a marvellously historic and fascinating hotel and the staff are wonderful and very helpful. The food in the restaurants was excellent though I found the breakfast a little disappointing compared with other hotels in Vietnam. The beds were exceptionally comfortable but the rooms are perhaps a little small and on our return from a three day trip to Halong Bay the room we were given had no mirror near a plug (the previous room had) which made it impossible for me to blowdry my hair and I had to go to the hair salon. The hairdryers in the bathroom have to be permanently held on which makes blowdrying pretty much impossible so I needed to plug in my own hairdryer somewhere with a mirror. It’s only a small thing and not important if you don’t need to blowdry your hair. The pool area is very well looked after and staffed and even though building was going on it was not terribly disturbing.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PerthJojo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Rooms impeccable. Historic wing has charm to spare. Modern wing looks like it has been there forever and rooms are exceptional. Staff is OUTSTANDING. Very French in atmosphere. Bars and restaurants wonderful. Shops great. Pool awesome. Perfect!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Laura60878
Saigon(HCMC)
Reviewed October 9, 2010

I don't know if the hotel will be rebuilt or not...

Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank clixtox
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 15, 2010

No real problems with this hotel at all. It has a rooftop pool that is very nice, close to the cafe strips of Saigon and also the main markets. Also has some history about it, being a hotel for the US military during the war. Certainly recommended.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple