“Don't stay there”

Ranked #39 of 453 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Sydney, Australia
“Don't stay there”
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Arriving with my elderly parents, we arrived to find they had overbooked and there was only one room not two rooms available. The one room that they did have didn't even have a window. The hotel's solution was to send one of us to stay at another hotel 3km away!! After almost 30 minutes of arguing and finally upon my demands of speaking to the general manager a room was found with a window - hardly an extravagant request! The final outcome was an extra bed being added into the one bedroom. I am still trying to get a refund for the pre-paid booking for 2 hotel rooms.

I don't recommend anyone stay there as the room standards are quite low and the comments by other writers regarding noise is very true if you have a pool view room or have a low level room overlooking the very noise street.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Jonathan197464

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
South Miami, Florida
Reviewed November 9, 2010

I stayed there 10 days.....................rooms are just old school,small,but clean.and I guest for the money it was ok. Old TV' was a surprise!
Breakfast was good the first few days,but it got real old after 10 days.Fresh fruit in the room daily-somedays it was UFO fruit! Laundry service was very good and cheap too.
I'll pack a lot less this next trip! Casino was a few slot machines,and that was it.
Business center-internet was working sometimes,never got the printer to work in 10 days.Restaurants -food just so-so.
I'm going back to HCMC next month.................not sure where i'm going to stay.............
The Grand has a great location for business,and a great staff.....................

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Noisy, Noisy, Noisy.

This place was built in 1930, and I don't think they have too much to it since then. Upon check in, we had 5 double rooms booked, we were informed that they had run out of double rooms and could give us 2 single beds, or surprise, surprise the only other room was a suite, which we had to pay an extra $35USD per night for. We were also told that breakfast was served from 6.00 until 10.00, we arrived for breakfast at 9.30 to find that it had mostly been packed up and were then told that it finishes at 9am...!

Don't waste your time with this one..!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank BazzaB65
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 26, 2010

My husband and I spent 6 nights at the Grand and really enjoyed our stay, the staff were very friendly, the rooms comfortable and the breakfasts were very adequate. the view of the swimming pool area was very relaxing. Unfortunately our room was close to the bar, which was extremely noisey at night. If you intend to stay there make sure you ask for a room above the third floor and way from the bar area.
the biggest bonus is that it is very well located for walking around the city.

1 Thank supergranBrisbane
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 23, 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Grand Hotel in HCMC for 3 nights, then 1 extra night after our trip from Phu Quoc island. I was actually quite disappointed at the hotel for the price that we paid compared to others. It cost me $105usd a night for an average hotel but in a good location (in Dong Khoi, District 1 - the upper end of Saigon).

The hotel is quite old. It's been operating since 1963 and they are building newer wings as we speak which means you can hear the construction going from early morning to night (that didn't really bother us). The room that I selected was the superior new wing but to me, it was just an average standard room with a view of nothing. In hindsight, I should've picked the original wing which looked very classic, facing the pool and bar area. The rooms are clean, the bathrooms are fine but again, it's just really ordinary and not worth $105usd per night.

The bar and pool area is pretty cool. My partner and I got drunk one night with their reasonably priced cocktails (happy hour from 4-6pm). They have a BBQ from 6-9pm and the food is not bad at all. There is even a band that plays every night to set the scene, while you sip on your cocktail or swim by the pool. Breakfast is in another restaurant - pretty average with the usual selection, again not worth $105usd a night. The gym as they called it is not really a gym so don't go thinking you're going to get top-notch gym workout with their equipment.

The massage and spa service is cheap but not great. I had a foot massage which cost around $6aus for supposedly an hour but I only had 30min. I had 2 ladies massaging me at the same time (one leg each) but they were too busy talking to each other. At the end of the treatment they asked me for tips and gave me a nasty look when I only gave them $3 extra.

We organised the Cu Chi Tunnel tour ($45usd for half day) and Mekong Delta tour ($75usd for full day, lunch provided) with the tour service at the hotel. You can probably find cheaper tours elsewhere but we heard some horror stories from other travelers and wanted to make sure that we get a good service and we did. We ended up going on a private tour with our own tour guide and were fed extremely well.

Overall, the Grand Hotel is not bad as a hotel but I just don't think it is worth $105usd a night. Although it is in a good location, you can probably find a better one for that price.

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed October 23, 2010

Good hotel, located in District 1, the best area in the city, along streets with shops and restaurants and most important historic buildings in Ho Chi Minh. At the time of booking and after reading the comments of travelers, we expressly ask that the rooms should be located in the old wing and with window to the street. This was an excellent decision. In fact, the rooms were huge, with large windows and king size beds. Breakfast is excelent, with great variety of food. The staff is efficient though not particularly sympathetic. The pool is only reasonable and entire spa area is very old and is not compatible with one 4 star hotel, necessitating an urgent replacement of equipment.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Got what I thought was a good deal, paid 115 per night, which should give you a very nice place in Ho Chi Minh. Grand Hotel Saigon is very far from grand. It is old yes, but not as in grand but as in worn smelly. Bathroom is old and reminds me of the soviet union. This hotel should cost around 50 usd per night, max. The only good thing is the location, everything else is terrible. How it could be given a +8 rating on booking is just totally amazing. Stay away away away.

1 Thank TpotAgent