“Great rooms but so so facilities and service”
Review of Grand Hotel Saigon

Grand Hotel Saigon
Ranked #42 of 458 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
“Great rooms but so so facilities and service”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The best part of my recent stay at Grand Hotel was my room and bathroom. Both were of a nice size, the bathroom very much so (separate shower & bath) and well appointed. Cleanliness and little touches (a fairytale dropped on my bed each evening) were also good. There were slight noise issues in my room (10th floor) with nightlife at the street level, but nothing major.
The hotel has staff which can appear friendly but also can appear clueless, management probably to blame. Knowledge of english is also hit and miss. Management appears most at fault for the shaky restauration and use of public spaces. None of the 3 functional (though 5 claimed..) restaurants is really inviting and all are seriously overpriced. The breakfast is free but not nearly good enough in quality and presentation. Most clients are elderly european couples or asian tourists.
I paid near to a hundred dollars per night incl breakfast which seemed good enough value.
A final negative touch was the poor internet reception, needs attention. My 4 'stars' are just for the room and bathroom. The rest is more like 2 'star', in fact appears the hotel already lost a 5th star. If only some management can take action, but the hotel is (alas) state-owned...

Room Tip: Good high up to avoid street noise, also get away from elevators..
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Arrived at the hotel its a beautiful Old Hotel with a new wing attached, we booked a Superior room and were told that we had been uprgraded to a suite, yahoo, it was in the old section and was a fantastic room with seperate Lounge area overlooking the pool. The staff were very professional and I would not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone, Breakfast was included and it was a well prepared buffet with a wide choice of meals.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Pecetto Torinese, Italy
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I've been recently in this hotel for two nights and I had a positive sensation. Room was spacious and quite, facing on interior garden. Wifi is working well in term of coverage but is quite low. The hotel has been completely renewed and I noticed they have removed one star (5 to 4). Swimming pool is amazing, you are open air, but surrounded by hotel rooms, it's nice and intimate. Breakfast is luxurious for the price paid. If you want to have a walk around, you are immediately in the center, surrounded by the smell and sensations of south Vietnam, even if it's hard to find a real Vietnamese restaurant being a touristic area.

Room Tip: If you want quietness choose room facing garden, if you like view room facing on road are available.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is in the middle of a great area for shops and places to eat. Rooms were clean and well appointed. Bathrooms modern and plenty of facilities. The staff at the reception were friendly and very helpful. The only issue was that the group went to the roof bar and it took 25 minutes for one of the group to get their cocktail. After mentioning this issue to the reception staff when we returned the next night the service was very slick.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed in the hotel for 4 nights while attending a conference at a nearby hospital. Was picked up at the airport by friendly and efficient hotel representatives which was perfect after 26 hours of travel.
Checking in at 11:30pm was fast, efficient and very helpful. I was directed straight to my previously requested smoke free and quiet room (after reading TA reviews). Was pleasantly surprised when I found a large, modern, clean and well appointed room. Very usefully the rooms plugs were all multi-form adaptable, though the room had their odd light console by the side of the bed which took a little getting used to, is actually a good idea when you get the hang of it, but isn't easy to switch on in the dark.
The first short night consisted of two fire alarm soundings, with a reassurance from the front desk that it was an error, but I was too tired to worry about further and thought that after 26hours of traveling I was happy to risk a real fire. The furnishings of the room were great, though a bit tricky getting out of the shower (stepping onto the bath mat) but the raindrop shower head is a godsend for the weary traveller. Parents please be aware that the windows open fully or at least the 11floor did, so mind younger folks. Quite a firm bed. Free Internet access (please note gouging US hotels) though the service is patchy and prone to dropping out when face timing home.
Breakfast is multicultural and quite enjoyable. Pool is terrific to hang out by, nice and quiet, but don't expect to develop a bronzed tan as the sun only hits the area for a few hours. The gym is fairly well appointed-3 running and 3 elliptically and a resistance station.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor facing east towards the river.
London
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed at the Grand twice over the period of a week. Both times we were in the 'Heritage Wing' which is the original hotel which was built in the 1930s (the oldest in Saigon apparently). The first time our room was off the pool with a shared sitting room between our room and the corridor, but it wasn't air-conditioned so was too muggy to use. The rooms are high ceilinged and nicely appointed, with original features and big bathrooms but the plumbing in both rooms was less than ideal and flushing the loo could prove challenging!

The rooms were also very noisy. Even with the outer shutters closed, it sounded as if the windows were wide open and we found earplugs a necessity if we weren't to be woken at rush hour (5-7am!). The air conditioning was also temperamental.

We only ate breakfast in the hotel which was extensive but looked better than it tasted. It was a particular challenge to get coffee as this involved catching the eye of a waitress, explaining that we'd like coffee, hot water (the coffee is v strong and needed diluting) and hot milk. This seemed too difficult and by day 4 we'd reverted to tea! Be warned that the level of English spoken in both the hotel and the city, is not brilliant and while waitresses nod and appear to understand, they clearly don't.

One other gripe was that the wi-fi was extremely hit and miss and we couldn't even download our emails.

Room Tip: Avoid room 204 by the lift - it's particularly noisy. And the rooms in the new tower block, whil...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ho Chi MInh
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I came to Le Grand Spa because I dedicatedly followed Tommy Bui from his previous gig as the main stylist at the Park Hyatt (before they closed the salon).

I have very thick, curly, high-lighted blonde hair - basically the exact opposite of the typical hair you see in Asia - so I was very nervous about how I would maintain my roots while living abroad. Well, thank god I found Tommy! He is a world class professional. He has highlighted my hair on par, or even better, than some of my former stylists in NYC. My highlights look natural and my hair is healthy. Also, the woman who massaged my head - oh my god.

Tommy is not cheap, but it is definitely worth it. You get Western quality/performance at high-Eastern prices.

What has sparked my need to rave about Tommy is due to my unfortunate recent stray. I went to the new Toni & Guy Saigon only because they just opened up beneath my apartment. I was curious. Boy, do I regret going there. They dyed my hair fluorescent yellow - after fixing it 3 times and me nearly losing all my hair, I am now a dark brunette, because they clearly can't handle highlights. But that is another story, for another review....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo