“Got robbed!”

Ranked #38 of 448 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Australia
“Got robbed!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2008

Apart from the filthy pool, room, bathroom and a stench like I don't know what, the room was big and quiet.

They provide safes in the rooms, and as I was only going to the pool for a dip(which I wish I hadn't), I didn't put my wallet in the safe, but I did lock my door.

On returning to my room which I had only checked into 20 mins earlier, I noticed the room service trolley blocking the door ( not to my room but to an alcove for two rooms), I had to move the trolley to get past(warning call for thief), and a "manager" was in my room and told me he was doing "a final inspection and is everything ok?"

I said yes and he left.

Some 2-3 mins later I checked my wallet( not in safe) and I was fleeced.

Didn't do anything about it as there is a sign in the room saying;

HOTEL HOLD NOT RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEFT FROM ROOMS - USE SAFE PROVIDED.

Never will I go near the place again!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank Allways_travlin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Horsham sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2008

I would reccommend this hotel as long as you are in the old wing where the rooms have plenty of character with high ceilings and wooden floors. The roof top bar is worth a visit and not over priced. last time we were in Saigon we stayed at the Rex and were really disapppointed but not so this time.

• Liked — The rooms in the old wing
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suejm
West Aussie
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2008

It had been a rather long day, so wonderfully calming to arrive at the Grand Hotel and find our first reservation awaiting us. Loved the Grand, not pretentious nor gaudy, not too big. A room in the old wing overlooking Dong Khoi Street (though didn’t find it noisy, let’s face it toot-toot is Vietnam speak for here I am on holidays and having a great adventure!!) ahhhhhhhhhh it felt SO good to be there.

Rooms are spacious, high ceilings, wooden floors and wonderful bathrooms, felt at home immediately. Was late when we arrived so had a meal at top floor restaurant, views over the city and glimpse of the river, sights sounds smells and our first taste of Vietnam beer. Prices so cheap!! even in the hotel, and food tasty.

Grand Hotel has the most overwhelming breakfast spread. I don’t think you could possibly want for anything, from fruit to cheeses to salad to dim sum to soups to eggs any style etc etc etc Also excellent place to change money, we got the best rate there changing Oz dollars of anywhere. Their swimming pool wonderful place to relax after a busy day. Is surrounded by the hotel, being located internally. Along one side is the new section, and have to say it hasn’t blended very well with the old, quite featureless and IMO poorly thought out, could have been done much more tastefully. The hotel is being extended again, and from the artist representation, it looks as though it will be more visually appealing than the previous extension, let’s hope so.

• Liked — Quality, style without being big and glitzy
  • Disliked — Can't think of a thing!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PaintedSkies
New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2008

A really lovely hotel to spend our last few days of Vietnam in. Service was excellent, breakfast the best we had in Vietnam, beds lovely and firm not hard tho!! Room a good size
Only one thing I didnt like and that was the cold pool!!! Would def stay here again if I ever go back to Vietnam

• Liked — The Amazing breakfast
  • Disliked — The cold pool
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2008

A bit of background on myself: I used to live in Saigon about 12 years ago, and I've been back there regularily as I love the country. So I've seen the city and its hotel offering evolve.

My wife and myself stayed last week-end at the Grand Hotel, and the overall experience with the hotel was not good to say the least.

In fact, I had already stayed in this hotel 8 years ago, just after they had done some major renovation work, and my memory of it was quite positive. Sure, it was never going to be of the same standard as the Sheraton (where I stay when going there on business) or the Park Hyatt, but I was looking for something with a bit more of a colonial touch even at the expense of some comfort.

The mistake I made was not remembering that this hotel is operated by Saigon-Tourist, a state run tourism agency. They are notorious for their complete lack of attention for things like maintenance. And sure enough, the hotel was very run down compared to my last stay there.

Here's the list of what we disliked:

- carpets look like they haven't been changed in 10 years
- breakfast food is of poor quality and unsufficient quantity. The buffet runs from 7:00 to 9:00 but it doesn't look like they replenish it after 8:00
- bathroom was not cleaned properly and relly old
- went to the so called "spa" and were shocked. The massage room is as messy as anything I've seen
- wanted to go to the swimming pool, but after looking at the color of the water (murky / yellow-ish), decided to stay clear of it
- overall impression is just that the hotel is falling to pieces

What we liked:

- the location is fantastic
- people at the reception were OK

But what's really killing it in my view is the price. Value for money is terrible. We paid USD 165 / night inclusive of breakfast for a Deluxe New Wing room (God knows what the old wing looks like now). Given what I describe above, I feel that anything above USD 90 for what you get there is overpriced despite the great location.

Frankly, at this price range, you can get much, much better in the central area (district 1) of HCMC. At a similar rate, a bit further down the road, you have the Renaissance Riverside which would definitely be a better choice.

Just FYI, the Majestic and Continental Hotels on Dong Khoi street are also operated by Saigon-Tourist, so I would anticipate somewhat similar issues there.

Boris

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank flanker2000fr
Cardiff.UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2008

Lovely hotel but they have half messed up the beautiful building.The old wing is still beautiful overlooking the courtyard pool.These are quiet rooms.The new wing is bland and not in keeping,some rooms overlook the pool and seem quiet whereas the rooms overlooking the road are noisey with the never ending traffic and construction.Staff ,location and breakfast are really great.I would certainly stay here again but only in the old wing.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank joanslade
LONDON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2008

This was our first taste of hotels in Vietnam.

It was OK, nothing else.

The rooms were clean but the bathrooms were small and looked very old. White tiles, white bathroom suite, no character, looked like something from an old hospital really.

The staff did what they had to I would not say there was any one that excelled and made our visit memorable.

Great location, in the best area of town.Lovely shops nearby everywhere was walkable. I choose this hotel because of the price and the swimming pool, shame the sun went off the pool in the afternoon, just about the time I arrived back looking to soak up the sun after a hard day pounding the streets and trying to avoid not getting run over!!

Breakfast was nothing speacial, but then none of the hotels we stayed in in the month we were in Asia seemed to be able to make a decent breakfast, cheap jam, terrible juices, just horrid!!!

• Liked — The loaction
  • Disliked — It was all a bit drab
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple