“Oscar Saigon Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Oscar Saigon Hotel

Oscar Saigon Hotel
Ranked #184 of 448 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

My boyfriend and I enjoyed our stay there, and even got free massage tokens upon check in. We went down on our first day to redeem them and all was fine. However, on our third day I was unwell, and my boyfriend went down to have a massage alone, only to be offered a "happy ending massage". The so-called "massage therapist" was quite forceful about it and very argumentative with him when he declined. Very bizarre experience indeed, and it distressed me to know that this occurs in a hotel like this. I would definitely not recommend this hotels to friends if their husbands were going to be offered things like this!
Apart from that incident, we had a pleasant stay and all other members of staff were pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Mela_Verde8
Tooele, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

Alright, let me give you the real story. Saigon Tourist a joint stock company (but mostly controlled by the state) is the owner/operator of the Oscar Hotel. The big office for Saigon Tourist is less than a block away and it seemed to me that the staff there are some of the best in the Saigon Tourist organization.

We checked-in late after a delayed flight out of Nha Trang and by the time I was settled and realized I was hungry, it was nearly 11:00 p.m. - the normal closing time for the restaurant. They had just about finished cleaning-up from a wedding and getting ready for breakfast the next morning when I showed up hungry. There was no hesitation inviting me into the dining room and serving me a wonderful meal. If you stay at this hotel, you must go to the 11th floor dining room after dark just to appreciate the beautiful views of the Saigon Opera, the Rex Hotel and Saigon's main government building that has a name, but I didn't bother to ask it. Of course the view is the same for breakfast - just less dramatic.

Our room was clean and roomy, and the water was hot, though the pressure was just a bit low. The television wasn't much, but it worked properly. This building is old and the company is quazi governement so some of the hallways aren't bright and airy, but the lobby is bright, warm and inviting and was well stocked with local and international papers even current issues of USA Today (go figure). Two computers for free internet - just a bit slow - but still free.

The staff was very accomodating, accepting packages from three different stores and delivering them straight to our room, and they even held a parcel for two days after we left that was to be picked-up later by an acquaintance. The foot massage, though not the very best, was a good value, and I wasn't 'shaken down' to pay a large tip either.

As far as location - wow, it doesn't get much better! Dong Khoi street was a very short distance to walk to, Diamond Plaza and Parkson were walkable, or very cheap taxi rides. And I didn't see Cho Ben Thanh once (a real plus, those that are regulars will understand). Plan on paying less than 100,000 dong to get here from the airport - actually closer to 80,000 dong.

This is probably the best value for the quality and location of this hotel. It would be great for business or for pleasure.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple