“Do not consider staying here”
Review of Oscar Saigon Hotel

Oscar Saigon Hotel
Ranked #167 of 476 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Arrived at hotel.Taken to room by porter who couldnt get the key to work.Waited twenty minutes and five phone calls later when girl came up with another key.No apology.Room was tiny.Loo would not flush.Complained but to no avail.Ended up filling cistern from hose pipe next to toilet.Had to do this for the whole stay.Shower only worked intermittantly.TV couldnt be used as plug in wall was broken.Sheets were almost threadbare.If we had been staying more than two nights we would have moved to another hotel.Staff couldnt care less.Never again.

1  Thank Noreen E

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The Palace Hotel on the next corner looked a little nicer, but this hotel is adequate, and an easy walk to the Rex Hotel, shopping and restaurants. There's a beautiful view from the 11th floor breakfast room. The extensive buffet breakfast included bacon, fruit, omelettes, potatoes, breads, cheeses, toast. The small room was clean, and included a fridge and safe, but we had weak water pressure. The small lobby area included a a bar. There is a third, large elevator.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We were with a Gate1 tour with 37 others.
Looks very nice, inside and outside. Very centrally located and within easy walking distance of shopping and restaurants. Staff seemed very friendly and helpful, though some of them did not speak English and frequently had to ask others for help.
Negatives: 2 little skinny elevators, where 4 people seemed to be the max that can get on! Yes, there is ONE bigger elevator, which seems to be used for luggage by the staff, and waiting for the elevator was frustrating - I walked up and down the 5 stories a few times, rather than wait. Breakfast at restaurant at the 10th (?) floor was very good, and a beautiful view from up above.
Room was fine, but the bathroom was very narrow; when brushing teeth, I could sit on the edge of the tub.
2 PCs were available in the lobby; however, there were problems in booting up, and one PC took over 10 minutes before finally booting up; the other one kept looping until I rebooted, and English software was difficult to find. Did eventually worked it out, but next evening, same problems. Staff didn't know what to do.
They did have bandages in the lobby, which I needed as I had blisters on my feet.
Also, they have a transformer, so I was able to recharge my camera batteries my last night in the city.
Conclusion: It is a 4-star hotel, but ... kinda expected more than a bit above average.

1  Thank dragon789wv
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The Oscar Saigon hotel was clean and comfortable, very well located and there was a reasonable selection for breakfast. I assume that Ho Chi Minh city has had tourists for longer than other parts of Vietnam that we had visited as some of the staff were not particularly friendly. They seemed people weary. We requested a room away from the lift as we had heard it was noisy, and also a room with a window as some didnt have. Our requests were replied to promptly and courteously.
Outside of the hotel, one lady in our group had her necklace snatched from her neck by a man on a moped within 5 minutes of arriving in the city.
There is a scam going on with the taxis also as several people experienced problems. The meters seem to suddenly leap ahead with the price and the taxi driver did a crafty switchover with money and said we had given him small notes when we knew we had given him 100,000 dong notes as we had just changed them up. A lot of shouting resulted between him and my husband (who is a large chap) and I persuaded my husband to get out and forget about it as I didnt particularly want him spending his holiday in jail cell or getting hit on the head with an iron bar. We were overcharged about £10, some paid much more. I suggest people agree a price before getting in and dont trust the meters or the drivers. Pity, elsewhere in Vietnam people were very honest.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the lift and if you like having a window, request one.
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Considering the price this hotel is good value. We stayed for a couple of nights in March and our room was small but clean. The breakfast buffet was fine but not inspiring. I was pleased to see that there was a spacious lift having read the reviews which said there were only 2 tiny lifts and being lift phobic! This is a no frills cheap downtown hotel - staff could do with a bit of customer service training but polite and helpful generally

Room Tip: We had a city view room which had a good view of downtown HCM.
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed 7 days at this hotel, and below are my views on the hotel.
First, the lobby staff were not very friendly and you can tell instantly by just walking inside and even after 30 minutes, there will be no one smiling or happy to see or greet you. It's like they are angry at everyone for some unknown reason. Some of you who are reading this may think this isn't right and I was surprised by this too. Five years ago, HCMC was a very friendly place, but HCMC has changes quickly in the last couple of years, the smiles are gone as VN becomes more wealthy as a nation due to the many foreign investments taking place today.

So if you are expecting to feel welcomed at this place, be ready for a shocking surprise! Once you can get past this, the rooms themselves are clean but barely making the money paid worth the value. The location is ok but VN is really too hot to be walking anymore than 1 or 2 minutes outside, so if you plan on visiting the night markets at HBT that's about a 12 minute hot and sweaty walk.

Wifi is good and surpisingly fast. That's really the only positive I can say about this hotel. The breakfast staff were nice too. They list a fitness center but it's really a small open space next to their checkin desk at the spa with a set of small free weights. The room is very hot and the ac is never on, I don't think anyone has ever used the fitness center in years.

As I was checking out of the hotel, I was informed that the pillow sheets were missing and they wanted to charge me for it! Typical scams these hotels try to pull on foreigners. I wasn't going to fall for it so I told them I am heading up to talk to the person up in the room to see what this is all about. Turns out they weren't expecting me to call their bluff and by the time I got up there the guy told me they found the sheets and everyting is ok.

Becareful with this place everyone. I wasn't expecting these kind of shady scams coming from a hotel like this. Maybe from a 1 or 2 star hotel but definitely not one like this. I guess scams have no boundaries.

Also, I would advise that when you check out, do not use their taxi service, Saigon Tourist. There are only two trusted taxi companines in HCMC VN, that is vina sun and mai linh (38 38 38 38) (38 27 27 27) Any other taxi is 99% scam. I thought I could trust the taxi that this hotel owns but it turns out they have their own scams cooking. The meter showed 67k fare, I gave the taxi guy 100k bill, he quickly switched my 100k bill with a 20k bill and told me I only paid 20k and needed to pay more. He did this all with a straight face and no shame. These guys are so used to scamming people they really don't care.

If i ever travel to HCMC again, I will absolutely not consider staying at the Oscar hotel ever again. I don't care if the people I'm travelling with already have rooms booked there, I will make a booking at a more trusted and non scamming place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank koby3331
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This hotel has a 4 star rating with the expected additional luxuries you'd expect with this rating in the rooms. We found the staff were friendly and helpful from the reception staff dealing with our travel inquiries to the restaurant staff at breakfast.

The breakfast was a fully comprehensive offer of continental, Western and Asian alternatives from a self-service buffet. The view from the top of the hotel over the surrounding rooftops was impressive.

While the hotel and rooms were clean and modern, the only negative experience was the slightly thin doors where you can hear people talking outside your room. The real advantage was the hotel's location which is in district 1 where most sightseeing places are found and within walking distances. The porters were helpful in getting taxis for us of which there seemed to be plenty.

Other luxury hotels are found in the immediate surrounding area which is quite a bit quieter than where the majority of backpackers' hotels are located. There are a few bars within walking distance.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends