“My holiday in Ho Chi Minh”

Hotel Equatorial Ho Chi Minh City
Ranked #27 of 475 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Had my year end holiday in Ho Chi Minh. Travelled there alone to meet my sister who is working there. Stayed at Equatorial in District 5. Services and management of the hotel was good with friendly and efficient staff. The hotel was also hygienic and clean. The food, especially the buffet breakfast that came with the room rate was great. I was told the location of the hotel is not so favourable as it was away from town centre (District 1), but to me it was alright. I took a taxi to go to An Dong Plaza and when I wanted to go to D1, I took the complimentary shuttle service. Then I would take a taxi to my next destination. I only took taxi from the company Vinasun or Mai Linh. After a day of wondering around in D1 or An Dong, I found the hotel to be a peaceful and quiet place to come back and rest. HCM is a nice city except for the motorbikes and chaotic traffic. Somehow, it's amazing, the few days that I was there I did not come across road accidents nor cars badly dented.

I had a great time there even though short. My only regret is I did not buy any souvenir from the GPO. I thot I could go with my sister the next day but since she was working it was not possible. Also did not have the time to go to Ben Thanh. Perhaps next trip.

Room Tip: If you are afraid of the heat, choose a room that does not face west.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank HohInn
Write a ReviewReviews (1,278)

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of a deals.com Vietnem holiday. We upgraded to a Club room as we like the extra service & business facilities (free wifi). The room was great, very quiet, comfortable bed, nice bathroom. Club staff were excellent very friendly and helpful, and the club had nice breakfasts and free evening drinks with canapes. Be aware that the hotel is in district 5 and most of the tourist areas are in District 1 so it is a bit out of the way. The hotel runs a shuttle to the major tourist spots a few times a day. We had a full day tour booked for the day we were in Ho Chi Minh so the location wasn't an issue for us.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I went here for my friend's birthday. The price is quite reasonable. You will have a selection of fresh seafood including NZ oysters. If you want to have a acceptable-price buffet. Here is good choice.

If you want to have a more various selection buffet, Caravelle, Sheraton and Legend should be a better choice.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AmaKong
Reviewed December 4, 2012

First off, the staff are excellent! Very well trained and very customer oriented. The ride from the airport took about 45 minutes, but the check-in process was a breeze, took about 5 minutes, did not even have to bother with the bags, everything was sent up without my asking or telling.

The facilities are good, although the hotel somewhat resembled an old train station.... in a good way of course. Overall, I have no complaints, the room was big and comfy, the staff were very service oriented, and most of all, it felt safe staying at this hotel.

Whenever I called for a taxi to go anywhere, the hotel staff would take down the registration number of the taxi, and tell the driver in their native language (Vietnamese, I think it was), exactly where I wanted to go. They also took the initiative to advise me on places of interest and gave me directions on how to get there and back.

Overall, a very good experience staying here and will definitely be staying here again if I were to be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I wasn't over impressed with this hotel. Public areas look quite grand but some of the stuff in the bedrooms is a bit antiquated and needs refurbishing. We had problems with the room safe and were not best pleased at the staff insisting it was our fault. Free wi if is only available downstairs and is very slow. Food was very good but expensive and there are not many alternative eateries nearby. It!s not in the best part of town but there is a free shuttle service to the centre every two hours and taxis are not expensive. If you are getting a taxi to the hotel take a map with you - there doesn't seem to be a Vietnamese equivalent of The Knowledge and drivers tend to look blankly at you when you say the hotel name . Breakfast service was a shambles -no-one to show you to a table and hard work to find somewhere to sit that wasn't covered in dirty dishes. It was equally hard work to get a cup of tea or coffee. Some staff training is needed!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Anne B
Julien O, Rooms Division Manager at Hotel Equatorial Ho Chi Minh City, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you for having stayed with us at Equatorial hotel during your previous visit in Ho Chi Minh City.
We have well noted your comments and would like to thank you for your feedback as it will help us to improve our service.
Following your experience during breakfast, rest assured we are going to conduct proper training to our staff in order to avoid such inconvenience.
Once again, thank you for having shared your concern with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Well managed hotel, helpful staff, good breakfast buffet; small pool.
Minor complaints: City "map" is a poorly photocopied A5 pamphlet; no touristic brochures etc available.
Major problem: The doors cannot be closed quietly, but must be banged to shut. Have a group at your floor and you can forget any sleep after 5:30 in the morning.
It is very surprising that the large Malaysian Equatorial Group - with hotels all over SE Asia - is unable to care for a proper door mechanism.
And, of course: The hotel is in the middle of urban nowhere. Trying to walk to the centre (25 minutes) is an obstacle course with poor walkways and maddening motocycle drivers hindering your undertaking.

1  Thank travelerAdelaide
Julien O, Rooms Division Manager at Hotel Equatorial Ho Chi Minh City, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent experience while staying at Hotel Equatorial Ho Chi Minh City.
We sincerely value your comments in our continuous effort to provide friendly and efficient service.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience experienced regarding the door closer and rest assured appropriate action has been taken in order to avoid further occurrence.
As mentioned, our hotel is situated out of the city center but only 3km away, which takes only few minutes to reach. Moreover, we do provide complimentary daily shuttle bus to city center for the convenience of our guest.
Finally, a tour desk is located in our lobby in order to assist guest with any queries regarding sight seeing or tours. Map in better definition can as well be provided upon request.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed two nights at the Equatorial on the way to DaNang. Our preferred hotel accommodation these days are the Club Rooms, where we also stayed this time. Reception was very friendly, courteous and efficient. The rooms were on the 11th floor which gave us a great view across the city. Rooms were spacious, very clean and well appointed. The king size bed was very comfortable, giving us a good night's sleep. The hotel is situated a few km away from the city centre, but as we were staying only two nights and had a full day tour planned, it was of no concern to us. An unexpected bonus came on the last day, when we were offered a trip to the airport in the hotel limmo just as we prepared to order a taxi. I recommend this hotel about 20 minutes drive from the airport for a stopover in HCMC.