“Classy hotel in a great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Saigon Plaza

Sofitel Saigon Plaza
Ranked #16 of 426 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Cardiff, Wales
“Classy hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

An international hotel with more of a boutique hotel feel about it. It made such a change not to stay in beige surroundings! Great service, too, and convenient location. The air con wasn't 100% effective- i was never quite cool enough - but it was adequate.

Room Tip: I had a room at the end of the corridor and my wifi was a little weak, but ok.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
B-Courtois, General Manager at Sofitel Saigon Plaza, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thanks for having chosen Sofitel for your stay in Saigon and for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the feel of our newly renovated rooms, whose colour scheme does indeed make a difference.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the not to distant future.

Bertrand Courtois

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Bristol, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Having visited Sofitel Saigon before, we were persuaded to return and the hotel was all that we could have hoped for and more.

The hotel was very clean with an elegant spacious room that was renovated from our last visit exactly one year ago. There were a number of politicians staying at the hotel whilst we were there and I was concerned that we would not experience the same service as our previous stay. But this was not the case, on the contrary, we were made to feel as VIPS. Everyone was very friendly and the quality of service was at a very high level. However, Frederick, the hotel manager was exceedingly helpful and gave us advice on what to visit as well his recommendations on the hotel restaurant (Oliver) and great bars in town (Chill Bar!!).

Compliments to real class operations, we already look forward to coming back next year.

Room Tip: Take a high floor.
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thanks for having chosen Sofitel again for your stay in Saigon and for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed again staying with us and we do indeed look forward to welcoming you back next year.

With our thanks and best regards,

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Le Club membership level - Premium

To celebrate my wife’s 30th b’day; I stayed with total of 4 different Accor properties in 2 cities for approximately 9 nights.
Out of these 9 nights, last 3 nights were spent here with my friends (total of 4 couples).
And unfortunately these were the worst 3 nights’ of my total holiday period – I now regret staying @ Sofitel Saigon Plaza.

Pre Arrival Experience:
Rude and too pushy to charge you for everything.
My first email request informing about my wife’s 30th and requesting for a cake/pastry was immediately turned out to begin with and then partly agreed but I was rudely informed that I would be charged ! None of the 5* properties these days charge for a small cake for a special occasion.
And as a platinum member, I am supposed to be receiving a welcome gift anyway ! – not to mention that I didn’t receive any post my check-in.

First Impression of the Lobby:
OK @ best.
Was large but compared to other Sofitels that I have visited or stayed in had much better look and feel than that of Sofitel Saigon Plaza’s.
Must admit that it smelt great because of the constant supply of fresh Jasmine.

Check-In:
Had called earlier to inform my time of arrival – rooms were not ready yet. Took too long than usual.
No welcome drinks offered – instead were given 2 free drinks vouchers to be used in their lounge amongst 8 people !!!! – only because I was a platinum member and they expected me to use them w/o offering any to my friends although all the rooms were booked under my name (and pre-paid by myself).
After much hassle (20 mins+), they granted us 8 vouchers and made me feel that it was a nice gesture from their end !

Room:
Very ordinary. Very very ordinary in fact. Probably just slightly better than Novotel Std.
No great furniture/paintings etc in the room.
No separate bath tub – you have to climb the tub in order to have shower and due to it being open, the surrounding area always remain wet!
No iron in the room. Hairdryer was from 1950s.
Few scuff marks in the tub made me feel that it was old – where as I was told that rooms were refurbished recently !
Room felt small.

Breakfast/Food:
One of the biggest let down was their service.
Group of friends were declined the discount on our Advantage Plus card because we chose to sit TOGETHER ! (although separate bills).
Restaurant manager was probably the rudest and after much persistence he told me that he would ‘OFFER’ us discount only for 1 day if we decide to sit together.
Although they were OK to provide us discount had we all decided to sit on different tables !!!
Quality of food was OK but again nothing special (and it was repetitive as we had b’fast there twice and then declined on the 3rd day as they did not change the menu at all).
Cannot comment on lunch/dinner as didn’t have our other meals there.
Did order some room service though – food was ordinary but the service was excellent.

Gym/Spa/Pool/Lounge:
Did not use Gym but it looked OK.
Spa – very ordinary and didn’t feel like Sofitel’s std.
Pool – roof top pool. Were disappointed seeing it but once we were in the water, we loved it. Perfect water temp and great service around the pool area – service boys need to be congratulated.
Lounge – Better than rest of the hotel but I felt that the staff was too pushy in offering us the cheque (even before us requesting for it). They did not offer us nibbling when we were using our welcome drink vouchers (consumed local beers @ night time) but brought us some finger food when were there one afternoon drinking beers ! – only because they were not free?

Concierge:
Most disappointing team.
Too pushy and not helpful at all.
Trips that we organised through concierge were not of high stds and were expensive.
Guides were also too pushy in asking us to tip everywhere – know that it wasn’t much but I wouldn’t like to be told constantly that we need to tip everywhere. We would have done that anyway.

To sum up, I had one of the worst exp @ Sofitel Saigon Plaza and would not recommend anyone to stay there.

My suggestion to the manager – visit other Sofitel to understand the brand.

Will not stay here again !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
7 Thank Next_Trip_Soon
B-Courtois, General Manager at Sofitel Saigon Plaza, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Thank you for having taken the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

We are sorry to read that your stay with us was not up to your expectations. In view of your Platinum status we had one room available for your upon your early arrival, which you chose to give to your friend, who were celebrating their anniversary. As the hotel had experienced high occupancy the previous day we were not able to accomodate your request for early arrival.

As a holder of the Advantage Plus card you are familiar with the terms and conditions that apply for dining and provide that only one card is to be used for discount purposes whenever guests sit together.

Our email records show that we had actually asked your wife's date of birth so as for us to arrange for a small cake (up to 2 people) to be placed in the room on her birthday at no cost to you.

We thank you for pointing out that the guides provided by the tour agency were constantly asking for tips and we will refer this information to the agency.

We thank you once again for your comments and do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for a week to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary,we couldnt have been more happier with our choice. The hotel is perfectly located from the busier areas although only a very short taxi drive from the center of the city.
The staff were all very polite and helpful. We had a problem with opening our safe one morning,this was not only rectified very quickly but on our return to the hotel later there was a letter of apology for our inconveininece as well as a fresh bowl of fruit(very nice touch).
I would recommend this hotel to anyone,should I visit Ho chi minh again I will be booking this hotel.

Thanks to all the staff for a wonderful stay.

• 5 of 5 stars
We thank you for chosing Sofitel for your stay in Saigon and for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and the attentions extended to you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Beaconsfield, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed here for three nights and overall found it to be a good hotel. The reception area is very nice with a beautiful smell of fresh flowers. We were persuaded to upgrade to an executive room, which included free pre-dinner drinks and snacks in the executive lounge, plus a late check-out facility (which was good as we had a late flight) but we found the atmosphere in the lounge a little stark, although the staff were very friendly and gave us an excellent restaurant recommendation with directions to find it. Our room was fine - we quite liked the purple and black although it did make the room a little dark - and we also woke quite early due to it being quite noisy outside. We also had a few little niggles - our newspaper only arrived one morning and there was no wine in the mini bar. My husband used the gym but found it rather uncomfortable as it lacked air-conditioning. We found the breakfast a bit disappointing (this might be a little unfair as we had just stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel in Hong Kong where the breakfast is the best we've ever had) but there were a lot of people there on business who had obviously had to get up earlier than us and so it felt like they were running out of fruit, danishes etc. The fact that it is a popular business hotel also meant that one night in the bar we were the only people there, the next we were in the midst of a business cocktail party. On our final night we went to the Sheraton's rooftop bar, with fantastic views of the city, and this did beat the Sofitel's hands-down. However, the staff were really friendly and very helpful in organising a couple of trips out for us.

Would I stay here again - well probably not, not because there was anything really wrong with it but I would probably prefer to be a bit more central to the city.

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
B-Courtois, General Manager at Sofitel Saigon Plaza, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for having chosen Sofitel for your stay in Saigon and for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to read that you overall enjoyed your stay with us and have noted your comments on some points needing improvement. You may wish to know that our hotel runs a daily shuttle service to the very centre of town, bringing it to the hotel doorstep.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Excellent hotel. Club rooms great value. Service in the club outstanding. Complimentary alcohol and cocktails from 6 -8pm daily. Pool on 18th floor. Great view city. Delicious food. Would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for having chosen Sofitel for your stay in Saigon and for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the service extended at the Club floors.

We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I want to thank all the staff at this hotel who do such a good job.When i checked in i was told that i was being upgraded to a luxury room.The room was very comfortable.My only slight quibble being that theshower was only 5feet high.Unfortunately i had a stomach upset.The staff helped me find and then get to a clinic.The following day they were all asking how i was feeling and i was truly overwhelmed.I was not leaving the hotel till 4pm and i was allowed to keep my room till then at no further charge.The location was fine and the food was good.I doubt that i shall ever experience service as good as i received at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
B-Courtois, General Manager at Sofitel Saigon Plaza, responded to this review, April 1, 2013

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and the attention and care provided by our Ambassdors. We will gladly extend your comments to them.

We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.