“Excellent”
Review of Bahdja Restaurant - CLOSED

Bahdja Restaurant
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: First Algerian Restaurant in Ho Chi Minh city. Serving Algerian style Couscous, Tajines. Fresh mint tea, Espresso, Great wines, cold draught beer available. Unique decor, central location.
“Excellent”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Bahdja really offers everything you should expect from a north african restaurant (or of any restaurant you would go to spend a good time and eat well) : very good food, good price, warm and friendly service, honest advices, very instructive descriptions and explanations, good prices and an overall excellent value for money. Everything there is geniune, including the heart and the passion the owners of this little place displays.
Their food tastes really authentic (having Algerian roots I know what I am talking about). Don't go there for the view or expecting a fancy place. What's good about this place is not superficial.

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank bsenouci

• Vietnamese first
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“birthday dinner to remember”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Anna and Akhmed know about entertaining, hospitality and good food cooked with love. Bahdja was the best backdrop to my small dinner party. Service was excellent. Food was consistently delectable. Wine, well selected. The place was beautiful and tastefully decorated. And it is those small touches that keep me coming back.

HCMC
“Best couscous in town”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Great little place serving fresh, delicious and wholesome food. My favourite is the lamb couscous - lamb is nice and juicy and the couscous light and in just the right quantity, although I do like the tajines too. For starter I always take the beef bourek (kind of a beef spring roll) - hot and fresh from the kitchen, a good squeeze of lime takes this starter to a whole new level. If you don't know what to have just ask Anya (one of the owners) and she will guide you to the perfect dish.

Central location and free parking for motorbikes at the nearby parking garage make it really handy. Its open at lunch time so within walking distance from all offices near or on Nguyen Hue street.

1 Thank VVietnam
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“One of the most enjoyable dining experiences I have had in a long time”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I rarely post on tripadvisor so soon after dining at a restaurant, but this place deserves a great deal of praise for the experience my wife and I had there. I think the best place to start is to mention the service. From start to finish, the service was absolutely spot on. The owners were very engaging and interactive. Being relatively unfamiliar with Algerian food, we were both incredibly happy by the descriptions and suggestions offered by them. What really made me happy was how well they provided a few vegetarian options for me considering I wasn't sure what to expect.

As for the food, it was absolutely pitch perfect. We started with an absolutely delightful tomato and capsicum salad. The complimentary bread and dips were unreal. One was a bit spicy, which I loved, and the other was a bit more subdued. They are a great balance. As for the mains, my wife had a hard time coming up with the proper words to describe how much she enjoyed her beef tanjine. My dish was a a stew of vegetables topped with an egg and baked. I can honestly say it's one of the finest dishes I have ever had from that region of food. We shared a dessert (split the two baked goods). The crust was a little thick on one, but the Algerian take on baklava (almonds instead of pistachio) was like a revelation to me.

Overall, I cannot recommend this place enough, which is incredibly rare for me. I have strong opinions about food, and this place absolutely blew my expectations away. Even the mint tea stood out as beautifully done. And the overall cost was incredibly affordable considering we shared an appetizer, got a carafe of wine, a pot of tea, two mains, and two pastries. I always look forward to trying something new, and I'm glad we had this experience. You can tell the food was done with a lot of thought and love for what they do. It's been a long time since I've been this happy with a dining experience, and I can't wait to go back. Mark my words; it will be soon.

2 Thank JoeySmithRocks
Hong Kong, China
“Delicious North African cuisine and superb service.”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

In my opinion, the best service I've experienced in a restaurant after 10 years of living in Vietnam. Delicious Algerian/Moroccan cuisine at reasonable prices. This family run operation is operated by Ahmed and his wife Anna. They are the perfect hosts and really know how to make their guests feel right at home. Anna will always make a great recommendation from the menu or specials. I have been there twice in the past two weeks and am returning tonite to introduce Bahdja to my wife and friends. Highly recommended.

1 Thank gfreed61