“Staff needs better training on recommendations”
Review of El Gato Negro - CLOSED

El Gato Negro
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Delivery
Description: Vietnam's first and only Burrito shop! Huge portions, fresh, full of flavor and tons of options. Real Californian style Mexican food.
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Simple, nice place. Good food. The one grudge I have is that the I am not sure that the staff members understand the nuances of what they are recommending. I was there recently and asked for my burrito with some customizations. They suggested an alternative...and while my original choice was a possibly spicy option, the alternate recommended ended up having a chinese flavor and a sweetish tinge. And that didn't leave me completely satisfied.

Geoffrey D, Owner at El Gato Negro, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Hi,
Yes I think they offered you the Hong Kong burrito or Korean burrito and it,s for the serious adventurous burrito people. I will talk to them and explain the best way to recommend my food to help new customers make the best choices. Thank you for your help.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Maiden voyage to El Gato Negro tonight. Two fish tacos, refried beans, rice, Corona. Fish tacos were sublime. Fish was cooked to perfection, the tortillas (imported) were great, love corn tortillas. I'm going to go with home made refried beans which were just perfect, and rice. Imported hots from Mexico.
I have heard complaints that this place is expensive. My little feast tonight was a whopping $8.33 us (roughly). Anyone here thinks that's expensive for that meal and a Mexican brew needs to stick with the local Banh Mi street stand. A touch over 8 for all that goodness? In the US you would barely get the beer for that. Well done Senor Deetz. We finally have a little bit of local taco (burrito) stand in Saigon! Too good. If you enjoy Mexican you have to give them a shot. If you have never had good Mexican, go here and enjoy.

Hi Mainereale,
Thanks for your support and Its always nice to see people who understand how hard it is to make this food 6000 miles from where it comes from. It a daily challenge that some people don’t understand to make this food as best I can. You obviously know your Mexican food and the limitation we have in Vietnam. Again Thanks so much for your kind words and support. Yes I agree with the prices and If I could I would sell them cheaper but with most items imported I have to pay at least 100% more than you would in the US for these things. Imagine $5.00 for 12 corn tortillas and $15.00 for a can of Tomatillos as I pay here, I could be like all the other places and not use them as well as American cheese and flour tortillas in my tacos or nachos as everyone else does here but then again why?. Small things most people don’t think about when living in Vietnam

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I am from California and I thought moving to Vietnam meant I would have to give up having good Mexican food. I was wrong, because this place has fantastic Mexican food! It's a real burrito shop, with many different options. The portions are huge and reasonably priced. I usually get a large burrito and eat it for 3 meals. That knocks out my craving for Mexican food for a while. My favorite classic burrito is the chipotle chicken. And my very favorite specialty burrito is the El Bombay, SUPER GOOD! The nachos, crispy tacos and quesadillas are great to, oh heck everything is great, plus the owner is really nice if anything is ever wrong he always makes it up to you. Just go you won't regret it :) Oh you can also order online and get 10% off on DeliverVN

So happy to have this place in town, hope they keep it going.

1  Thank Janice k
Reviewed January 6, 2013

El Gato Nergo is a great place to find Mexican food that tastes like Mexican.

We really needed a Mexican fix and this place delivered. The burritos were huge! We could only eat one between us. Food was really nice, good mix of chilly and other flavours, a side of a cooler salsa on the side would have been nice.

No real atmosphere here but great food.

1 burrito cost about 120,000 VND

1  Thank Oren F
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We use this restaurant as on online delivery for eating at home (we order through www.eatvn.com). It normally takes around 45mins-1hour for delivery from D1 to D2 so if you are hungry then don't expect your food quickly. Also they charge VND20,000 for delivery to District 2 - not something that all restaurants in D1 do. The shredded beef burrito is good. The Golden State burrito is not as large as the regular burritos but it is the same price so if you are super hungry and want a large burrito then don't order this one - the Canadian beef in the Golden State burrito was really chewy both times I have ordered it. The seasoned chips in the Golden State burrito are a yummy change to rice/beans. The pork burrito was o.k. but the cubes of pork were chewy. Overall the flavours in the burritos are great, also the free salsa is yummy and it is so good that it is free - it really adds good flavour to the burritos. We find it expensive as a dinner option but do enjoy eating the burritos and would order again. The burritos are large so if you are not too hungry then eat half for dinner and half for lunch the next day (although burritos are hard to re-heat well) - this is the only way for it to be a cost-effective dinner option compared with all the other types of dine-in cuisines we have tried over a 1.5year period in Saigon.

1  Thank ExpatAnnette

Hi Netty2010,
Sorry for the delay in my response I just had a baby boy in December :-)
Yes I agree with the prices and if I could I would sell them cheaper but with most items imported I have to pay at least 100% more than you would in the US for these things. Imagine $5.00 for 12 corn tortillas and $15.00 for a can of Tomatillos. $3.00 a kilo for beans, $13.50 a kilo for real cheddar cheese, $6.00 for a small can of chipotle chili, chicken is $6.00 a kilo etc… Things here such as food, rent and power are far higher in price than back in California even. Yes staff is cheaper but you need 2 to 3 staff here that do the work of 1 in the US. I do try and give you the best quality and the most authentic food I can give where we live. For the delivery fee this was the only way I could solve the problem with the local delivery staff always trying to trick my customers. I really did not want to charge delivery but at least 100% goes to the staff who bring the food to you, Small things most people don’t think about when living in Vietnam. This all said there is another delivery company that offers you a 10% discount on the restaurants that list there. It is delivervn.com. Good luck and I will try to find better sources as well as offer other specials to try and offset these prices when I can.
Thank you for your business it means allot!

Feel free to contact me if any other questions. Blackcatsaigon@yahoo.com