“Such wonderful staff and delicious food!”
Review of Monsoon Restaurant & Bar Saigon - CLOSED

Monsoon Restaurant & Bar Saigon
Cuisines: Burmese, Thai, Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: "TUI THAI Eatery" is former Monsoon Restaurant and Bar Saigon with one of the same founders. Managed by Thai & Vietnamese-French management team and Thai Chef. Authentic Thai Cuisine from secret home recipes from Bangkok in a relax and fun atmosphere. Outdoor dining Thai BBQ available. Thai Cooking class starts in May 2016. For tour operators, we can provide Vietnamese and Thai Set Menu with special prices. A real local taste of Thai in Saigon!
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Such wonderful staff and delicious food!”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Firstly, we found this place really easy to find!

It's a lovely building, beautifully decorated with a wide range of Asian food. We had a selection from different counties, and it was all delicious!

The staff are really wonderful - super attentive and incredibly friendly! Thank you!

Visited June 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Place!”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The place have great food, also offer a great options for vegetarians, nice and helpful service, and nice atmosphere - for friends, family and couples.
They don't have outdoor seating for eating, only for a smoke or get some air.
The location is a little bit far from all the scene of Saigon so taxi is needed.

• Visited June 2013
Marina del Rey, California
“Best Tour Lunch!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I was on a tour of the city and my guide brought me here for lunch. I am used to sub-par tour-sponsored meals, but I was pleasantly surprised by the attractive and flavorful offerings here.

It was also a very pretty restaurant which had a comfortable ambiance. I cannot speak to the prices as my meal was included in my tour, but I would have paid my own money to eat here, so hopefully that's an indication

I would not hesitate to suggest this restaurant to any fellow travelers.

• Visited September 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Great atmosphere, but food was just average”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I'm not sure what the hype is about.

My friend and I decided to "splurge" for the FIRST time on food in our 2 week (to date) trip of Southeast Asia. We ordered the tour of vietnam appetizer package which included 4 types of appetizers (fresh spring rolls, fried spring rolls, some rice thing, and some mixed vegetable bite). Besides the fresh spring rolls (which were one of the blandest spring rolls I've had during my entire SE trip), the other three ranged from OK to pretty good. For the main course, my friend ordered the pork curry and I ordered the butter fish curry. This was pretty disappointing. First, the texture and taste was more like frozen cod fish. Second, the curry was more like a sauce than a curry. Even through my disappointment, I decided I might as well go all the way and ordered dessert. I got the fried banana with vanilla ice cream. This was pretty good. I also ordered a drink which was way overpriced....i could have gotten the same exact thing for 1/3 the price somewhere else.

Overall, my friend and I spent about 800,00 VND or $20/person on this meal. Compared to the $5-6/person or so we spent on other budget touristy restaurants, this was definitely bad value. Yes, the food tasted slightly better, but not 4x better. Average food and bad value. I think the great atmosphere and decor of the restaurant (with strong A/C) helped to improve the overall restaurant experience rating to AVERAGE.

• Visited May 2013
Perth, Australia
“Average pan South-East Asian food in a lovely setting”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

After reading so many wonderful reviews I was quite excited to try the restaurant. It is near the backpacker district but does not reflect a Bui Vien type atmosphere. The Asian decor is simple, clean and modern. We were seated next to a window overlooking the lawn with bar lounges.

The menu is extensive with food from Burma/Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. We tried mohinga (pretty tasty but have nothing to compare it to), butter fish curry (tasty), beef curry (big chunks of beef with sauce), pea fritters (a little dry) and flowers with garlic (can get this at a lot of Vietnamese restaurants). Overall the food was of a fine standard but nothing really stood out for the prices we paid (all dishes we ordered were between 100k - 200k VND). We ordered four drinks and rice, as well as dessert and all up it cost about 1.5mliion VND. It is a little expensive for what we received and we probably wouldn't go back.

Service on the whole was friendly and efficient. However, a few dishes/drinks we ordered were unavailable. We would order them and then were told about 15 mins later that they were unavailable so I'm not sure why this took them so long to relay back to us. The first few times were not a problem but after the third time I thought it was a bit ridiculous.

• Visited May 2013