“A rare find amidst the hustle and bustle of Ho Chi Minh City.”
Review of Ono Saigon Hotel

Ono Saigon Hotel
Ranked #27 of 854 Ho Chi Minh City B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“A rare find amidst the hustle and bustle of Ho Chi Minh City.”
Reviewed February 11, 2012

How i got to know about Ono Saigon was almost by accident. I was on Agoda shortlisting hotels to stay in for a short trip to Vietnam. I had by then shortlisted a few hotels that were in the range of about USD$40 a night. It was those generic, hotels that looked pretty much like any other hotel.

Being quite a picky traveller i viewed only those that were rated highly on Agoda. When curiosity took over the better of me and i wondered how did the worst hotels in Saigon looked like. So i jumped to the very end of the list and just below those hotels which were given ratings of 1 star, I found hotels that were YET to be reviewed.

Scrolling through i saw Ono Saigon - The rooms looked really modern, chic, comfortable and decent. Which immediately caught my attention and the price - half of what i was actually going to pay for! The pictures do not lie, the rooms look exactly how they look like in the picture.

I immediately made my choice, discarded all my previous short-listed hotels and literally took a leap of faith by booking the hotel, trusting only and solely only the few pictures of the hotel on Agoda.

It was a choice i did not regret making.

Situated just off a small alleyway near the main bustle of HCMC, it may be a challenge to find the Hotel at first, but once you do find it, you will appreciate it for its quiet surroundings, away from the noise and traffic. There are also a few small trolley stalls that serve great smoothies and food for those late night hunger-pangs, and according to my local companion, a stall that serves great hotpot.

The Hotel is a family business and its brand new, facilities are simple but sufficient. My partner and I were impressed by the room, considering the amount i paid for it, and the bed were big and comfortable. I really loved the design and pragmatism of my standard room. It had a Japanese feel to it and that was what really caught my eye. The room was spacious and did not feel cramped at all. Shower water was hot and the Flat-screen TV had ample cable channels to keep me and my partner entertained through the night.

All in all, the hotel felt more like a 3-4 star hotel than what the 1 star indicates.

I've been to HCM a few times and have stayed at a few good hotels, but i would choose Ono again, not just because of the room, or location but the staff as well.

The owner, Rose was kind enough to welcome me online even before i flew to Vietnam through social media (talk about being tech savvy!) and when i arrived at the Hotel, gave me a sincere phone call to warmly welcome me to the property - This was definitely a first for me. Suddenly, the Hotel didn't feel like a hotel anymore, i felt welcomed and it gave me a nice warm feeling. :)

Her assistant was kind as well to see to the needs of me and my partner at night, even if it meant waking him up at 5am for a hair-dryer.

When I missed my flight the next day evening, i gave Rose a call and the hotel was even kind enough to return me my room, even though i had already checked out.

All in all, a real good choice to stay in when in Saigon, for the price, the value cannot be beaten anywhere else. Why settle for shabby, dodgy hotels around the same pricae bracket when you can stay at a place that is comfortable, clean and above all - providing excellent value and service.

I'm glad i made that little venture on Agoda, else I will not have found such a rare gem of a hotel in HCMC.

Room Tip: The standard room is very well designed. I loved the Japanese feel of the room. Bed was sturdy and m...