“Fantastic spot for excellent jazz”

Sax N Art Jazz Club
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This place has excellent music. It is small and intimate and the musicians are world class. People are griping about the prices, but put in context, the costs are small. FOUR DOLLARS for a cover charge!!! go see jazz in Chicago or NY and see what you pay. The music is excellent. If you just want a place to drink cheap beer, go somewhere else. If you want to hear really excellent jazz, head over the Sax N Art Jazz Club.

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"saigon"
in 49 reviews

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We are jazz lovers so went along to experience some local jazz culture and we weren't disappointed. We made into a night and went after dinner and night market visit so was a lovely way over a few cocktails to finish our last night in Saigon.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I was humbled by the quality and 'tight' work by the band. Coming from Australia, where I have played piano in bands for 45 years, I didn't expect anything other than traditional music. My apologies. There can be nothing more genuine than the owner/composer lead the show, and give his guests a sparkling performance. Up there with the best. I'll be back.
Kind regards,

Barrie Price

1  Thank Barrie P
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I'm not sure why this place is getting such amazing reviews. I won't complain about the cover charge or the price of the drinks ($$$), but I was totally disappointed with the music. The band looks tired, and there was obviously poor communication on stage between the musicians. We heard basic covers of jazz songs that I'd expect to hear in a hotel lobby. The female singer could barely pronounce English (not to be critical, but come on). We left after 1 set. Better options elsewhere in HCMC.

1  Thank asiatravelbugger1234
See more reviews
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I live in Manila, Philippines, and the only place which was close to Sax N’ Art was Richard Merk’s Bar in Greenbelt which he unfortunately had to close a few years ago. So whenever I’m in Saigon I go to Sax N’ Art to listen to excellent music. Not only is TMT a truly outstanding musician but all the other guys he invites to play making every evening a truly diverse live music adventure. I discovered this place many years ago (in 2005) and I was never disappointed. Okay, you have to pay a small cover charge – but so what? And TMT’s charming wife Linh makes sure that your cocktails are really tasty. Last night was very special for me. TMT and band performed some of his latest songs which I had not heard before (in one of them he plays many different kind of flutes – wow!) and on my request he played Take Five – but in such an innovative way that I thought I have never heard this song. Needless to say that he has an excellent drummer. But the biggest surprise was the last song when TMT himself sang “I can’t stop loving you”. I never heard him singing in all those years and hope now that he will sing more often!

2  Thank rolofromaustria