“...exploring Vietnam January 2013”

Sax N Art Jazz Club
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This club really has an elegant jazz atmosphere and its trumpet and sax tunes are very seductive.
The classic-modern jazz meets both western and Vietnamese rhythms and it's very nice to explore them all.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I can't believe people are surprised by a cover charge, especially one as low as this. Four dollars (80,000 VND) for a cover is NOT expensive, especially with no minimum drink levy. The taxes and city charges add 15%, but three of us watched some terrific music for less than $35 USD, AND from what I hear about American bar tabs, the $35 would be considered cheap for one, no less than for three guests. Hell, I paid Over $100 for two people (4 beers) at Blues Alley in DC in 1998, and the performer was terrible and you could not see the stage because of all the support columns. If you want super cheap music, stay home and turn on the radio.

Sax n Art is a terrific club. Make a reservation and you will sit right in front of the band. Be forewarned that most adult Vietnamese are hearing-impaired because their parents dragged them to Karaoke and caused varying degrees of hearing loss, so the music is very loud. I carry (and use) earplugs, even tho I am deaf in one ear and getting here in my other ear.

That aside, the owner/performer is a fabulous sax player, and often plays 3 or 4 Viet wind instruments, sings a bit, and does respectable Scat! His name is Tran Manh Tuan and his jazz arrangements of traditional Vietnamese music are creative and wonderfully entertaining. He performs almost every night, and the oft changing sidemen are at times OK, but usually terrific. Visiting artists often sit in, and the jamming is hot and foot-stomping great.

If you can afford about ten or fifteen bucks American for a night of great music, this is the place to spend it.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Avoid at all costs. Poor service and hidden costs really bring this place down. A hidden service charge, expensive drinks and poor service can only equally a poorly managed night club. The night went like this: no escort to seats, no waiter for drinks, walked to bar and ordered our drinks, waived down a waiter for an invoice, very expensive drinks, 240,000vnd in cover charge for three people, total bill 650,000vnd for less than 30 minutes of entertainment.

Don't question the drinks or service charge because the staff gets angry and about 4 to 5 show up at your table. I am convinced this is not the first time the staff has had such issues.

2  Thank Huddo_Travels
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Watch out for this club. The atmosphere was ok and my family and I decided to have a drink on the way home from an extrodinary dinner at "Shri". What a let down when we paid the bill. The drinks were triple the average (We accepted this for the entertainment) but not the cover charge 80,000dong each. Not even one the most expensive bars in Saigaon (The Rex) charges this. What made it enfuriating is that no-one tells you about it as it is hidden in the menu.

I have no problem of business making a profit but in typical Vietnamese style they try and rip you off at every chance they get.

Out of principal I urge any tourist to take a huge detour from this place and find something that is more open in their pricing.

We walked out not paying the cover charge.

1  Thank Richard H
Reviewed January 13, 2013

AVOID! The Jazz was fine, until presented with the bill! The cover charge and service added another 30% to our bill! Whilst still not expensive, we were left with a very sour taste in our mouth!

1  Thank Hodgo87