“Great night out of live jazz & fun”

Sax N Art Jazz Club
Ho Chi Minh City
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great night out of live jazz & fun”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I recommend going to listen to "The Saigon Trio" playing every night in the Sheraton lobby bar from 8pm until 10pm and then going on to the "Jazz Sax n' Art Club" a short stroll away on Le Loi Street as it stays open until midnight. Who cares about a tiny cover charge when the music is excellent & you can buy any one of the 10 or so professionally mastered jazz cd's made by the owner Tuan for only $10?! Coctails are so cheap compared to Western standards & there's often guest singers & musicians from overseas to mix it up.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Kerry P

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Mixed, hidden cover charge and service added”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Had high hopes but was disappointed. Thery do not make it clear that there is a 80,000 dong per person cover charge before you order drinks. The drinks are pretty expensive and the tonic water was flat. We only stayed for one drink as we were unlucky with the music which was not great and still got stung for an automatic 10% service charge ontop of the cover charge.

Visited November 2012
Swanage, Dorset
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Loved this place”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This was a lovely contrast to the rest of our 2 weeks travelling through Vietnam. We were there with a group and had no trouble spotting the 80,000 dong cover charge on the menu (approx £2.30 I believe). But of course it should be pointed out before you order your drinks or highlighted more on the menu. But the drinks were excellent, the music and atmosphere superb and I loved every minute of it. Well worth an additional £2.30.

Visited October 2012
HCMC
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Scam: Beware of 80k per pax cover charge and credit card charge”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

SCAM! Beware of additional charges that they do not inform beforehand:
1) VND 80k per person cover charge - nothing included
2) 2.5% credit card charge for payments with credit cards

They do not inform you beforehand!

Three of us went to have a nice evening of music and drinks at around 1030pm on a Wednesday night 17/10. The music wasn't too bad but I would not categorize as your typical Jazz. I was told by my friend that the saxophonist was actually the owner of the place (he had CD's of his performances to be sold at the back). It wasn't very crowded and the audience were quite laid back.

When we decided to leave at around 1130pm, we were hit by a cover charge of VND 80k per person. This amount is extortionate (USD 4) for Vietnam standards whereby the cover charge concept is non-existant. Also, the extortionate portion is that the staff did not bother to inform us about the cover charge when we walked in - it was written in the menu as small print on the bottom. This is a SCAM practice.

Then the second SCAM was when I paid using my credit card, they imposed a 2.5% of credit card charge on the total amount. Again, I was not informed of this additional charge when I presented my card. When I was presented with my credit card bill to sign, I thought something was amiss with the total. However, it was only when I asked for a copy of the receipt that I found something was amiss as they presented me with a receipt that stated the total amount charged and not the original receipt. I went back to the counter to ask about the discrepancy but was told the lame 2.5% credit card charge.

In my 6 months in Saigon, I was only charged the 2.5% credit card charge in two other places out of the hundreds I've been to and everytime, I was informed beforehand. This is a SCAM practice.

Conclusion: will not go again and will not recommend

Visited October 2012
HCMC
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Bad decision!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Last Saturday, while pub-hopping we visited Jazz Club. I was very disappointed and would not recommend it to anyone except if you are dying to listen to Jazz (Vietnam style).

Firstly, within 10 minutes of our reaching, the lady singing the music left. This is too early considering that it was 10.00 pm on a Saturday night.

Secondly, there is a COVER CHARGE not covering anything. It is an ENTRY CHARGE. There is a charge of VND 80,000 per person. This is nicely disguised as it is part of the menu and nobody informs you about it. As we knew what we are going to order, we ordered. As the music was not appealing, we decided to leave and were SHOCKED to see the bill. We paid VND 450,000 (approx.) for 2 drinks. Now that is expensive even if you convert it into $ (USD 22).

Thirdly, after paying the bill, i wrote a feedback and asked the tartly looking hostess to pass my message to the owner of the restaurant, she responded saying that she is the one handling complaints and it is our fault for not going through the menu (page-by-page).

To sum it up, it was disappointing.

Visited September 2012