“Bland food, restaurant too warm”
Review of Hog's Breath Cafe

Hog's Breath Cafe
Ranked #1,344 of 3,578 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The best Western cuisines and Australian Hospitality, with traditional Vietnamese dishes and the Best Australian Steak in town. Wonderful sports from all around the world and a comprehensive wine and spirits list
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Arrived Saturday night at 7pm. Had been 36C during the day and still warm outside, so looking forward to being inside.

Took a table and waited for my friend, looking at the menu. You can get the menu online if you google. Became aware that I wasn't really cooing down. Not sure if the aircon was actually off, but the main doors were wide open and it was warm. Friend turned up and ordered a standard beer and fish dish. I ordered the boss hog (a double burger), well done and cheapest beer option also.

Service was prompt, friendly and efficient. My friend described his fish as mediocre. I would say my burger was OK and a good size, but hardly "well done". (On the bill "well done" was remarked, so they did get the message.) The salad was uninteresting and relatively small as was the portion of curly fries. A pot of relish would have helped things along, but as it was I made do with the bottle of ketchup. (I think some red stuff was smeared onto the burgers, I can't remember now.) The cheese on the burger seemed to be a simple square of that processed stuff. Barely noticeable.

As we finished the beer, immediately a trainee appeared inviting us have another one. We declined having already decided to continue elsewhere. Moments later, a second member of staff asked us again. And then a third one, all in the space of about 3 minutes. This wasn't pressure selling - just it was a quiet night, they didn't have much to do and clearly individuals weren't allocated to take care of particular tables.

We asked for the bill and as is the annoyance that sometimes happens in Saigon 10% is added to the bill for VAT. Plenty of places have VAT inclusive pricing, but not Hog's Breath.

Just after we paid, we felt a slight wave of cooler air - seems the aircon had been turned up but it was too little and too late.

I've been visiting/living in Saigon since 1993 and this seems like a typical of example of what happens when a foreigner/foreign company moves in but then doesn't properly keep watch. Clearly alot of effort has been expended setting this place up and making it look nice. But without close management, standards slip. Staff milling around aimlessly (but friendly and mean well), aircon turned down (save money? local staff decide they like it warmer?) and portion size becomes localised.

I will return - you can quickly run out of places to go to if you are so unforgiving. But from my first experience it doesn't bode well. Price would have been OK if they got the aircon/service/portion size right.

3  Thank Jiminsaigon

Reviewed August 15, 2012

the food was tres excellent, the staff were also especially friendly and attentive to my brother and I,

1  Thank Enda D
Reviewed August 2, 2012

The food was very tasty and the cocktails yummy. Good visit if you want to get away from Vietnam for a bit.

1  Thank kvg81
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Just returned from spending 2 weeks in HCM. I had eaten at Hog's Breath on my last visit in May so thought I would try it again. Enjoyed it so much, I ate there 4 times over this trip. Atmosphere is relaxed and service is EXCELLENT. Interior is sports bar chic but clean, bright and easy site lines to the multiple TV monitors. The patio reminds me of some spots in SoCal (laid back, large umbrellas, nice breeze, intimate but still in the middle of activity). My first 3 visits had typical bar fare (cheeseburger, wings, calamari, fries, etc.) but on last visit I tried the lamb shank and was blown away. Meat was so tender it fell off the bone. Carots and green beans were crisp and not over cooked. Mashed potatos were creamy smooth with a hint of butter & mint, and onion gravy was perfect accompaniment. Only negative about the meal was had the stuffed jalapeno peppers ("Poppers") as a starter. They were over cooked and used a chedder cheese filling instead of havarti or provolone. Breading was a little heavy as well but as disappointing as they may have been, the Main more than made up in taste, texture and quality. I also must compliment the waitstaff for not on a single visit have I had to wave down a server (as anyone that has visited HCM will testify is the norm). They have always been attentive to when my glass was 3/4 empty, checked to see if I wanted more. When my main had been served they came back after 5 minutes to check to see if it met my expectations then all dishes and silver were removed promptly after I had finished. It was the same whether I was alone (2 x) or dining with friends/co-workers (2x). On a final note, I have read some reviews complaining of price. I strongly disagree. I found their prices to be very reasonable considering the quality of the food and service that was provided. I am planning to be back in HCM in August and look forward to trying one their steaks while watching some NFL action.

2  Thank CalebTumon
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We mainly visit Hogs Breath to watch sports; tennis. Overall we enjoy it here, service is nice and fast, it is never too packed.

Prices are too high though when you compare to quality - especially when it comes to meat. Beverages etc are ok priced. But you get a bit dissapointed when you pay 25-30 dollars for a steak in HCMC and receive the quality offered here.

1  Thank Martinwt