“Do not miss this place when in Saigon” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Hue, Vietnam
“Do not miss this place when in Saigon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have eaten at about 50 different stalls and restaurants, and this one in particular stands out amongst the rest.
I loved the pork stomach and caramelised fish.
One of the best places we have eaten at in Saigon and we would definitely eat here again!

Visited December 2012

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“A wonderful place for you to satisfy your stomach at lunch !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I live here in Saigon and have been to Dong Hoa Xuan restaurant for many times. Everytime i comes there, i always feel very very satisfy with the food. My suggestion for you is Grilled pork rib; Caramal Fish (Cá Kho Tộ) but it quite spicy so be careful if u dont like chili; Sour Soup with Bông Lau Fish; and Pork Stomach( crunchy and very tasty). A good place for you to go on your own or with your friends or family.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Đình Đức N
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Great Authentic Vietnamese Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This little restaurant was recommended to me by a friend here and WOW!! No matter what I've had it's been some of the best food I've had in Vietnam. Every time I come this way now (by bus, when alone; by motorbike when I can get a Vietnamese friend to give me a ride) I try to time my travel so it includes a stop here for breakfast or lunch. NOT a tourist restaurant, but for the local neighborhood crowd. Well worth whatever effort it takes to get here. Just pick and choose and ENJOY!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Rick C
Washington DC
“Outstanding food in an average neighborhood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My in-laws family live near Cho Ba Chieu, the market only a short distance from this restaurant. So when I saw a review elsewhere, I knew the wife and I needed to try it. We were not disappointed. They have perhaps the best carmel fish (ca kho to) either of us have ever had, and she grew up in Saigon and spent time in Hanoi as well. The other dishes we had were equally good. Service was great, and although this isn't a white tablecloth place this is a very comfortable neighborhood restaurant that puts out some really fantastic food.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank mojomarc
Boulder, Colorado, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best way to spend an afternoon.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

On your first full day in Saigon, make the trip (easy by taxi) to this restaurant frequented almost exclusively by locals. Hai, the owner, is running around all day and producing some of the most honest, flavorful food I've had.

There are fresh bananas on the table, and a local person nearby told me this restaurant is well known because they make almost all their food from scratch everyday; this is no small feat! Come early to get the best offerings, because when they're out, they're out.

The fish cooking in clay pots with a caramelized sauce is clearly memorable, but just order a variety. Bring a large group in order to try more. The best thing I had was a bite of egg, pork and mushroom sausage that tasted so unique, especially when dipped into the accompanying chili sauce.

Also, the frog was fantasitic, rich and savory. This place is a MUST go in Saigon.

• Visited September 2012