“NO AIR CONDITIONING, TERRIBLE SERVICE, DIRTY SHEETS”

Saigon Backpackers Hostel @ Pham Ngu Lao
“NO AIR CONDITIONING, TERRIBLE SERVICE, DIRTY SHEETS”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Where to start with this hostel! As we checked in the staff were incredibly rude to us as they threw a set of period stained sheets at us. When I noticed the stain I was annoyed but I didn't make a fuss because I could just changed my sheets. However, when I asked to change the sheets they laughed at me and didn't understand why I wanted to change them. Furthermore, the aircon did not work. They promised to fix it that night whilst we went to eat but when we got back it still wasnt fixed. When I complained they said it would be fixed by 9AM. It wasn't! In the morning they gave us soggy bread with stail butter and jam. A person next to me had the noodles which looked like whale vomit. I do not recommend thí place to anyone. I would rather sleep on the street than this hostel

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Markgoodstadt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My husband and I moved to this hostel after leaving another one because of bad service. Its quite convenient because its located right on the main street unlike the one we came from which was in a narrow alley. Another nice feature is that it has a travel agency right in its lobby so it was easy for us to book our Cu Chi tunnel tour as well as our sleeper bus ticket to Siem Reap.

The place is clean and decent and staff are friendly. Prices are cheap with free breakfast (bread/scrambled egg), free coffee and tea all day.

Main thing it really has going for it is location since its near money changers, inexpensive restos, souvenir shops, 24hr convenience stores, all the stuff a typical backpacker needs.

I would go back here in my next visit to Saigon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Staff is absolutely terrible. From the moment we stepped in we received a "what do you want?" And we weren't allowed to check in until 2pm (already a late hour for global standards), it was 1:30pm. Wifi worked for around half and hour and then stopped working, she wouldn't help me at all saying it was my fault because it was working fine. When I got back at 8pm I asked her again (quite afraid of her and her "I hate life" face), she wouldn't help me but to prove me wrong she asked her co-worker who confirmed it wasn't working, she disconnected the router and connected it again and you'd be surprised to see how it is working. During this whole time she hasn't ceased to be extremely mean (she turned a little bit nicer when we told her we could stay more than one night if we liked it). NO WIFI IN ROOMS (stated otherwise) and stops working every now and then.

When we were going to pay, she told us the exchange rate was 22,000vnd per dollar, more than 5% higher than anywhere else!! I don't know if she's keeping some money for herself or what is going on but someone should check that out because in the three weeks we have travelled Vietnam (from Hanoi on south) we have never had a rate higher than 21,000vnd. She's literally robbing us, but we needed our passports so there was nothing we could do.

Apart from the worst staff and service I've ever encountered the rooms are good (5 floor building-no lift) and common area is ok, two computers and a tv at your disposal.

Overall, if you can bare the torture of discussing and having to stand an awful face an attitude for everything do come here, otherwise you can find something better.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Juan Pablo E
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Breakfast and free coffee/tea all day, friendly staff and super clean! Kitchen ladies don't speak english but always so helpful and smiley! Reception area is small but cozy and perfect to meet many other young backpackers! Free movies available also. I Would have stayed here longer but will come back!

• Stayed March 2013
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed with my husband, room quite nice, but not exactly same as we seen on internet. The access from guest house to main street is near, but we had to walk through a traditional market that smell is quite disturbing..
My husband loved the breakfast and the kitchen, because it's homie, but not really works for me. And the staff very nice and helpful. But i think there is still alots of guesthouse better than this with same price..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here feb 2012, couldn't find any fault with the room although the dining area is a bit small but who will care with so many street food in Saigon! room was extremely clean and beds are big!
I recommended to many other travelers and I'd came back to this hostel 3 days ago with my 2 travel mate. I was disappointed with the cleanliness of the room as there were rubbish and towel everywhere that left by other travelers. I feed back to the receptionist and she was happy that I'd told her about it. she apologies and ensure that she will feedback to the management and do something about it.
overall this hostel is still value for money. staff whom speak English are helpful. breakfast could be better.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank BettyTio
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The hostel is in the center of the city, next to a beautiful and folkloric market. Good showers and materasses (and i really needed that!!) and good people, very open, patients and gentle, they helped me out when I had trouble. It was a pleasure to be there! I have not enough words to thank you: Thank's!

• Stayed August 2013