“Great value, nice place”

Saigon Backpackers Hostel @ Pham Ngu Lao
Limerick, Ireland
“Great value, nice place”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights and were happy with it. It is located in a quiet alley but is near to a lovely food market and to lots of travel agents and busy bars and nightclubs. The rooms are basic, clean and are good value for those on a budget, there are nicer hostels on the same street though. We found the staff to be pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

This hostel was overall pretty good, the rooms were clean with plenty of space, good wifi and good breaky. The only problem we had was with the staff! we needed to get laundry done and were leaving the next day, so were told if it was in by 12 (midday) then it would be back by 8pm that night. We brought our laundry down by 11.30 and were then told that it wouldn't be back until 8pm the following day, obviously this was no good as we'd e gone by then. The other issue we had was with booking a taxi to the airport; we asked the night before for a taxi at 7am and were told it wasn't a problem. The following morning upon check out, we got blank looks when we asked if the taxi was coming. The receptionist then proceeded to change us for the taxi and call... Only to find that their normal driver was busy so we were told to go to the street and find our own. This proved to be no problem fortunately. I'd also advise to be careful about what they charge you, we would have paid 210000 VD for the hostel to arrange the taxi, and we only ended up paying 160000VD by metered taxi.

Good hostel, just don't rely on the staff!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank daisymadeleine
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Basic accomodation but good value for the price. We stayed in a six-person share dorm with an attached bathroom. Staff are very friendly and breakfast is provided daily. Hostel is very close to the heart of the backpackers district and some good cafes/restaurants are only a short walk away. Would stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dehradun
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I reached Ho Chi Min City earlier than planned and the hostel I had booked was full. So they referred me to this hostel. The reception girl lugged my two heavy suitcases to her hostel and accommodated me. The staff was very helpful. I was supposed to stay for two days but I stayed
The room was clean, the air conditioner worked and the staff was very very helpful and homely. They really took great care of me, a senior citizen. I never felt away from home. The front desk girls were really very helpful and full of knowledge about the city and the tourist attractions. They helped me book a full day city tour and a two day mekong delta river cruise for a very very good price.

I would certainly come here again.

Room Tip: The private rooms are on the first floor and the dorms on higher floors.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is ok!! We had private room which was good. For £7 each a night you can't expect too much. We got wifi and breakfast for this price. Breakfast was good though. You got a crusty baguette with the choice of egg or just butter and jam.
We had a fridge in our room, full of drinks. We opened the fridge to look when we got there and there was one can of coke opened and empty but still in the fridge- they tried to charge us on the way out so I'm wondering if they were trying it on or if someone just left it in there when they left.
I wouldn't Want to stay longer than we did, which was three nights. That was too much if I'm honest

• Stayed January 2013
Denpasar
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I was there with my friend for 1 night, mixed dorm.
The room is clean, the bed make a little noise when u are moving on it.
The front desk guy is very friendly, and always smiling and he willing to help me to send postcard :)
Also they help us to booked a good condition bus ticket to Phnom Penh for the next day.
The living room is a cozy room with pool, wifi, books, computer, TV and Playstation 2!
The breakfast is ok, they served banana also :D
They located near the main area, but not in the middle of it, a quite place to stay :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Frankfurt
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The hostel is good. It was a bit difficult to find it, as it is hidden in a very little street between the two main streets, which is actually a big advantage because it is quiet at night.
I stayed in a 4 bed dorm. The room was very small but clean, equipped with a well working air conditioning, four beds and lockers. Normally I use my own towels and sheet, but I felt very comfortable with the cleaningness of those they gave to me. The 4 bed dorm has its own bathroom, shared by the 4 persons in the room. It was simple but also very tidy.

Staff was great. They organised everything to me and also recommended a nice local restaurant around the corner. Location is ok. There are many other hostels around, as well as plenty of bars and restaurants. However next time I would choose a hostel a bit further up Pham Ngu Lao Road, as this allows you to explore main sights in a walking tour.

You should not expect too much when you make the reservation, however it is the best value for money you can get.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo