“Laid back”

Mekong River Cruise
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Mekong Delta is the southernmost region of Vietnam. It is often referred to as the rice bowl of Vietnam as it produces three harvests per year. The fertile Mekong Delta is also famous for its tropical fruits and flowers
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Try not to let the guide control the agenda, just do what looks interesting (but be polite).
Enjoy the river and take some beers!

4  Thank ChamUk

Reviewed May 31, 2013

After taking a 2 hours rest upon our arrival at Elegant Inn from the airport, my son and I arranged with the front desk a full day tour to Mekong. We paid US$44.00 for the both of us, inclusive of entrance fees and lunch We were picked up at the hotel, brought to the office of the tour operator to wait for the rest of the tourists. It was a 2-hour bus ride going to My Tho City Port. From the port we boarded a boat traversing through the Mekong river to start the cruise. Had lunch in one of the four islands after showing to us how to make coconut candies. We had a free taste of some of the products of the candy factory. We got to see the bee farm, the crocodile farm. Got to taste their seasoned fruits while listening to Vietnamese music. Got to taste Vietnamese tea while everyone when gaga when a large python was brought out before our eyes. Photo shoots here and there, with the snake of course. Was very much scared though. Didnt have the guts to allow the snake engulfed me with its slimy skin. We rode sampan boats with Vietnamese ladies paddling. Strong Vietnamese ladies to speak of. It was an experience for my son. Back to the City, again after a two-hour bus ride. We were told to alight where the big tourist bus picked us up. On our way back to the hotel, my son and I got lost, and it was raining hard. Oh well, this didnt change our view of this tour. Knowing the culture of neighboring countries such as Vietnam will always be my objective whenever I and my children travel abroad.

1  Thank bonjet
Reviewed May 21, 2013

For some reason, I was expecting some historical tie-ins with the Vietnam War when visiting the Mekong but this was not the case. Following a 2 hour bus ride and a brief visit of a Buddhist temple, we boarded a boat which took us across the river to one island where we were shown how they make coconut candy. We were then directed onto a series of donkey-drawn carts which we thought were taking us somewhere but it turned out to be simply a 5 minute ride one way, a u-turn and a 5 minute ride back to where we had started. It was then back on the boat for another brief ride to where we were served a slab of lukewarm pork in BBQ sauce with green beans and rice.

After lunch, we had an hour to explore the area, cross the bamboo bridge, visit the Coconut Religion temple. ride bikes or lay in hammocks. We opted for bikes and soon found ourselves baking in the sun along a path which went from concrete to gravel to dirt to paving stones to concrete... The bikes were in poor condition with loose pedals, little or no brakes and broken seats. However, the bells all worked.

It was then back on the boat to our next destination, a village where they made everything honey. We were served samples of various honey-related products and given the opportunity to purchase their wares. We were then off to the best part of the tour, a 5-10 minute ride through the jungle in a paddle boat. Once back on land, we were served tea and fruit while entertained with live local folk music. Thankfully, that didn't last very long. It was then back to the boat to return to mainland where our bus awaited to take us back to HCMC.

Not a bad day, all things considered but, just not as interesting as I was expecting.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We had a private full day tour with a guide and driver which we had pre booked before arriving in Vietnam.it was a great experience with a young,enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide.It take about 2 hours to drive there but on the y we were engaged in conversation about the history of ten area, the curre t lifestyle and customs of the communities we passed through or visited. First stop was at My Pho where ther is a temple to a religion established in 1928 that cobras 4 main religions.Talk about covering your bases. Then we had a river. Ruise a
Ong the Mekong before arriving on an island and then traveling by sampan along the narrow canals to a small village where we taste the local fruits and were entertained by a very musical local family. A fur her boat ride to another island and a restaurant which had great local food and fresh fish called an elephants ear. I think it may have been a basa. Back to the mainland and return to Ho Chi Min city where we visited a well know lacquer factory Minh Phuong. This place had traditional work made of mother of pearl duck egg shell and lacquer painting. We were very excited and indulged ourselves in authentic lacquer work . Overall a terrific experience.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We took a coach for a long drive out of the city to what was simply a tourist experience. First a boat took us a little way across the river to some islands. After that it was all walking. There we could taste all kinds of fruit that grows in Vietnam and listened to traditional Vietnamese songs. Then off to a place where they made toffees from coconut milk in different flavours. A third stop was tasting (and purchasing spices with the added attraction of being photo graphed handling a python. Finally we did get into a small boat and were rowed around mangrove swamps ("Keep your hands in the boat to avoid the alligators" - an unlikely story) Then back on the bigger boat to the small harbour. An very interesting day out but definitely not a river cruise.