“Full as a goog!”

Back of the Bike Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Motorbikes and Vietnamese Street Food, what more can you ask for? Here at Back Of The Bike we have been, tasting, researching, and recording all of the best street food in Ho Chi Minh City. We offer you the chance to experience Saigon comfortably and safely on the back of our bikes. Our local, knowledgable and English speaking guides offer you the chance to indulge yourself in our favorite spots for a truly cultural immersive experience.
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This IS your first tour in Vietnam! Don't wait until the end of your trip. Chad and Thuy and Co know the very best of Saigon's best kept food secrets. There is ample adventure navigating the chaotic traffic on the back of a scooter; even more for your mouth as you taste what food is meant to taste like. My two kids had a ball. Yummmmmm!!!

1  Thank JarrodTiaJake
Write a ReviewReviews (2,128)

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I had one day in HCMC and Back of the Bike Tours was seriously the best way to combine my two loves, sightseeing and shopping! Thuy met me at the airport on-time and we headed straight out to the Reunification Palace, she was very informative and interesting and I had such a great time learning about the history of Saigon from a personal perspective!
We went to one of Thuy's favourite restaurants for lunch (crap soup) and it was one of the BEST things I have ever tried in my life! I really love vietnamese food and this was no exception, it was fabulous and there is no way I would have ever found this place by myself, or recommended in any tourist guide. After lunch a few enjoyable hours were spent at Ben Thanh where Thuy and I both divulged in our love of photography, and she took me all around the wet markets which were great, even asking the ice men to put another block of ice through their machine for another photo opportunity! She was also very good at bargaining for me, made my shopping experience so much more relaxing! We changed itinerary a bit halfway through the day and it was totally cool and relaxed.
Thuy dropped me off at the airport after a very busy day seeing the sights and gaining a knowledgeable insight to life in Saigon today. I would highly recommend Back of the Bike tours to anyone who is heading to HCMC!!! Thuy and her American husband are running a fantastic business :-)

1  Thank travelling_cass
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Thuy and MrT thanks so much with your patience with the shopping , and wow Thuy you are a legend when it comes to driving a hard bargain and getting the prices down , Mr T what a lovely person you are ! This was our second day with these guys the first day we had so much fun with the food tour we decided to do the shopping tour too we highly recommend

1  Thank Mikerachravenswood
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Am a long time street food fan....also am new to living in HCM and the guest bedroom is already pretty heavily booked!!! Knowing that the majority of my friends are just a little on the 'right side of crazy'....an afternoon on the back of a motorbike checking out street food sounded like it would be a winner.....and it was!!! A colleague recommended Back of the Bike Tours because they were not only knowledgeable about good street food but personable....we found them to be both this and more. What a great way to see HCM and learn about Vietnamese culture and food. Thank you to Chad and his team for an afternoon of feeling like we were part of everyday Vietnam life. You are number one on my guest "To Do" list!!

1  Thank RockhopperAustralia
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I found Back of the Bike tour on Tripadvisor and was delighted with our experience.

My son Andrew and I went on a night tour with the wonderful owner-couple Thuy and Chad who took us personally on the back of their scooters for a evening of great local good, experiences and fascinating stories. A great way to get a perspective of lives in Vietnam from an aspiring couple - Thuy, a well educated Vietnamese lady and Chad, an American who adventurously packed his bags and decided to make his mark in Vietnam - I admire their conviction and perseverance, and our conversations were great compliment to the food.

Talking about food, we must have gorged our way through 6 or 7 food meals across the city some interesting, some fantastic, all supposedly famous food haunts. My fave is the Vietnamese baguette, freshly baked and toasted french loaves with pate, sliced meats, and a ton of wonderful things that elevated a simple sandwich into a heavenly delight. I still dream of it.

We squatted by the roadside a couple of times, mingling with the locals; we parked along the road for a herbal drink; weaved though incredibly chaotic traffic that you wonder why not more accidents have happened. Chad's theory is that look ahead 6 feet, just scoot on and dont look anywhere else. Seems to work!

Travelling on the back of a bike , with the night breeze, the noise and the sights offer an entirely different persecutive of local night life, and the scene changes as you work your way through different districts.

You can eat and drink all you want, and while the experience doesn't come cheap, it's worth every dollar and I will do it again. on my next trip. I highly recommend this experience, especially if you are lucky enough to get Thuy and Chad to host you personally.

3  Thank RogerYuen