“A great way to learn about Vietnamese food”

Saigon Cooking Class
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Saigon Cooking Class offers cooking class, street food tour & culinary team building! What makes our popular cooking class unique is the association with the fantastic Hoa Tuc restaurant allowing us to use their recipes in a beautiful colonial building. Our talented Chefs exclusively fluent in English teach classic Vietnamese dishes as well as contemporary, excellent, Hoa Tuc signature recipes. Each participant has his own material and ingredients to follow the Chef step by step and cook his own meal. Our goal is to give you as much as possible for 1 session Vietnamese cooking skills so that you can continue to learn and explore by yourself. For adventurous people hop on the back of ours scooters or go for a walking visit and let our Chef guide you across Saigon's hidden alleys to sample the best of local delicacies. A true feast! From Tuesday till Sunday, cooking class twice a day, street food tour everyday! For companies or large group contact us for unforgettable team building!
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Like other reviewers, I met Chef Khang and Khoi Pham at Ben Thanh market. As we walked through the vegetable, fruit and herb section, they told us about the products common to Vietnamese cooking and answered our questions. When we arrived at the cooking school, above Hoa Tuc Restaurant, the tables were carefully laid out with all the ingredients we would need for our first dish, Vietnamese Spring rolls. We made and ate three dishes, each delicious. The instruction was carefully thought out and easy to follow. Chef Khang speaks excellent English and explains the cooking process very well. Everyone succeeded in preparing their dishes and I believe we would all be able to replicate these recipes at home. It was an excellent cooking experience and one I would highly recommend!

There are newer reviews for Saigon Cooking Class

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This cooking class is outstanding. Chef Khang and Khoi Pham are both extremely knowledgeable and gracious, and offer a fabulous way to learn and enjoy for half a day. The market visit is a great thing, also, and optioal. We went one morning and loved it so much that we returned the next day. Each day, the entire menu changes so there is much to learn in going for several days in a row. The food is marvelous. The setting is in the spacious room over the gourmet restaurant Hoa Tuc. Everything is comfortable, immaculate, and the classes are sized small enough to allow each student to ask many questions and receive individual attention. This will be the very first thing we do on our next trip to Saigon, for sure. We would recommend for anyone other than young children. A great value for the money, by the way. International students. Excellent English.

3  Thank LindaF5438
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We got into Ho Chi Minh late last night and had nothing planned for today. We called the Saigon Cooking Class number early in the morning and were booked in. The customer service is friendly and easy to understand. We met Chef Khang at the Ben Tanh Market where he gave us a good overview and insights on the market and its organization. He showed us what/where and how the fruits, veggies, seafood, tofu, meat, noodles etc is used in Vietnamese food. We learned a lot and it was great to pick up food from the market to use for our cooking class. Khang was funny, genuine and a great instructor. We went to the cooking class upstairs of the Hoa Tuc restaurant, a quick taxi drive there. We cooked three delicous meals and picked up some good tips along the way. We made, spring rolls, bamboo shoot salad and crispy noodle with squid. To top it off, we had a delicous passion fruit custard which was an amazing finish to an already great experience.

The team is organized, friendly and professional. I would recommend this to anyone interested in learning the basics of Vietnamese cuisine.

2  Thank Mangogiggles
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I didn't take this cooking class, rather, I booked this for my parents while I got a massage at Cat Moc Spa (see my separate review). They absolutely loved the experience! I booked this last minute and I couldn't thank Ilda Briosca enough for the quick response. I was worried about my parents getting there and, while not usually a part of their service, one of their chefs (Chef Khang?) even picked them up from the hotel (we stayed right beside the Ben Tranh Market). The manager, Nghia Dang, even sent me a follow up email to let me know that my parents are doing well in the class!

My parents raved about the staff (and trust me, my parents are generally NOT easy to please)! They were very impressed with being able to prepare gorgeous dishes despite the seeming simplicity of the ingredients. They felt that the chef, while young, was very experienced. They came home with recipes, cooking tips, and many pictures to share. They can't wait to get home to try their new found culinary skill.

Thank you, Saigon Cooking Class, for making our trip special!

1  Thank mdavidohoh
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The class was good and the food was delicious - chef was very friendly the only issue i had is that we only cooked 3 dishes - the class was supposed to be from 10-1pm but we ended at 12pm so I feel like we could have made more dishes