“fanstastic experience”

Saigon Cooking Class
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Saigon Cooking Class offers cooking class, street food tour & culinary team building! What makes our popular cooking class unique is the association with the fantastic Hoa Tuc restaurant allowing us to use their recipes in a beautiful colonial building. Our talented Chefs exclusively fluent in English teach classic Vietnamese dishes as well as contemporary, excellent, Hoa Tuc signature recipes. Each participant has his own material and ingredients to follow the Chef step by step and cook his own meal. Our goal is to give you as much as possible for 1 session Vietnamese cooking skills so that you can continue to learn and explore by yourself. For adventurous people hop on the back of ours scooters or go for a walking visit and let our Chef guide you across Saigon's hidden alleys to sample the best of local delicacies. A true feast! From Tuesday till Sunday, cooking class twice a day, street food tour everyday! For companies or large group contact us for unforgettable team building!
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I love cooking and eating. Three hours spent learning about making Vietnamese cooking and Vietnamese ingredients, developing skills, eating good food I'd made myself, and talking (if you want to) with other travellers from all over. I actually went to three classes all with different menus - I went to the cooking only one from 10.00am - 1.00pm. It is a lovely gentle thing to do while visiting another culture. There are cooking utensils for sale but never a hard sell. The place is easy to find and I must admit to stopping at the Intercontinental Asiana (there are two Intercontinentals this is the Asiana one) on the same street for a pre-class coffee in their lobby cafe (it is less than a 5 minute walk away). For two of the classes I went with my husband and for one I was on my own. This would be great to do if travelling solo. The manner of instruction would be interesting to use at a dinner party for getting each guest to prepare their own entree or salad (cooking the whole meal this way probably wouldn't be easy to do at a dinner party) in fact I intend to do that for the entree and salad in a couple of weeks. What was one of the things I learnt - get that fish sauce out of the fridge, make sure it is made from anchovies and has a rating of 60 or more.

3  Thank couldyoutellme

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I brought my 3 sons (!) who are pre-teen and teenagers to this class and we all enjoyed it. The cooking was basic, for beginners, and laid out step by step. Our chefs english vocabulary was very good, but she was a bit hard for all of us to to understand due to her accent. We learned how to make rice paper rolls, Vietnamese chicken salad, and fried rice. I would recommend this for beginner chefs. Fun experience!

1  Thank casadeboys
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Loved this morning's cooking school. Met at the west gate of the market and went shopping for fresh produce with the chef and then a paid for taxi ride to the restaurant. Class of about 10 people including our 7 year old daughter and we all love it. Great people and food. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Mrtracy
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My girlfriend and I partook in the Sunday morning class in July. As arranged we met the instructors at the market. There was a large class on the day we took the class so the class was split into two. Unfortunately two people from our group never showed up for the market tour even though we waited for them for 20 minutes.

The Chef for our group was Mr. Jeff Hong and he brought us through the market and described what all the fruit and vegetables were used for showed. We even witnessed frogs been beheaded and skinned!! He showed us a lot of local things in the market such as snake tea and market vendors making numerous different rice creations. He purchased a rice desert which he distributed amongst the class, they were very tasty.

Following this we all got a taxi to the class, which was paid for by Mr. Hong. We were then given our aprons and an iced tea. As there were a large number of people partaking in the class on that day we were part of the group who cooked outside while the other group were upstairs. This didn’t make much difference however. We first prepared spring rolls with a dipping sauce, following this we made a banana blossom chicken salad and finally we made Pho Bo. We were a bit rushed making the Pho Bo and it was prepared a little bit too much by the staff. As with other half day cooking classes a lot of the ingredients were prepared by the staff in advance so there is not a huge amount of cooking or preparation but it is a very enjoyable way to learn a little more about Vietnamese cuisine. We all got to eat our dishes after preparation and they were very tasty. I would advise not to eat much before going as you will be very full after eating all of the dishes.

We also got a nice mango desert at the end of the day along with the bill but unfortunately there was no recipe for this upon completion of the course. Overall it was highly enjoyable but don’t expect to be a super Chef afterwards, it’s an introduction to Vietnamese cuisine.

3  Thank kingciaran
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Booking the course was very straightforward - the website is very informative and emails from Ms Quyen were really helpful (including a picture of exactly where we were to meet). We met at Ben Thanh market where we were introduced to our guide/chef Ms Luyen and the rest of the group.

Chef Luyen took us through the market, explaining to us the different herbs, vegetables, fruits, meats and fish. She was very knowledgeable and was able to answer any questions we had. As foodies, my partner and I really valued having a guide as we'd found it difficult a couple of days before to navigate the market and avoid lots of vendors trying to sell us coffee and cobra wine.

Once we had all the ingredients we needed we jumped in taxis (included in the price of the course) and congregated upstairs at Hoa Tuc restaurant (set in an old opium refinery). Here we were given clear instruction and guidance on how to prepare three dishes (green mango salad was outstanding) and eat them as a group.

The group size was about right as we had plenty of work space, any bigger and I think it would have been a squeeze. Equipment and ingredients were of excellent quality.

At the end we all got a copy of the recipes so we can try them at home, which I certainly will.

4  Thank SarahBlanchard