“Best, most authentic hands-on cooking class in Saigon”

Saigon Cooking Class
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Saigon Cooking Class offers cooking class, street food tour & culinary team building! What makes our popular cooking class unique is the association with the fantastic Hoa Tuc restaurant allowing us to use their recipes in a beautiful colonial building. Our talented Chefs exclusively fluent in English teach classic Vietnamese dishes as well as contemporary, excellent, Hoa Tuc signature recipes. Each participant has his own material and ingredients to follow the Chef step by step and cook his own meal. Our goal is to give you as much as possible for 1 session Vietnamese cooking skills so that you can continue to learn and explore by yourself. For adventurous people hop on the back of ours scooters or go for a walking visit and let our Chef guide you across Saigon's hidden alleys to sample the best of local delicacies. A true feast! From Tuesday till Sunday, cooking class twice a day, street food tour everyday! For companies or large group contact us for unforgettable team building!
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Fun, friendly, and delicious, Saigon Cooking Class offers a true hands-on Vietnamese cooking experience guided by an English-speaking chef/instructor. The recipes are complex in flavor and texture, yet uncomplicated to prepare. We learn how to use traditional Vietnamese cooking utensils (including knives and unusual slicing gadgets), and implement various cooking methods such as a charcoal-filled flower pot (for BBQ), wok, clay pot, etc. The rotating menu is different for each day of the week, providing an excellent variety of dishes and the opportunity to practice many culinary techniques and learn about unfamiliar ingredients. The recipes do not use any MSG, and the chef is happy to adapt the recipes to vegetarian/vegan if requested. Every student in the class makes every dish, following the instruction and guidance of the (very patient)chef. The food is sensational! Over the past 5 years I have taken numerous cooking classes in Vietnam and Saigon Cooking Class is by far the best in Ho Chi Minh City. I am a vegetarian cooking instructor, and I always learn something new and useful in every Saigon Cooking Class. You'll love it!

1  Thank Rebecca808
There are newer reviews for Saigon Cooking Class

Reviewed June 20, 2012

In late May I met the chef at the markets and had a personalised tour where she explained the herbs, veges, seafood and other foods to me, we bought our supplies for the meals we were going to make, we took a taxi back to the restaurant and I was surprised that even the locals get ripped of by the drivers....I shared the day with 3 lovely ladies from France, we all got alamaze rally well and encouraged each other in the amazingly easy but very yummy dishes we made. Fresh pork, prawn and noodle spring rolls with peanut dipping sauce (Goi cuon), water spinach salad with prawn, shallots and garlic with cumquat dressing (Goi rau muong) and chicken stew in clay pot (Ga kho gung). The only downside was I thought it was a bit pricey but as it came highly recommended I happily paid it.....definitely will do another class when I go back again as they have a different menu for each day of the week.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

We started off at Benh Tan Market. Grabbed stuff to use in our cooking sessions. We also had the chance to buy souvenir items for take home such as cinnamon and coffee (I suggest you get yours in the supermarket where the price are fixed and no one will try to rip you off.) After the market tour, the Chef and his assistant accompanied us at the upper floor of Hoa Tuc the Restaurant. We cooked at one table and ate at another adjacent. The recipes we cooked were top-notch. I especially like the grilled beef with fresh salad greens and the Bhan Xeo! It was the best. We ate at another place later that night and had Bahn Xeo, but it was quite different from the one we had at the cooking class. The cooking class used premium ingredients and were clean. We can't say the same for the other food/resto we tried in Vietnam. The last two dishes we prepared were superb in flavor and authenticity. The soup -- tofu and tomato was a bit bland for me. All in all, it was very informative and the Chef and the rest of the assistants were all friendly and helpful. This activitiy is highly recommended. You can skip the market tour but you have to try this!

2  Thank jrcl
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I took this course on Sunday 3rd June and really enjoyed it. We visited the market where our chef was happy to answer any questions and explained lots about various food I'd never seen before. We cooked three courses and all were delicious and not beyond the realms of home cooking so looking forward to trying these out at home. Would definitely recommend to any foodies!

1  Thank Ya-what-now
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I have been to a few cooking classes around Asia and this is one of the best. Activities are very hands-on and students participate about 70%. You get a very nice recipe booklet for free at the end of the lesson. Classroom has a professional yet homely setting which is comforting. Choose a menu where they BBQ if you can, you get to experience using traditional Vietnamese method of BBQ-ing. The downside, I would have preferred a brief historical/religious/cultural explanation on traditional Vietnamese kitchen and a certificate of participation would have added a personal touch to it. Overall, best cooking school in saigon, don't waste your time with the others.