“Mangrove & monkey island disappointment”
Review of Sun N' Sea Travel

Sun N' Sea Travel
Book In Advance
$132.00*
and up
Mekong Delta Day Trip from Ho Chi Minh City: My Tho and Ben Tre with Mango...
$70.00*
SAIGON CYCLO ROUND and DINNER ON BONSAI CRUISE
$75.00*
and up
Cai Be Floating Market, Sa Dec Town and Mekong Queen Cruise Day Trip from Ho...
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We booked for an Eco style tour of the mangrove forest and monkey island with croc farm and long boat ride to guerrilla camp in the mangroves with STA travel. The full day tour could actually be done in half a day. The monkeys are very habituated to humans. We were warned to hold tight to cameras etc but they wanted to sell food to feed them perpetuating the behaviours. One person was bitten on the arm trying to brush a monkey that was ransacking his pockets.

The boat ride and guerrilla camp were very interesting. The lunch at The Carrot Restuarant was awfull, the worst food we have experienced in the country. The afternoon was free for a swim or look at local shops. We went back to Saigon after a short walk on the beach.

2  Thank Claire W

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Although somewhat hokey and certainly set up for tourists, suspend your cynicism and enjoy the cruise down the Mekong and the canoe ride down a tributary, You will be subjected to local honey and coconut production but it is all in good fun.

2  Thank ErikAlison
Reviewed March 15, 2013

(1) Travel by junk along the Mekong Delta, which is a huge, grungy river with a large expansion bridge on it.
(2) Visit a private home for tea, tropical fruits and entertainment with Vietnamese instruments.
(3) Walk to a road where a horse cart ride awaits.
(4) Transfer to a longtail boat for a ride along a narrow part of the Mekong Delta, where you'll feel like your're riding through a jungle.
(5) Visit a coconut candy-making operation that's very interesting.
(6) Eat lunch at the elaborate "Mekong Delta Rest Stop" and see an amazing presentation of elephant ear fish and sticky rice.

This tour was one of the highlights during my first visit to both North and South Vietnam.

By the way, I witnessed a 90-year-old, wheelchair-bound American woman doing all of this with no problem, but she was able to get out of the wheelchair and walk for a short distance.

4  Thank PatriciaRick
Reviewed March 12, 2013

After the 3 1/2 hour drive, it's a nice boat ride with lots of personal attention. The canals are interesting for the first 20 minutes, then boredom. Transferring to a smaller boat to go back in the boondocks was interesting, but the whole afternoon became tedious. If you like Elephant Ear fish for lunch, fine. Too many vendors selling cheap trinkets. This is a pretty organized tour for tourists. The novelty wears off fast.

1  Thank Rob S
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Rubbish trip on the edges of the Mekong, it's just a tour put together to make you spend money. Coconut candy, honey tea, row boat ride, folk music. All elements of the tour just want money money money.. The best part of the tour was the small row boats through the narrows canals but even this was disastrous. After 2 minutes I turned to my boyfriend and said 'I'm sure the lady going past us just whispered to pay money'.. And yes, the rest of the 15 minute boat ride involved hundreds of boats going past shouting for us all to tip $5!!! I mean, wow, I understand that they must think we're all made of money but it's disgusting behaviour and someone needs to teach these people the tipping system. As I tried to get off the boat the lady behind me grabbed my shoulder and told me I must pay.. Errm, hell no.

Yes, it is only $10-15 but I feel like I just wasted a day. Most of that day was on the bus or waiting for our rubbish 'tour guide' Tao to get off his phone and actually participate or acknowledge his customers whilst we all sat in the restaurant for over an hour waiting to see something of the Mekong..

You can and should expect more for your money, for cheaper than this I've done the 4 Islands in Krabi, countless trips in the Taman Negara and an amazing snorkel trip around the Perhentian Islands... This one is just a con. Rant over.

3  Thank hbrett_8