“Mekong Delta One day Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sun N' Sea Travel

Sun N' Sea Travel
Book In Advance
More Info
$75.00*
and up
Cai Be Floating Market, Sa Dec Town and Mekong Queen Cruise Day Trip from Ho...
Mauritius
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Mekong Delta One day Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

I booked a one day tour to the Mekong Delta through a travel agency. The pamphlet quoted 220000 VND but the organizers told me that with charges, the price will be 300000 VND. I said to myself: That is less than 15 USD and did not argue.

They picked me up at my hotel at 8 am and after about 2 hours in an ac bus, reached a village called My Tho. We stopped at a coffee shop for about 15 minutes midway between HCMC and My Tho. Then we boarded a big boat and visited a coconut candy factory, had honey tea and candies, had fruits and tea while enjoying local folk songs. We also had a basic lunch (included in the 300000 VND) and watched a show on another island.

The most exciting part was when we boarded small rowing boats in groups of 4 and went inside rice paddies. The guide spoke good English and was very friendly and funny.

After the return trip, was dropped at Pham Ngu Lao. That was OK for me as my hotel was within walking distance.

In short, a very pleasant day with loads of fun at a very affordable price.

6 Thank Chris889216

• Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Ben Tre Cycling - just amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Last week, I travelled to Ben Tre (Mekong, Vietnam) for a cycling trip. It's just amazing! We biked about 10km, along the narrow country path in the truly fresh air under sunny sky with the green of waving leaves. The guide talked to me some funny stories and showed me all the attractions along the path. We stopped twice for visiting local garden and local house. We talked much with local people... It's wonderful experience. I love Mekong!

1 Thank TiiMtravel
England
299 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 342 helpful votes
“Pays your money, takes your chance.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

We went on a tour of the Mekong Delta as part of a bigger package tour. We had our own guide for the two of us It was an overcast day so the river looked rather murky but ignoring that we found much of interest There were lots of fish farms (look up river cobbler if you want to know more) on the banks or built out into the river. After some time we went up a small creek and disembarked up rough steps onto a small island We saw deserted bee hives, passed a boy trying to net river snails and were taken to a small refreshment place to sample a honey drink,coconut candy and sugared peanuts They were rather expensive, and not open to offers so we did not buy! (We later bought some back in a night market in HCMC) Next we had a rather bumpy ride in a horse and cart through a village, with a rather surly driver before another stop to sample local fruits and listen to a local singer . Next we clambered down a bank to a sampan where a cheery lady rowed us back to our original boat which took us back to where we started from. At no stage were we hassled by anyone to buy anything or asked for tips. This may have been because everthing was organised by Kuoni in UK and our guide took care of tips but if you are buying in locally make sure you know what you are paying for upfront. The drive from HCMC takes about one and a half hours.

3 Thank TrueBrit_10
Newport, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Mekong Delta rip off”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Went from HCMC city on private tour with Lotus Travel. Nothing wrong with the arrangements or the guide but the trip is really just an excuse to get more money out of you. It promises a look at the real life of the Mekong Delta - well I suppose it did if real life means taking every opportunity to sell sell sell. Try the honey tea? Yes it was nice but I did not want to buy some - same with the candy. We did not buy but could tell it was expected. Tips expected everywhere, the boat driver, the pony and trap driver (did not get why we had to go by pony - seemed a bit odd), the other boat driver, it just went on and on. Don't get me wrong I am usually a fairly generous tipper, when it is deserved, this however seemed designed to get the most money out of you in a short space of time.
After that we were asked to go to the Snake Farm & then the Crocodile Farm - both at extra cost - we declined.
The only positive to the whole day was the excellent Vietnamese lunch that was included in the price.
All in all a real disappointment and certainly not worth the money.

4 Thank PhilJul77
adelaide
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Mekong Delta Tour. Must do when visiting southern Vietnam”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 days in Ho Chi Min City in early January 2013. As part of our stay, we took a one day tour of the Mekong Delta.
After much research, we booked this tour through Urban Adventures on the web. We chose this company because the price was very reasonable and the itinerary seemed quite comprehensive.
We were picked up from the Opera House in HCMC, fortunately just 5 minutes walk from our hotel. There was some confusion picking up the other guests as the company had changed their pick up policy from picking up at hotels to picking up from the Opera House. This didn't affect us, but it seems that many guests did not get this message, so spent quite some time picking people up from various places around the city.
About an hour and a half drive to Can Do on the delta, and then transferred to a river boat. for a cruise on the river, stopping at a village on the way for a feed of local fruit, dinks and some lovely singing by some of the villagers.
Then off again past floating fish farms and then transferring to small sampans with some of the guests helping out with the paddling. Very hot and humid in the small waterways, so it was a relief after about 30 - 40 minutes to disembark at another village for a delicious lunch of local food and produce. Lunch was included in the price, but we were able to buy a beer or two which was most welome.
After lunch we all transferred in local "tuk-tuk" type vehicles for a very "interesting" drive along some very narrow but very picturesque roads to a coconut candy factory. Here we saw how the various products were made and given some samples. Also a comprehensive gift shop, got a great T shirt.
After the stop, we again boarded the river boat for the short trip to Can Do and then the bus journey back to the city.
Our guide's name was Gem and she lived up to her name. Very good English and extensive knowledge of the region and its people.
All in all a most enjoyable tour. I highly recommend it and the Urban Adventure company

Visited January 2013