“Fabulous old school French restaurant”

La Villa French Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 3,597 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A French Chef Thierry Mounon and his wife Tina are welcoming you in that elegant colonial style Villa. In Saigon's District 2, enjoy traditional or not so traditional French cuisine straight from Provence. Have lunch or dinner in the serene courtyard or refined interior, both bolstered by experienced and personable waitstaff. La Villa French Restaurant is located on a quiet side street off Thao Dien, a short taxi ride from the city center. La Villa French Restaurant features authentic French cuisine with true love of top products.Lunch Menu available, Dinner, a la carte and set menus are available for your dining pleasure. For the connoisseur a broad selection of French wines is on offer.La Villa is closed Sundays. Local Insight: The Lobster Menu is a must! Lunch Menu available Bringing due diligence to dessert, each pastry is delicate, delicious and just a touch decadent.
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Set in a lovely ex-colonial mansion, this a really delightful old school French restaurant and is just perfect for special occasions.

We came here as a treat on our honeymoon and ordered the 10-course tasting menu with accompanying wines. Great value compared with what you'd pay for something similar back in the UK or Europe, so it's definitely worth a splurge if you're into fine dining. Probably best not to eat too much during the day, as even though it's a tasting menu, the portions are huge!

The tasting menu comprised of various canapes and starters, two mains, two desserts and cheese. You can choose whether you want half glasses or full glasses of wine with each course, but unless you fancy keeling over half way through, it's perhaps best to opt for the half glasses....

The food is ridiculously good - highlights for me were the homemade foie gras, the queen scallop and the baked custard apple dessert. The service throughout was incredible, very non-intrusive and polite. You can tell the owners have really set out to recreate a wonderful, typically French dining experience. While you're there, you pretty much forget about the noise, mopeds and heat right outside!

Tina, the chef's wife, does front of house and she's an absolute delight to talk to, really friendly and charming.

Definitely a must for special occasions while in Saigon.

1  Thank MrsT28

Reviewed May 2, 2014

We went here for our anniversary dinner and it was a great decadent evening. The prices are high, but we were expecting that, so it wasn't a problem. The food was delicious -melt-in-mouth meat and lots of creative nibbles between courses. We were too full for dessert but the staff brought us a surprise complimentary mini-medley of desserts to celebrate our anniversary. Service is excellent with knowledgeable waitresses, and Tina, the front-of-house owner, was lovely. Would definitely come back for another celebration

Reviewed April 26, 2014

My food was bland meat was well cooked but sauces were lacking flavour. If you eat outside in the garden be prepared to see local wildlife.

1  Thank PageBedford
Reviewed April 24, 2014

This is a seriously good restaurant. From being met and helped out the taxi on arrival through to the end of the meal everything - as far as my husband and I were concerned - was perfect. The chef is highly creative/adventurous and bold - such a change from all the other restaurants in HCMC serving the same type of western food. Such creativity/boldness does meant that not every dish works for everyone - my husband and my choices worked superbly well for us, but not all the way through for my step son and his wife (the carpaccio of scallop for instance didn't do it for my daughter in law) but in my view, that is the fun of going somewhere that is so much better than anywhere else I have been to in Vietnam (or even Asia in recent years)

As well as the food being exceptional, it would be hard to find better service. So professional. So slick. So efficient in all respects.

My only two minor comments would be (a) either improve the lighting in the garden so that one can read the menus (although that would probably spoil the romantic ambience - so perhaps torches better) and (b) have some low music in the garden so one isn't forced to listen to a fellow diner telling his life story to his date. These are not criticisms by any means as for my husband I this was an exceptional dining experience and one we would definitely wish to repeat (indeed we are considering for lunch today)

It is of course more expensive than a lot of restaurants but at about £50 per head including wine exceptional value for the overall experience

This shouldn't just be in the restaurant listing on TA in my view - it should be on the list of the top 10 things to do in HCMC as it is not just a meal out, rather a destination dining experience (but do make sure your driver knows where it is as it's quite a way from downtown HCMC and although we were lucky with our driver, I can imagine others will have difficulty of finding it)

Well done to everyone at La Villa for providing confidence back to me that one can eat well in HCMC

1  Thank Carolineess
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I came for dinner two weeks ago with one of my friends. The menu looks so various of choices, so we were impresed by menu first and then the presentation is very attractive with almost white background. The food were also good and the best experience was the service. We got a good take care through by the owner and his wife. Anyway, I enjoyed my time there. It is worthy to recommend to others.

1  Thank Nancy L