“Must-go Restaurant”

Ranked #16 of 3,760 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A French Chef Thierry Mounon and his wife Tina are welcoming you in that elegant colonial style Villa. In Saigon's District 2, enjoy traditional or not so traditional French cuisine straight from Provence. Have lunch or dinner in the serene courtyard or refined interior, both bolstered by experienced and personable waitstaff. La Villa French Restaurant is located on a quiet side street off Thao Dien, a short taxi ride from the city center. La Villa French Restaurant features authentic French cuisine with true love of top products.Lunch Menu available, Dinner, a la carte and set menus are available for your dining pleasure. For the connoisseur a broad selection of French wines is on offer.La Villa is closed Sundays. Local Insight: The Lobster Menu is a must! Lunch Menu available Bringing due diligence to dessert, each pastry is delicate, delicious and just a touch decadent.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The chef also the owner of this restaurant is from Northwest of France, the flavor is a little bit heavy, but same as cuisine I took in France.

It's a little bit far from 1st District by taxi, the location is in a quiet quard with some palm trees (if my memorty is correct :) it's a french style architecture, not luxury style, but sweet!

It's been few months, I couldn't remember our order, but onething deep in memory is the chef's recommendation of wine paring food is perfect.

The price is very attracive, my bf and I are from Seattle, we have nice french restaurant there, same food but half price in La Villa, even in Saigon, still good deal!

+ Score: Since it's a little bit far from downtown, they'll ask taxi for you even approach midnight.

2  Thank Karashan
ThierrySaigon, Owner at La Villa French Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear Karashan,

Thank you very much for this great review, indeed we are delighted to read that you had an excellent experience while dining at La Villa. We do hope to welcome you back soon in future and would like to thank you one more time for your time and patronage!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Set in a historic, private villa in far away District 2. Had to take a 30mins cab ride there and back (though the waiters will call a cab for you on your return). romantic setting; chef will go to each table and chat abit. kind of formal and upscale feel. had the seafood starter, beef as a main course, and the Saint Honore as the dessert.

Daer Raygondra,

Thank you visiting us at La Villa and taking time to review us on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to read that you had such a nice experience while dining with us. La Villa is situated in the elegant District 2, it takes normally only 10 to 15 minutes from D1. Ho Chi Minh City is a large city and all can't be in the very center down town, but again we are very close from the center. Maybe all the taxis didnt come yet to our place, Tina normally send a map with directions when our guests book through email, we do recommend to print it out or to have it on smart phone to avoid Taxi get "lost"...Thank you again for your patronage and we do hope to welcome you back soon in future.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this review. Let me make it clear from the start that I am not criticising La Villa-the food was good (if not outstanding, but then I tried the set lunch which is excellent value), the service very professional and the owner/chef makes the effort to greet diners personally and farewell on departure.
So why the mixed feelings? It is French! Not a major concern in itself - after all, the French have a well desrved reputation for producing fine food. But we are in Vietnam, a country where the food is great and is one of the best reasons to visit the country. Yet the current rankings include only 2 Asian (including Vietnamese) out of the first 10 restaurants and 3 out of the first 20. With so many good Vietnamese restaurants out there, do we really prefer to eat French/Italian/North African?
Having said that, it would be quite unfair to mark La Villa down just to try to advance the locals, so it still deserves a good rating.

1  Thank FreddoBrisbane
ThierrySaigon, Owner at La Villa French Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear FreddoBrisbane,

Thank you for visiting us, however i do not understand your review.
We hope to welcome you back at La Villa.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have dined at Le Cirque, The French Laundry, Per Se, Le Cinq, Citronelle, and many other top restaurants around the world and I feel I know great food when it is before me. La Villa certainly offers wonderful cuisine, with quality ingredients well sourced (foie gras showed up in multiple courses; truffles were plentiful; the cheese cart offers a wide selection of cheeses imported from France). Not only does La Villa offer fine food, it does so at an incredible value for those of us coming from Western locales (approx $50 USD pp for a 5 course meal incl foie gras and truffles!).

As other reviewers have mentioned, the restaurant is housed in a stately French Mansion across the river from central Saigon, with a team of Vietnamese local staff at the ready to take care of your every need. At the head of operations is a friendly and gracious petite Vietnamese lady and her French husband who serves as the executive chef. The setting is romantic and lovely both indoors and out. Dining indoors you'll have the benefit of air conditioning and dining outdoors you'll have the delight of the evening ambiance and soft lighting of the pool. And for the previous reviewer who commented negatively on the "wildlife" outdoors- those scurrying creatures are simply geckos and they keep to themselves on the garden walls and present no complications nor introduce any sanitation problems to the facilities.

Perhaps the one suggestion I have for the staff at La Villa is to more carefully manage the timing of the food presentation. While most of our course flowed in a well timed manner, there was a bit of a gap between the first and second course that was not explained by our wait staff nor the owner (who was making the rounds). Hopefully it was just a one time delay due to a full house of patrons, but every successful restaurant needs to keep a watch on these sorts of things and be ready to explain to customers (or distract them with an intermezzo) when delays crop up unavoidably.

On to the food itself...husband and I both chose the 5 course menu and the star studded stand outs from our selections were the foie gras terrine (so delicious!), the crab ravioli, and the sea bass. Don't miss this items! And the amuse bouche items were a lovely surprise - I am going to borrow the idea for the caramel dipped baby tomatoes for my next dinner party- what a delightful little way to get things started.

We will certainly visit La Villa again should we return to Saigon and we highly recommend the restaurant to everyone.

1  Thank jenniparks76
ThierrySaigon, Owner at La Villa French Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear jenniparks76,

Thank you very much for visiting us at La Villa and for taking time to post such nice review on TripAdvisor. All the team is delighted to know that you had a very good experience while dining with us. I have well noted your comments. Thanks you again for your patronage and we do hope to welcome you back soon in future at La Villa.
best regards, Thierry and La Villa's Crew

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We really enjoyed our evening at La Villa. The setting, a private villa in District 2, is relaxed and inviting and feels very tropical. Sometimes the management's efforts at elegance are drowned out a bit by boisterous neighbors, but you're in Vietnam so relax and enjoy. The chef's wife, Tina, greeted us as we arrived and visited us several times during the evening to make sure we were being well treated. We were. Chef Thierry came out a couple of times as well. As an American, I enjoyed introducing some Vietnamese friends to the nicely executed French food, almost all of which was new to them. The only flaw was that one of our party spoke no English, only Vietnamese - she was offered no Vietnamese menu and was basically ignored throughout the meal. Her bilingual friend had to translate and describe everything to her. I am sure this was an oversight and my friends did not seem to notice, but I thought the restaurant could be a tiny bit more welcoming to visitors from its host country. At any rate, the food was very good and the amuse bouches were spectacular.

Dear bamydood,

Thank you for your review and for visiting us at La Villa. We are delighted to read that you had such a very good experience. I have well noted your comments about your Vietnamese guest. Nevertheless, for some reasons, it is quite difficult to translate our menu in Vietnamese, beside all our staff and my wife as well are Vietnamese. They are there to assist and to provide advices in Vietnamese language if needed, all of them are knowledgeable about our dishes. I am sorry if we give you the impression that we didn t care about our Vietnamese customers, it's absolutely not the case and we do have a lot of our regulars are Vietnamese. We thank you for your input and we do hope to welcome you back soon in future at la Villa.