“Very welcoming”
Review of Casa Italia - CLOSED

Casa Italia
Cuisines: European, Italian, Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Casa is located on the popular Le Loi tourist strip in the same block as the famous Ben Thanh market. Serving coffees from 9am and pizzas and dining from 10am until late, Casa caters to those seeking 'comfort' western and Italian cuisine prepared by our internationally trained chefs and served by English speaking staff. In our smoke free environment you can enjoy the casual, friendly atmosphere of our full service bar, pizzeria and cafe style or venture upstairs for that more romantic touch, relax in our lounge area or request our private room. Enjoy our selection of quality house wines and mingle with the other guests. Casa is intimate with comfortable seating for up to 50 people. Australian owned and managed, you can be assured of homely hospitality, good music and ambience. Casa caters to special diets with gluten free, and vegetarian options, including special meal sizes and choices for children: just ask our staff. Bookings are recommended for evenings and special occasions.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

After reading some great reviews on TA and wanting a guaranteed good meal we decided to try out this restaurant.Owned by an Australian we were made to feel welcome the moment we went thru the door.Cosy ambience with attractive decor.The cheese platter with walnuts and apple was a lovely entree,as you dont normally see this on local menus.Can recommend the nice thin crust tasty pizzas also.Not particularly cheap but for Vietnam but reliable.

stephen H, Owner at Casa Italia, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Thank you for your review. It's a pleasure to host people and accommodate to their wishes and provide that little bit extra where we can. As always, we try to maintain the high standards of what it means to be an Aussie in a foreign country, and give customers the best of Australian hospitality. Kind regards, Stephen

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We went here with high expectations after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and having a colleague strongly recommend this restaurant to me the previous week. They are really getting so much right here, the trattoria atmosphere, wine selection, quality ingredients and service. It was a huge shame that the one thing missing that left me so disappointed was the flavour of the food. Our panzanella salad starter and my spaghetti amatriciana were void of any flavour except that of salt. I could not even taste the chilli in my pasta. My wife's pizza was a bizarre creation with tomato, shrimp and peas that while sounding creative and delicious, completely missed the mark. I don't think it's fair to criticize the high prices too much as it was obvious the quality was there but there needs to be far more emphasis on making the most of these ingredients and getting the most important thing right; the flavour of the food! Perhaps this is not the norm and on this occasion was due to the western chef spending the majority of the time we were there standing outside the kitchen casting a surly gaze over the patrons while the Vietnamese cooks were left to their own devices? I so much wanted this to be my new favourite Italian restaurant in town but I will be returning to others where the taste and flavour of the dishes reflect the owners and the chefs passion and are the star of the show.

2  Thank WillieVN
stephen H, Owner at Casa Italia, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

I think your review is certainly reflective of your personal experience on the night and I thank you for your erudite comments...some of which we can immediately attend to and others .... Well maybe I can use your own words...." ...not the norm..." and again I accept your willingness to give us that credit. The restaurant certainly is something that our head chef and myself are very passionate about as we believe in providing the best experience that we can, so I am worried when you say we don't have that passion because it was not reflected in your dishes of choice which I will comment about now. We take full responsibility for the fact that your panzanella salad and amatriciana spaghetti was over salted, as this certainly will kill the fresh flavours and quality ingredients...for that...sorry and I would have happily replaced with complimentary serves had I or the kitchen staff been notified. Your amatriciana is designed for western palates, and whilst spicy, is not too chili hot as we use medium heat chillies. We provide extra chili in the form of home made chili sauce, fresh local very hot chillies, chili paste and dried chili depending on customer requests. Again there was no request! It is much easier and makes sense to add heat and spices to dishes at the customers own discretion rather than to make a general palate assumption that all will like a particular level of chili and then to be found wanting because it is too hot and therefore wasted. The 'bizarre creation' pizza you say, although I would define as a contemporary culinary blend (passionately crafted by the head chef between 'sultry gazes'.....come-on ....he's a chef!!!) of fresh tomatoes (no homemade tomato paste), chili (more if customer requires), fresh prawns, mint, peas and a dash of lemon is a very nice and popular pizza....although obviously not to your taste. Again, had I been aware I would have happily changed it. Ignorance is not always bliss, and I would rather be aware and provide customer satisfaction rather than having to band aid, justify and/or correct via a public forum which does have a significant impact on our business. As to your preference for other Italian restaurants...we make no bones about the fact that we are a western restaurant serving a majority of Italian styled foods...we are not Italian and we lack that biological Mediterranean emotional infusion.... We are just a Melbourne lane-way style trattoria offering our best in the way only Aussies know how...good food, good wine, cold beer, good fun, good atmosphere and good music. I welcome you back at any time and I will stand up for our quality, our staff and most definitely the head chef. Kind regards, Stephen

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Had a salad, pizza, a couple glasses of wine, tiramisu (highly recommended) and an espresso for about $35+tips. It is not an inexpensive place to eat in Ho Chi Minh City, but it is amazing value for your money. Absolutely delicious food, beautiful decor throughout the restaurant (the ceilings upstairs and down, and the British comedy quotes on the wall upstairs are my favourite parts), and attentive staff make for a wonderful experience. If you want to go for a special meal at a reasonable price while you're in Ho Chi Minh City, go here. I also had the pleasure of meeting the owner and head chef when I stopped by - great guys.

stephen H, Owner at Casa Italia, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

It was a pleasure hosting you...thank you very much for your kind words and taking the time to post your review. Regards, Stephen

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were 2 people, who ordered one appetizer (Bruschetta - which was big and tasty), 2 main courses (vegeterian pizza and spaghetti bolognese), and 2 beers (relatively low-costing ones). The bill was about 570,000 Dong (~28 USD) - which is quite expansive for Vietnam.
That said, the food itself was really good, and if your stomach is in need of some Non-Asian food - you can definitely get a good one there.

It should be mentiond that there's a 5% service charge (didn't encounter many of these around Vietnam) - a fact that is mentioned somewhere in the menu. Near it was also written that additional 10% VAT might be added to the bill "if requested" - we gotta admit we don't understand that one, but anyhow we weren't charged for it.

stephen H, Owner at Casa Italia, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you for your review....it's a pleasure being acknowledged for quality food and value...albeit a western restaurant with western food costs (due to importing) and western staff...so yes a bit more expensive than your local Vietnamese....but certainly not western prices! For your benefit and for others who may read this I would like to explain our services charges as there appears to be a little confusion. Nearly all mid to high end and western restaurants charge an added 5-10% service charge and 10% VAT. Also many Vietnamese bars, clubs and restaurants do likewise. This is seen on menus and bills as just ++. In my years in the business I have only seen a few customers ask or go to the kitchens to tip kitchen staff. Our front of house staff receive normal tips, based on customer satisfaction and the 5% service charge is divided into bonuses for all staff and 50% for kitchen staff. As is the business practice in Vietnam....VAT is incurred and where customers wish to make a VAT claim with the Vietnamese tax authorities and submit our business tax invoice we specifically add the VAT 10% component to the bill. For customers who do not wish to make this claim then we absorb the VAT on their behalf, for which there is no claim. Kind regards Stephen

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We ate here last week, once for coffee and went back for a meal. Excellent service, great meal, lovely atmosphere. Would definitely come back on our return to HCMC.

stephen H, Owner at Casa Italia, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you for your review. It's a pleasure to meet and provide the best we can to our guests. We try to develop and focus our service approach on a regular basis and look forward to meeting customers. The hospitality industry is just that.....hospitality! And we will welcome you back on your return. Kind regards, Stephen