“Very interesting”
Review of Cu Chi Tunnels

More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Really enjoyed our visit here. Our guide was excellent. We went into the tunnels which was quite scary. We had visited the war museum the day before so this made the tunnels more interesting to us. Took plenty photos which were really interesting. The guide we had in the tunnels took some great photos of my husband and I in the tunnels. A must visit for people visiting vietnam. A very easy to understand account of the history of the vietnam war.

Write a ReviewReviews (21,607)
All reviews
in 203 reviews
"both sides"
in 248 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

The cuchi tunnel was the major highlight of my Vietnam Trip. The Vietnamese account of the war was very different from what we are used to reading in our history books. The ingenuity of the viet cong fighting the Americans with little resources is thought provoking.

Do try to enter one of the cuchi entrances that is camouflaged so well against the forest. Also, if you’re interested in walking through the passage of the cuchi tunnel, I would recommend walking with your back arch rather than squatting and crawling them This will help prevent your leg from aching the whole of the next two days which me and my friend suffered from.

Close to the end of the tour, there is also a range, where you can fire the rifles that were used during the war. This includes the ak47, m16, GPMG. It will cost approximately 1 buck per bullet. The rifle is attached to the sandbag, so you can’t really move it around or carry it on your shoulder. If you’re a good shot, I think there are some small souvenirs up for grabs.

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

A couple of hours drive from HCMC this is definitely a must see. Very interesting even if you know little about the war and you walk away at the end of the tour having learned a fair bit.
Tip #1 the short part of the tunnel you actually get to go through is not for the faint hearted. If you are even remotely claustrophobic you will struggle! It's only about 40m long but at 36 degrees heat crawling on your hands and knees it feels like a lot more!
Tip #2 As part of the tour you get a chance to fire some machine guns at a small shooting range. I tried a few rounds on an AK47 and it was well worth it. Having never fired a gun before I was shocked at how loud it was!

Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We visited te Cu Chi Tunnels during our stay in Saigon. It was about two hours by bus to get there, and the tour of the tunnels only lasted about twenty minutes. It was super interesting but I would have loved to have more time to check out the tunnels. Also, price for locals is $1 US while price for "foreigners" was $5 US which I found a bit ridiculous. They said it was because we needed an english speaking tour guide, and there was only one. Thats a lie because almost everyone visiting the tunnels was not Vietnamese except the friends I cam with and there were multiple tours going on in English at the same time. So while my friends paid $1 for an English tour guide (cause they were vietnamese) we paid $5. Its the kind of institutionalized proce gouging like that that I really hate. But uh yeah check it out if you've got some free time :)

See more reviews
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I went to the Cu Chi Tunnels this morning on a tour group and had a very enjoyable morning. I paid $4USD for the tour and while the drive there is long and not overly interesting (75 minutes to go 50km!! - Saigon traffic!!) it was made much more entertaining by our funny tour guide Jackie. An ex-soldier he gave a very personal account of the war and it's effects on the Vietnamese people.

Once we got to the tunnels we were guided through a number of exhibits from booby trap techniques to tunnel maps and watched a video as well. There is a section where you can crawl through the tunnels and although I was keen it is a VERY small space and is quite claustrophobic. Despite the fact that this section of the tunnels has been widened for the 'larger' western tourist it was still too much for me.

Definitely on the must-see list and I would highly recommend this experience for others staying in HCMC.

2  Thank Rebecca C