“Something new everyday”

The Lunch Lady (Nguyen Thi Thanh)
Ranked #1,272 of 5,432 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: It's the best hawker/food stall in ho chi minh city!
Reviewed July 14, 2016

Now this is what nobody should miss when they come to Saigon. The lady cooks only 1 item per day and so you would have to come down on different days to check out different dishes. Ours was a pork soup with rice noodles, it was great.

Date of visit: April 2016
1  Thank World_of_JT
Write a reviewReviews (447)

Reviewed July 7, 2016 via mobile

I watched Bourdain, I read the reviews, I took the out of the way trip... And couldn't be more disappointed. Bourdain had the Friday soup. I couldn't do Friday so my food review will speak to the Thursday soup. My service review will speak for any day of the week.

Food: Fish sauce based broth with shrimp, squid and strips of pork belly with Thai basil, morning glory, cilantro, green onions, and what looked like okra. For the most part, the soup was good. Nothing spectacular by any means. I've traveled through Asia sampling soups and had many, many more flavorful and better soups.

Service: This is where things get nasty. When we arrived, we were seated and provided our soup. Along with the soup came a plate of spring rolls, a plate of disgustingly cold and stale fried spring rolls, and a plate of fried shrimp - we didn't order any of this crap. We explained that we didn't want it and they acted like they didn't understand. We were charged way above the standard charge for both locals or foreigners in this case.

The real kicker is that I'm truly tired of being taken advantage of in Asia in general. The separate pricing for "forangs" vs the locals is absurd.

The lunch lady was a prime example of this.

But, please don't let this situation speak for all of Bourdain's recommendations/visits or Asia as a whole.

We followed him to the Cowboy hat pork lady in Chiang Mai and Banh mi Phong in Hoi An with great success.

But the lunch lady's soup was just average and the rip off that took place sealed the deal. 1 star it is.

2  Thank nolatodd
Reviewed July 3, 2016 via mobile

When we made up our minds to venture round Ho Chi Minh this place was on my list. On our final day here we got there. From District 1 we caught bus 19 (6000vnd), about a 5 min walk but you will need to cross the busy road, got there about 10am & sat down.

Even though the hours displayed from 10.30 to 3.30. We got our pho about 10.15am with a beer. Pho is 40,000 vnd. Was steamy & delicious. Broth gorgeous & complex. Monday was seafood - prawns, octopus, squid, beef & a pork ball.

There were people trying to sell lottery tickets but no other street vendors trying to sell food.

1  Thank rebecca o
Reviewed July 2, 2016 via mobile

Now, I understand that there is deception in having no menu in English knowing that tourists come to their place and just simply bringing everything to your table.

But guys, you can always say NO. Just motion for them to stop or that you do not want more food or just give back the dish to the server :) Please do it kindly.

Having said that, their PHO IS AMAZING!! I've been paying for mediocre overrated expensive version because this is the real deal! This is a must when in Saigon. Plus you get to see their normal life since there are more locals living near the area. Enjoy!

Date of visit: June 2016
2  Thank gladysm35
Reviewed July 2, 2016

Very good pho and a real locals place, not too difficult to find but a little off the beaten track. It is not really a restaurant rather a cluster of a few street food stalls. You sit and are served whatever is available. In my case I was asked if I wanted the soup (pho). OK so other 'vendors' may add to your table - in my case pancake and crispy rolls. But to have all this and a beer for 100 kDong is small change. This place has a reputation for really tasty food, and it delivers on that. However hygiene may not be number one priority and the floor area is pretty dirty. Its all outdoor seating on little plastic chairs. Not really a family place (as a tourist) but I would recommend finding it and trying the food nevertheless.

2  Thank MattJRichards