“Nice museum”

Full-Day Historical Discovery Tour of Ho Chi Minh City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is a nice museum with interesting things and history but there are other must see's in Ho Chi Minh before going to this museum

Reviewed October 6, 2013

This was on a tour that my father and I did of Ho Chi Minh City. Since I see an acupuncturist I really wanted to check this place out. I loved learning more about traditional medicine, but the beauty of the building is really what makes this a must see. It was simply stunning.

1  Thank becarita
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This museum is really beautiful inside. Part of the building is from the 1900's I think. It is run well by an herbal medicine company, but the product marketing is minimal. I actually learned some interesting things. This would be one of my top 4 in HCM.

1  Thank JRSandlin1
Reviewed September 15, 2013

A great way to learn about traditional Vietnamese medicine. the museum houses lots of old tools, books and samples of herbs. The museum itself is also pleasing to the eye, full of intricate wood carvings through out the place. For the small fee you get a tour guide and a cup of tea. There is also a short educational video that can be seen at the end.

1  Thank LJ_Can
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The FITO Museum does not feature on the tourist map for HCMC but it is a very enjoyable way to spend an hour or so away from the hustle and bustle.

The opening hours are Tuesday to Sunday, 0830 to 1730; other people have highlighted that the museum does close for lunch at midday - we got caught out by this at the War Remnants Museum, it seems to be a common theme in HCMC - so make sure you either arrive before 1030, or go mid-late afternoon.

The e-mail address for the place is fito_museum2006@yahoo.com.vn if you want to confirm any details before you go.

The address for FITO Museum given on Trip Advisor is correct (41 Hoang Du Khuong). It is unlikely that a taxi driver will know where the 'FITO Museum' is, so I would write the address clearly on a piece of paper in advance.

It cost us 72,000 Dong by meter taxi (use only Mai Linh or Vinasun, the others are not safe) going from District 1, and 51,000 Dong coming back; we used reputable firms both ways, so if I am being charitable the discrepancy is due to one way systems and traffic in combination.

The girl at the disk kindly called us a taxi afterwards, and you should do the same; there will not be as many taxis serving District 10 if you simply walk out onto the street.

The admission fee is 50,000 Dong per person, which includes the mandatory guided tour explaining the history of Vietnamese Traditional Medicine.

The guided tour is pretty good; perhaps a bit cheesy in places - you get the chance to 'dress up' as a Chinese doctor, for example - but kind of fun if you are prepared to 'give it a go'. Our guide had good English, and she was very friendly and attentive, and even regaled us with some genuinely humorous stories which is a very brave thing to do when speaking a foreign language.

As others have noted, the FITO Museum is a private museum owned and run by the FITO Pharma company; I wouldn't let this put you off any more than you would be put off going to see the Beatrix Potter museum or the Hornsea Pottery museum in the UK; it's the same principle. There is a short DVD at the end of the tour that mentions some of the history of the company, and the gift shop at the end of the tour is stocked with FITO Pharma products. There was absolutely no pressure to buy anything; we decided to buy a couple of things out of choice while we were sipping our mushroom tea because they looked quite good, and they were perfectly reasonably priced.

The whole experience took about an hour, all told. All in all, it was a pleasant way to spend an hour; it is worth noting that we had some background knowledge and interest in alternative therapies - my wife was a Shiatsu practitioner, and has studied some Chinese medicine - so that probably enhanced our experience.

If you set your expectations appropriately (i.e. a small, discerning pleasure) and you engage with the guide and be friendly and ask questions, I think you'll enjoy yourself and feel that you've discovered a hidden gem in the wider hot-house of HCMC.

7  Thank Peter R