“Another Great Experience at The Deck!”
Review of The Deck Saigon

The Deck Saigon
Ranked #66 of 3,241 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese, Contemporary, International
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“Another Great Experience at The Deck!”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I returned again to The Deck this past March 2013 and again it was outstanding! I can't get enough of the beautiful view. This time, while sitting on the deck watching the boats pass by, we enjoyed a few bottles of their awesome Rose and several appetizers -- all of which were outstanding. The staff is extremely professional and knowledgeable. I will return again!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank harrishoover
TheDeckSaigon, Manager at The Deck Saigon, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Harrishoover,

We are so happy to have had you as our guest once again. Its our pleasure that each time you come to Saigon all the way from Chicago for business you choose The Deck for your dining entertainment. We realize there are many restaurants to choose in your short time in Saigon so thank you again for choosing us. We look forward to welcoming you back again and safe travels!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne
“My husband's birthday”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

An excellent venue with tranquil river views should have excellent staff. It is not excellent when the waitress insinuates you are ordering too much fir yourself.
After trying the starters I decided to stick to vegetable side dishes; the pumpkin, the bok choy with shitake mushrooms, and also to have the tofu that proved tasty but scant from trying the entre menu. The raw tuna rolls were also good so I ordered some more. I avoided other seafood because the tiny pieces of squid were coated in a hard thick and salty batter and was just on the turn. A co diner ordered fish which I tried. It was overcooked and dry. The eggplant we shared was succulent if one avoided the super salty sauce. The bok choy had not one discernable fungi though the waiter assured me that two tiny specks were shitake. Well if they were, they were also completely overpowered by the same salty sauce the eggplant was cooked in. This combined with the stringiness of the bok choy rendered it inedible. It was meant to be a subtley flavored dish. The new batch of tuna was dry and powdery in texture compared to the first lot but tasty.
Overall the food was over priced for what we got and I preferred my banh cuon in the little crowded city cafe for 4500 vn Dong with a smile. Even the service was better than the waitress at the deck who took away bread and drinks without checking if we had finished them and began invasively tidying up when they were still serving drinks to us, managing to spill olive oil and balsamic all down my arm and on to my favourite dress. She apologised but offered no compensation. Her manner was officious and brusque throughout. For me this ruined the evening and I couldn't wait to leave.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Carlinar
Dear Carlinar,

Thank you so much for letting us know about your experience with us at The Deck. I'm sorry to hear it wasn't a great one and would like to let you know I am investigating exactly why the service manner by one of our staff was thought to be brusque as this is not commonplace. Please email me directly at geoffrey@thedecksaigon.com and we are happy to reimburse you for damage of your dress. We hope to see you again and prove to you that we're working hard everyday on making our guest experience a memorable one.

Nottingham
“Revisit”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I revisited The Deck and found it as excellent as before. The service is efficient and friendly. The atmosphere of the restaurant is wonderful, right overlooking the Mekong River. The food was delicious and imaginative. And the cocktails before dinner are fantastic sitting by the bar before dinner.. This restaurant is unique to Saigon and to me a must visit as part of any trip to that city.I just love it.

1 Thank Jane M
TheDeckSaigon, Manager at The Deck Saigon, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Jane M,

Thank you for your continued patronage! Its a pleasure to see you coming back again and again. We always try to focus on exceeding our guests expectation so when we hear comments like yours its very rewarding to us. I will be sure to share this with the rest of our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Deck very soon.
HK
“No better place to enjoy the river”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

In the years since the Deck first opened it has inevitably risen to the top of the list of must-visit restaurants in Saigon, and for good reason: there is no better place to enjoy the passage of time as demarcated by the sleepy flowing Saigon River.

The food is of a consistent and good quality, combining some Vietnamese with continental and fusion influences. While some may say the menu is confused, it all seems to work: good ingredients, and attention paid to each dish by the chef, rather than offering anything that seems 'de rigeur'. In particular the Phu Quoc prawns, calamari, ostrich steak and caramelized salmon deserve special mention.

While it is open for lunch also, it is the cocktail hour and dinner time that capture the ideal opportunities to let the location shine. Twilight at the Deck is magical. As the heat of the day dissipates, the cool breeze comes through, allowing one to silently enjoy the river as it moves some barges and much floating vegetation along the curves of water.

No restaurant is perfect, and the Deck has room to improve in certain areas. The wine list has remained largely unchanged through the years, with pricing that discourages consumption. This need not be the case. In a handful of visits the by-the-glass pour came to the table with questionable quality, though in such cases the staff were helpful to quickly replace the beverage.

Another gripe is not really the fault of the restaurant, but its success has changed the nature of a visit from what used to be a chance for some tranquility to more frequently one where the restaurant is packed to the brim with busloads of tourists. Good business for the restaurant, but certainly a reduced experience for the customer.

For a visitor to Saigon, a visit to the Deck allows an opportunity to experience and see another side of the city...a bit of an urban oasis. This should keep its popular standing for some time to come.

1 Thank bigyam77
Dear Bigyam77,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about The Deck on Trip Advisor. Its a pleasure to hear that you enjoy or menu and I will be sure to share this with our kitchen team. They've been hard at work updating many seasonal items so we hope you can come back soon to sample some. It's ironic that you should mention the wine list not changing for a while as we just did a major update to it that will come in effect next week. Please let me know next time you are here and I would love to show you and let you taste some of our new wines. We're very pleased about the choices - we hope you will be too!
Sorry that you felt a bit like the scene was too "touristy" when you came. Very seldom do we get tour groups here and you must have caught us on one of those nights. We still very much pride ourselves in the fact that we are a "hidden gem" and our goal is to keep that status!
Thank you again for your nice comments and the entire team at The Deck Saigon looks forward to welcoming you back soon.
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gourmet dinner at the Deck”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

On 11th March my wife & I had dinner at the Deck. It is a glorious setting overlooking the river - it was fascinating watching the huge barges going downstream. We started with cocktails while seated at the long bar. I particularly recommend the Mohito, my wife prefered the Pink Lady. We had a table just next to the river & had the foie gras followed by grilled lamb on a stick. The foie gras I was told was cooked by the chef & it was the best I have eaten outside France. The lamb was also delicious. The service was perfect. We travel much in S.E Asia & this was certainly the best restaurant I have eaten in. it was not expensive considering the venue, service & food.

• Visited March 2013
TheDeckSaigon, Manager at The Deck Saigon, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear RichardMilnes,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review about your recent experience with us at The Deck Saigon. I will be sure to share this with the chef's, bar and service staff as they will be pleased to hear your comments. We do hope to welcome you and your wife back to The Deck sometime very soon.